myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ACCESS AT TREASURE ISLAND
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airwave wrote:

Also, have a look at the map at the bottom of this page:
http://sftreasureisland.org/index.aspx?page=396

There is always the dynamite option: all we need is a ramp (or two) on the north side of the see wall, just to avoid the body drag to get out and the swim to get back in. (Although a very few seem to do just fine elegantly tacking back to the current ramp).

Alternatively (just to avoid the unavoidable swap team visit), a lot of sand bags opening a path above and across the see wall? or maybe an inflatable ramp? a lift? an inflatable balloon? a catapult? Shocked
rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until the Navy clears out and finishes their work, we should just be glad we have the current access. Last year the SFBA proposed a handful of very modest improvements (two new ramps over the revetment) that could have been paid for by the America's Cup Organizing Committee as mitigation for the loss of access at Crissy Field this season. Unfortunately until there is some political will to address this area, nothing will happen.

Fortunately the hubris of Larry Ellison's ego has meant little to no impact to windsurfing at Crissy Field this year.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very difficult to do anything about the Navy's schedule. The law on toxic clean-up means that such clean-up gets priority, and access is a secondary consideration. Congress has not appropriated a lot of money to fund the clean-up, particularly after the Tea Party representatives were elected to the house with an anti-environment agenda. And the Navy is not the fastest bureaucracy around. Sigh. Be glad we have what we have; the City of San Francisco has been pretty cooperative.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have seen the movie Elysium Mac. Conservatives vote for their own districts and not for projects in SF, as do liberals who don't vote for projects in Utah.

One thing I can tell you is that I haven't met a conservative or liberal who wants toxic waste in or around themselves or their families.

I'm ashamed to say that my son and I drove around TI looking for a place to sail and couldn't find it last month. We got lost in a housing project area and decided to go elsewhere. When I look at those plans, I'm encouraged. TI should sparkle, but sadly we'll both be in walkers by the time it's finished. My 1st visit to TI was depressing for sure, but the future looks bright.
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: TI Reply with quote

Anyone know the scoop about accessing TI from SF side during the bridge "closure"?
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a permit to even get on the bridge this weekend. Hopefully the construction is done for a Monday session when the tides get a little more favorable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: