myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
wadell on a southerly storm?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
89Spring

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: wadell on a southerly storm? Reply with quote

Does this work? The sensor has been showing decent numbers.
wetdog69

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: waddell Reply with quote

10 knots with big water never works well at waddell.
89Spring

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the southerly storm fronts with squall lines come and go. All I was asking is if works when there is breeze from that direction.
crashman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I've been to Waddell when there's a south wind it looks really wierd and fluky. I had a blast down at Manresa on a south wind one day. Seemed like a small sail/floaty board was the right combo because, of course, all of the lulls occur when you're trying to get out...
SWE106

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

89Spring wrote:
I know the southerly storm fronts with squall lines come and go. All I was asking is if works when there is breeze from that direction.

dude, not to be a pain in the behind, but your subject title states: "wadell on a southerly storm?" so do you wanna know if waddell works on a storm or on a breeze? As far as I am concerned: it sucks (gusty, gnarly, heavy, current, ugly). There are better places on south winds, but you better make sure the swell is small, and I mean <5-6ft.
churan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the coast can be fun on south winds. but not all days are as steady as others. You also have to factor tides, currents, swell size and period. Any given good day will blow hard, back off, blow hard again etc. Timing is a challenge compared to summer. That said i have had great south days at pescadero,half moon bay, linda mar, sloat, vfw, stinson and bolinas. If you curtail your expectations you will have fun. It beats sitting on the couch waiting for spring. Best of luck
tsokat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodega and HMB are much better choices
ctuna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: sometimes people sail cowells on southerlys Reply with quote

Saw I guy out yesterday at Cowell's ,next to the Wharf in Santa Cruz, some of the Waddell and Davenport people will sail it on Winter storms with southerly's. Haven't seen it happen much this year.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed OB and Bolinas on Southerlies.

Bolinas was really fun, a little work to get out but fun once on the outside. Side on wind.

OB was a nightmare as usual and the wind likes to drop off suddenly just to add to the survival sailing.

Don't bother with OB unless you want a nice $1K gear loss day, never really worth it.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of fun Southerly days at OB, but the place is pretty finicky. Still not quite sure what makes or breaks a day here, but I have some ideas...

low tide: seems like a lowish tide allows you to walk out a little ways to get into the wind before getting pounded. seems like with higher tides you just get more lines of whitewater to battle and you have to deal w/ the possibility of grounding out on the inner bar.

storm front: i think you want to catch there very front of the storm... if it's been blowing for a couple hours or days, the waves and conditions get really messy, but if the wind is just starting to turn on and comes up quickly, you can have relatively clean conditions and good wind.

smallish waves: wind swell quickly ramps up the wave size here, so if it's big to begin with, it soon gets gnarly

usually launch at the south end of the parking lot at Lincoln. I pussed out the other day Sad but other people got some.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: