myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New England windsurfer moving to Portland area!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blosordo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: New England windsurfer moving to Portland area!! Reply with quote

Well, I've loaded up the jeep with all the gear I could fit, windsurfing gear as well as some bikes and ski gear and I'm hitting the road tomorrow. I'll be arriving on the 12th after ski breaks in Breckenridge and Salt Lake City. My boards are an Angulo Sumo 105 and a JP FSW 85 (second year of production). I have Worldsails Surge 6.3 and 5.2, and Blast 4.6 (single cam). Weight 190lb. Skills: moderate, some airs, make some jibes.

Two questions:
1. How does this kit look? I probably need some smaller sails, what do you suggest for additional gear?

2. Does anyone have a temporary place for rent? I'm looking to get the lay of the land before I decide on a permanent place. I've struckout so far on craigslist, any other suggestions for temporary housing websites?

See you in the gorge, on the coast, but probably until April on the mountain!
Thanks,
Benny Very Happy
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a 4.0 for sure. I get by ok without needing my 3.5 just flatten out the 4.0.

look at windance and 2nd wind for a used 4.0 in Hoodriver or by a new at the Gorge Surf shop, they have loft sails under $300....
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is a 4.0 or so, followed closely by a smaller board for the days that 4.0 is really lit up.

The longer answer is ... There's so damned much excellent used and/or closeout gear your head will spin. If you want to haul it around and mess with it, you will get a lot of use out of everything from a 10.0 to a 2.8, from 175 liters to 65 liters, from Formula boards to wave boards, plus many days on PWC and/or wake boards. It's all a question of priorities. You could approach it either way ... haul around so much crap that you can get wet every evening you're not working, or buy only what you really enjoy sailing and make the drive only when you're pretty sure the wind will cooperate.

Your skill progression, fitness, grins, etc. favor making sure you can play every day. Your sanity, gear and fuel expenses, and career favor exercising rational constraint. There are reasons many of us here are wind snobs.

Then there are snow sports, mountain and dirt bike trails, the coast, climbing, kayaking ... the sky is the limit.

Unless you like sailing in ice water wearing thick gloves, booties, and hood, you'll be here long before the WSing season starts, giving you at least 6-8 weeks to worry about scouting gear.

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On nuker days you'll be very glad to have a 3.2. Not that much difference in sail performance between designs when they're so small, so you can easily find used ones here that work great for under $25.... same goes for a 4.0..... plenty of used gear in the Gorge, it grows on trees.

Check out swap meets in Spring & summer.... tons of great stuff for real cheap.
fearnobeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benny, not sure if you tried Copper Mountain ski area but it is worth a look. Lots of varied terain and the outdoor bar is one only a step up with $2 beers. Very Happy

I'm so jealous, what a fun trip!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: New England windsurfer moving to Portland area!! Reply with quote

Yup, what everybody else said. I weigh in at about 185, so we're similar in size. You'll be wanting a 4.0, 3.2, and a 75 ltr board, but you could
get away with just a 4.0, if you just move up or down the river when
you get blown off. That 85 ltr FSW is going to be your go to board for
most conditions you'll encounter. Depending on the year, my most used
sail has been either 4.2, 4.7, or 5.5. I'm still waiting for a year when 3.7
will be my most used sail, but my 3.7 does see some use, and my
3.2 gets out a few times a year. I've also been known to rig my 6.7
on my big RRD Freeride (I think it's around 100 ltrs) a few days a
season. What Mike and Pete say is true about loads of cheap good used gear.

You'll be up in plenty of time for the Windance swap meets
http://www.windance.com/swapmeet-pg-20.html.
You can get some very inexpensive gear there, but if you're savvy at the
launches you can find some really inexpensive gear.

The ski season here in Utah has been "pretty good" this year also.
We''re about to come into a week long snow, so if you make it
out here by next week you should see some good conditions.

Safe journeys,

-Craig

blosordo wrote:
Well, I've loaded up the jeep with all the gear I could fit, windsurfing gear as well as some bikes and ski gear and I'm hitting the road tomorrow. I'll be arriving on the 12th after ski breaks in Breckenridge and Salt Lake City. My boards are an Angulo Sumo 105 and a JP FSW 85 (second year of production). I have Worldsails Surge 6.3 and 5.2, and Blast 4.6 (single cam). Weight 190lb. Skills: moderate, some airs, make some jibes.

Two questions:
1. How does this kit look? I probably need some smaller sails, what do you suggest for additional gear?

2. Does anyone have a temporary place for rent? I'm looking to get the lay of the land before I decide on a permanent place. I've struckout so far on craigslist, any other suggestions for temporary housing websites?

See you in the gorge, on the coast, but probably until April on the mountain!
Thanks,
Benny Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New England windsurfer moving to Portland area!! Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I'm still waiting for a year when 3.7
3.2 gets out a few times a year.

As they say, "You shouldda been here yesterday", or more precisely, early last season. Every local I've asked agrees that it was the windiest early summer on record, with days upon days of solid and steady 3.2/3.0 winds of mid-July thermal quality ... plus several more days of equally windy but HORRIBLY gusty crap. We're sure we used our 3.x sails more in May and June than we usually do in 2-3 years altogether. Unfortunately, it wasn't obvious from forecasts and wind data --- i.e., from Hood River or TriCities -- which days were the good stuff vs the "screw that!" variety.

Mike \m/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New England windsurfer moving to Portland area!! Reply with quote

Yes I shouldda! Maybe this year.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
cgoudie1 wrote:
I'm still waiting for a year when 3.7
3.2 gets out a few times a year.

As they say, "You shouldda been here yesterday", or more precisely, early last season. Every local I've asked agrees that it was the windiest early summer on record, with days upon days of solid and steady 3.2/3.0 winds of mid-July thermal quality

Mike \m/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: New England windsurfer moving to Portland area!! Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

As they say, "You shouldda been here yesterday", or more precisely, early last season. Every local I've asked agrees that it was the windiest early summer on record, with days upon days of solid and steady 3.2/3.0 winds of mid-July thermal quality ... plus several more days of equally windy but HORRIBLY gusty crap. We're sure we used our 3.x sails more in May and June than we usually do in 2-3 years altogether. Unfortunately, it wasn't obvious from forecasts and wind data --- i.e., from Hood River or TriCities -- which days were the good stuff vs the "screw that!" variety.

Don't forget last year also had the best (largest) swell....and the coldest water during spring.

blosordo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice! I 'll be looking for that 4.0 to start with.

I made it to the promised land of Oregon, after a lot of skiing, too much driving and only one unexpected delay. I lost the alternator in Columbus, OH, but was back on the road after only 4 hours (Tran's Auto in Columbus, cheap and quick!) I telemarked at A-basin in perfect packed powder, then hit Utah, where I went to the Canyons and Alta for good knee+ powder!

I've very impressed with the weather I've seen in my first week and a half here. Very mild and pleasant, totally unlike MA in February. Sure, it rains everyday, but its also sunny everyday. I'm also very impressed with the quality of the city and its proximity of such great sporting opportunities!
It's On!
Benny

Last edited by blosordo on Sun May 17, 2009 9:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: