myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing in Indiana?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rroeder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing in Indiana? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of moving to Indianapolis for a good job. I know that it may be windsurfing suicide. However, there may be some posiblities on Eagle Creek reservoir in Indianapolis and also the southern end of Lake Michigan, 2.5 hours away.

I'd really enjoy hearing from local Indiana windsurfers (if they exist). What's it like over there?

-Roland
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's definitely windsurfing on Eagle Creek Res. You'll want lots of range in your gear, including plenty of lighter and medium wind gear, and then be ready to jump on it when it's good...

Here's the local real-time wind map for Indianapolis (forecasts are also available for every point on the map):

iWindsurf Indianapolis:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=2220&is_beta=true

and check here for the greater Chicago area:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=1684&is_beta=true
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://indywindsurf.com/index.html
rroeder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Hey,

Thanks for the information! If I come (which seems likely at this point), it would be really great to have some people to sail with. I've got everything from a free-formula board to a sinker and lots of sails, so it should be doable.

It's amazing--when I browsed places on Iwindsurf, I didn't see that Indianapolis sensor. Maybe I am using the old version.

Do you ever go up to Lake Michigan? Is it pretty good? I've sailed Crystal Beach and Lake Erie, Sauble Beach lake Huron, and Wasaga Beach on Georgian Bay. Does anyone know if the places at the southern end of Lake Michigan compair?

-Roland
lexbrus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing Equipment Indianapolis Reply with quote

Hi,

Do you guys know anyone who has some windsurfing equipment for sale at a reasonable price?

I am dying to try myself in this sport!

My email is: lexbrus@gmail.com

THANK YOU!

~Alex
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a local lake (the name of which I forget) that is windsurfed in southeastern Indiana. Wolf Creek or something like that. You might do a search about windsurfing around Louisville, KY. I remember sailing that lake when I lived in Louisville. Gusty but better than nothing. Of course, the Ohio River is where it's at for Louisville city sailing. It can be spectacular with a southwest breeze launching from Cox Park just north of downtown.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexbrus wrote:
Do you guys know anyone who has some windsurfing equipment for sale at a reasonable price?

Post your question as a new topic under the Windsurfing Discussion heading. Add your location.

Mike \m/
Windsurf83

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Michigan is killer, lots of great sessions to be had there
carl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out evanstonwindsirfing(dot)net for southern Lake MI and Wolf Lake. Indiana Dunes State Park is beautiful and has campgrounds. The Miller beach launch is about 1/4 mile west of the park.

2.5hrs is not that far and it's a straight road. Just rope the steering wheel to the door knob and put a brick on the gas pedal! Very Happy
FreakDrew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in NE Indiana (a MI transplant) and get over to Lake Michigan whenever possible. When it is on, it's great, but you should always have a SUP board, bike, etc. just in case.

I posted a little info about some of the more southern spots here:
http://miwindsurfing.com/forum/categories/windsurfing-launches/listForCategory

The curve of the southern part of the lake gives you good spots in south winds (Saugatuck) all the way around to northeast (Michigan City).

But get it while you can... late August thru early October are the primo days...

Drew
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: