myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
So. Cal Sailing Log

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: So. Cal Sailing Log Reply with quote

County Line peaked at 30 mph with gusts to 40 mph. Overhead surf, epic conditions if rigged properly! What were other So. Cal. spots like?

Places like Santa Barbara, San Diego, k39 anyone?
laci

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, you didn't say if you made it out or not. I was looking at the chart on the computer and thinking about how cold it would be, and how out of control it looked, and I wimped out. It didn't seem to be a smart way to start the season after a couple months of getting out of shape. Then I checked the County Line camera on surfline and I saw a couple of kites but did not see any windsurfers during the time I was watching it.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because we were behind the swells! Yes it was very cold, very gusty, and alot of white water. When I was there 4 sailors were out. KMc was pulling off some beautiful back loops on a 5.0. I could barely hold on to my 5.0 so he must have been nuking.

When the wind came up there were only 2 kites on the water. Victory at sea type sailing.

Nobody was at Leo when I drove by, but it would have been more mellow there.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attempted to make an afternoon of it yesterday, but the wind was way too strongly offshore along the Gaviota coastline. When that happens the wind in Santa Barbara and Goleta is a squirrely up and down onshore wind that's frustrating.

On a positive note, I bought my new state park pass at El Capitan and the price is still only $125/yr. With all the state's financial difficulties, I half expected that the price would skyrocket.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pass expires soon. That is a great deal for anyone who is going to spend more than 10 days at the parks!

Sad to hear the winds didn't fill in for SB.

How about down south anyone? What about N. Baja k39? I'd love to hear someone still sails there on clearing winds! I've sailed there and it can be epic.
Kevinmc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like another round coming Thursday! NWS is already calling for a ton of wind in the Santa Barbara Channel/ Malibu. Waves are expected to be from a pretty steep angle, though. Makes it not as fun at C-St. If Isla Vista doesn't have waves, I might have to check out County again! Monday was the first time I've sailed there with any waves. I think it was fun.....still not sure.....definitely CRAZY!! See ya out there!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

County was good yesterday if you were patient enough or lucky enough to get out at the right time. ie. early or late

The middle of the afternoon was up and down.

Baja anyone? San Diego?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: