myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SW wind..? where in MA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRuffus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: SW wind..? where in MA Reply with quote

Lets say, you were in Milford MA...and had barely enough time to drink a glass of water, and catch a sw wind after work...where is the closest place to kite or windsurf that has decent wind...? short of driving to mid cape.
scooper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I get a prize if I get the right answer? I don't live in Milford but I know the Boston/R.I. area a little.

How about Lake Cochituate in Framingham? It's lousy sailing but I did it a number of times before I learned to go to the coast. It's probably not kiteable.

If you want better sailing you probably have to go to Fogland R.I. or Duxbury. Pleasure Bay can be O.K. sometimes. These are all flat water spots, except Duxbury oceanside in NE.

Maybe there's something in upper Narr. Bay. or a bigger Lake in Western MA.

sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started sailing on Lake Chauncy in Westboro. It's the best lake for windsurfing in Eastern Ma. excepting Q. in Wakefield. However, the old man in our club there had a lot of friction with the young lifeguards at the town beach. The town came out and fenced off one launch and put up Jersey Barriers at the other. However, I still think that you can sail there. It's an easy drive up 495 to Rt. 9 and only a few miles from there. I've also considered Hopkinton State Park which is even closer to Milford. There's enough water, easy launching, but fickle winds. Finally, if you have the gonads, you could go to Lakeville and sail the reservoir. It's huge and potentially windy, but the use is restricted.
Number-nine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neds point mattapoisite is the closest
WaterKook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were in Milford ,MA I would move or take up bowling. Wink
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingdingbat wrote:
...the old man in our club there had a lot of friction with the young lifeguards at the town beach....

And the "Old Man" would be you, Brucie.

No surprise that friction occurred.

sailingfrootloop wrote:
...if you have the gonads, you could go to Lakeville and sail the reservoir. It's huge and potentially windy, but the use is restricted.

The reservoirs supply New Bedford and Taunton. Much better to sail Long Pond, which is ringed with cottages and used for boating. Long Pond is adjacent to the reservoirs and shares exactly the same weather. It even has a public landing with plenty of parking.

Check the map.
MikeLaRonde

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its windy enough, Chappaquoit (w. Falmouth) may be your best bet, its only 10-15 minutes after the Bourne bridge..495 to 25 to 28, just keep going straight.. turn right on Brick Kiln road, rt on 28A, then left onto Chappaquoit Rd.

its a really cool beach..check it out sometime before Memorial day..or actually, if you show up after 4-4:30pm thats usually fine (resident parking only)

Mike
inf2003

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Quanappowit in Wakefield really good for a lake? Do many people sail there? I work not far from there. I didnt realize that.
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quanappowit has been popular for windsurfing since I started sailing in 1986. I sailed there a lot until I realized that the wind is much more steady on the coast. It's still somewhat popular, still pretty gusty (but almost all lakes are). There has been a windsurfing race series there for about 20 years. It's one of the few race series still going. Lake Q is also popular for ice sailing.

Picture of Lake Q sailing here- http://waterloggedbyscooper.blogspot.com/search/label/Lake%20Quanapowitt

JRuffus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for offerings! most likely i will be kiting, so perhaps i wil go sniff them out and see what the potential of launching is, thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: