myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anybody sailing in manhattan in front of Battery Park?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fstouls

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Anybody sailing in manhattan in front of Battery Park? Reply with quote

Guys,

I remember an article from Windsurfing mag or Windsport about two pros sailing on the rivers dowtown manhattan but the conditions were pretty poor as the wind was probably below 8 knts...

1/ Did anybody sail there? It can be pretty windy there, but not sure about the best wind direction...I guess South.

2/ Are you allowed to do so?

3/ What about the water quality there? not asking what you possibly think the quality is but rather if there are any official test available...

4/ Who would be signing in if we were organizing such a trip? Very Happy

Thanks
F.
Aranel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the problems would be finding a good launch site nearby. There are boat marinas, but they can be really fussy about people using their launch facilities. Unfortunately there aren't many public launches nearby, especially in Manhattan. I'll ask around.

I might also enquire Bonnie who runs the blog “frogma” (http://frogma.blogspot.com/). She's a New York City kayaker, and she'd probably know if there are any good launch sites in the area. The main windsurfing area is Plum Beach in Brooklyn, but that's a good sail from the Statue of Liberty.

I think you're allowed to sail near the Statue like any normal sailboat, but I'd be very cautious of crossing any line of buoys near the island. Homeland Security can be pretty paranoid down there for reason I don't need to explain.

As for water quality, the Hudson's pretty clean these days. Yes, it used to be America's cesspool, but it's improved a lot. There are beaches now on the Hudson and everything. There's a group of us Hudson River windsurfers, and I haven't heard of any health problems because pollution. Sometimes the water can be iffy after a serious rainstorm, but that clears up after a day or so.

The wind is normally out of the southwest, but that can be pretty variable and flukey. Check iWindsurf for that. Since the Statue is in NY harbor, tides will be a serious issue too. If you haven't sailed a river before, check the recent copy of “Windsurfing”, which has an article about river sailing. (I wrote it.)

I've actually considered a cruise like that. It would be a lot of fun. I think a floaty board, perhaps with a daggerboard, might be good to have around in case the winds are light. I personally sail with a Kona, which is a great river board. All of the sailors here own something they can stand on if the wind dies down.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you plan this trip. Perhaps some of us River Rats might want to come along.

-Ian

www.hudsonwindsurfer.blogspot.com
USAM1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: sailing ny harbor Reply with quote

another option would be trying to launch from liberty state park in jersey city. i'm not sure if its allowed, but may be worth a phone call if you've got a hankerin to give it a go. plenty of parking and grass there. check it out on google earth or live.com (birds eye view)
ukkachizz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you want to sail in this location for adventure's sake? If that is the case, then you might want to contact some of the guys that actually sailed that day. I know Trip Forman was there as a North rep, and he is pretty accessable through REAL kiteboarding down in Hatteras. He may provide you with some info. about the demo he did there years ago.
If you are simply a city guy looking for a place to sail, then it is just not worth the effort. Most NYC guys sail in the Western LongIsland area (Ocean/Bay/and Sound.) They carpool out, and the sailing is amazing just 30 to 40 min. from Manhattan (10 or more beaches with different conditions for different wind directions and preferences.) You can also almost guarantee a crew to sail with year round Hope this helps.
feuser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukkachizz wrote:
I assume you want to sail in this location for adventure's sake? If that is the case, then you might want to contact some of the guys that actually sailed that day. I know Trip Forman was there as a North rep, and he is pretty accessable through REAL kiteboarding down in Hatteras. He may provide you with some info. about the demo he did there years ago.
If you are simply a city guy looking for a place to sail, then it is just not worth the effort. Most NYC guys sail in the Western LongIsland area (Ocean/Bay/and Sound.) They carpool out, and the sailing is amazing just 30 to 40 min. from Manhattan (10 or more beaches with different conditions for different wind directions and preferences.) You can also almost guarantee a crew to sail with year round Hope this helps.

I know a guy who'a sailed the lower Hudson - not quite into NY harbor. From the Manhattan side, the only access was the launch ramp of the Kayak club. I don't think that's a reality for non-members. There is a "wild" launch uptown I am planning to explore, but it's miles from NY harbor and not a good idea to stray too far from your launch and exit point on a short board. The wind can shut down and you can be swept into high traffic areas with hi-speed ferries that will not be able to see or avoid a windsurfer with his/her sail in the water. The launch from Liberty State Park is probably least problematic, but then it does involve a drive across to NJ - time wasted if the conditions are good for ocean sailing.

I am planning to sail down the block from my house in upper Manhattan one day when the wind is dead south or North (the least favorable conditions on the ocean or LI sound). Not expecting an epic session, more an adventure.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Aranel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote to Bonnie at frogma and this is what she had to say:

Quote:
Liberty State Park would probably be your best bet. There's a public launch ramp there. Kayakers love paddling to the Statue of Liberty. Things to watch out for -

Traffic (there's tons especially as the weather warms up)

Currents up to 3 kts (you know those)

Security zone, either 100 or 150 yards, very strictly enforced, the harbor police won't care that that motorboat forced you into the zone, you'll be the one that gets fined. Marked in the summer, the buoys get taken in in the winter but the zone is still enforced.

So apparently there is a launch near the statue. Who knew? I grew up in the city, but that was when the Hudson was disgusting and nobody wanted to get in it. Things have changed.

Post on my blog if you plan a sail there.

-Ian

sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article in Windsurfing Mag last season about N.Y. windsurfing included some coverage of East River sailing.
feuser

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aranel wrote:
I wrote to Bonnie at frogma and this is what she had to say:

Quote:
Liberty State Park would probably be your best bet. There's a public launch ramp there. Kayakers love paddling to the Statue of Liberty. Things to watch out for -

Traffic (there's tons especially as the weather warms up)

Currents up to 3 kts (you know those)

Security zone, either 100 or 150 yards, very strictly enforced, the harbor police won't care that that motorboat forced you into the zone, you'll be the one that gets fined. Marked in the summer, the buoys get taken in in the winter but the zone is still enforced.

So apparently there is a launch near the statue. Who knew? I grew up in the city, but that was when the Hudson was disgusting and nobody wanted to get in it. Things have changed.

Post on my blog if you plan a sail there.

-Ian

FYI: The Security Zones for the lower Hudson and NYC are:

Any vessel or person in the water is not authorized in the following Security Zones:
• Within 150 yards of Liberty and Ellis Islands;
• United Nations, in the East River along the Manhattan shoreline from 125 yards offshore at the Queensboro Bridge to 175 yards offshore at East 35th Street;
• Within 25 yards of all bridge piers or abutments, Overhead power cable towers and Tunnel Ventilators in the waters south of the Troy, NY Locks;
• Within 100 yards of all anchored or moored Coast Guard vessels;
• Within a 100-yard radius of any Passenger Ship, or vessel or barge carrying Petroleum/Chemical Products in bulk; and
• Around Piers 84-96, Manhattan, bound by the following points: the northeast corner of Pier 96 where it intersects the seawall, thence to approximate position 40°46’23.1"N, 073°59’59.0"W, thence to approximate position 40°45’55.3"N, 074°00’20.2"W (NAD 1983), thence to the southeast corner of Pier 84 where it intersects the seawall, thence along the shoreline to the point of origin;
• The Indian Point Nuclear Power Station on the Hudson River. Within 300 yards of approximate position 41°16’12.4″N, 073°57’16.2″W. All vessels transiting the Hudson River in the vicinity of Indian Point are subject to random Coast Guard boardings.
• All waters of Bowery and Flushing Bays within approximately 100 yards of La Guardia Airport;
• All waters of Bergen Basin north of 40°39’26.4" N;
• All waters of Thurston Basin north of 40°38’21.2" N;
• All waters of Jamaica Bay within approximately 100 yards of John F. Kennedy Airport; and
• All waters of Eastchester Bay within approximately 100 yards of Rodman Neck, south of the City Island Bridge.

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
Aranel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Charlech, do you know about the Hudson River Windsurfers? We sail the lower Hudson and have members from NYC north. If you want to join, go to

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/HudsonRiverWindsurfers/

and send an e-mail for membership. We're always looking for river windsurfers. There are a lot of good launch sites on the lower Hudson and some great scenery.

BTW, I live just above the Indian Point Nuclear Power Plant, and it's no joke about those no-go zones. Violate that and you'll spend a night in jail *and* forfeit your kit.

-Ian
RickCronk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Windsurfing off the Battery Reply with quote

Regarding windsurfing off the Battery. I've recently participated in a paddle around Manhattan and found the waters off the Battery to be very bizarre. The East River and Hudson River tides are not always in synch and with more than a few ferry routes located in that area, the voodoo chop is horrendous. Any access further up the Hudson or further out in the lower bay would be far batter. In addition to the Windsurfing article last season, I believe there have been reports in American Windsurfer and the NEWJ.
Waiting for a tide cycle after heavy rain is always a good call when in close proximity of a large urban area.
Good luck, RC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: