myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Powerex vs Fiberspar
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Regarding carbon boom, you should take a serious look at the Maui Sails carbon booms too. Arguably the best front end in the business, to include full monocoque construction. A very very nice product, and really worthy of close consideration.

I have both a HPL monocoque boom and a Maui Sails monocoque boom, and apart from the Maui Sails boom head (which I prefer for slalom sails with tight boom openings and for SDM masts, I prefer the new HPL head for RDM masts), the booms are equally impressive and stiff. If you can get the HPL for a large enough discount to the Maui Sails boom, I'd get the HPL boom. You'll be very happy with either boom.
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the title seems to say it all I'm curious why not NoLimitz? I've owned both Fiberspar and Powerex masts in standard diameter. (and had more than my share of Fiberspar break) But when RDM's got popular I changed over to NoLimitz with no regrets and nothing but praise for the masts. My understanding is that Ezzy is the made by the same manufacturer but I can't confirm that.

Now how they work with NP sails I can't say but they are great with Northwave sails.....
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ezzy masts are made by NoLimitz( used to be made by PX )

but to Powerex specs, so the mast curve % is almost identical to PX.

the ferrel, spigot, male or female end whatever you want to call it is the same on Ezzy & PX...they interchange

opposite on NL.....do not enterchange with EZ PX

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NP was the last sail maker to acknowledge RDM's. Some staff that disliked them moved on. The OP asked about SDM's. RDM's may have the same bend, but rarely, if ever the same reflex. That's the difference between the 2.

RDM's don't down haul max well. SDM's, esp race, do.
RDM's pump well in the lightest of winds. SDM's can be too stiff sometimes.
RDM's don't break as likely as SDM's but still can.
.g.e.o.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a very useful link:
http://www.peterman.dk/masts-all-imcs01.htm
As for the boom, since Maui Sails carbon booms are available, be sure to take a good look at them. Those are really the top, and price isn't that much higher than (lesser quality) competitors.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have NP....had the X6 400, it broke now i have a PX Z-Wave which I like better but there seems to be more pressure on the top mast piece at the farrel.
haterrater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fstouls,
likewise, welcome to the US. Hopefully you won't find us too distempered.

Avoid Fibrespar. period. They are not good masts and they do not offer good service here in the states.
Powerex is fine, I guess,
though I would definitely recommend going with a skinny if you are using the 7.2 or the 6.7. I've used both sails with standard diameter masts, including an x6, and with skinnies.
and I've found that I prefer the sail with the rdm. Just as fast but more manueverable and way sexier.
John was right about the nolimitz too. Best masts on the market. The ezzy rdms will work fine too.

but whatever you do, please avoid the fibresprar.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haterrater wrote:
Hi fstouls,
likewise, welcome to the US. Hopefully you won't find us too distempered.

Avoid Fibrespar. period. They are not good masts and they do not offer good service here in the states.
Powerex is fine, I guess,
though I would definitely recommend going with a skinny if you are using the 7.2 or the 6.7. I've used both sails with standard diameter masts, including an x6, and with skinnies.
and I've found that I prefer the sail with the rdm. Just as fast but more manueverable and way sexier.
John was right about the nolimitz too. Best masts on the market. The ezzy rdms will work fine too.

but whatever you do, please avoid the fibresprar.

A contrary view regarding Fiberspar: I've used Fiberspar nearly exclusively since 1989. While things have changed since the early days, Fiberspar continues to offer some of the most consistent product when comparing one "identical" mast to the other. While no mast brand will work ideally on every sail, I think it's unfair and particularly inaccurate to trash an entire brand as "not good masts." This discharge comes from the same guy who sais, essentially, seat harnesses are useless.

Other than bend consistency, the only other reason I've stuck with Fiberspar over the years has been their exceptional customer service. I busted a Fiberspar FW boom going over the falls and Fiberspar replaced the snapped tail piece without charge. When an RDM extension failed after getting pogoed in shore break Fiberspar replaced the failed plastic piece. I've been a customer for a long time and there is no doubt that it is because of Fiberspar's quality and service.

YMMV of course.
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used powerex rdms on NP searches and cores when NP was disclaiming rdms...
yeah the sail cuts are different, but for wave freestlye minimal.
love powerx and their service

LoveSplittingLanes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Powerex ou No Limitz Reply with quote

Salut,
J'ai abandonne les FIBERSPAR du fait de la casse.... Suis d'abord passe aux POWEREX RDM (excellents mats). Suis recemment passe aux NO LIMITZ RDM car plus rigides pour mon poids lourd.... Conseil : vas pour les POWEREX si tu es <80Kg. Si >80kg, je conseille les NO LIMITZ. Bienvenu aux US! O.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: