myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
" Bad tuned Sail "

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:09 am    Post subject: " Bad tuned Sail " Reply with quote

i have a gaastra matrix that i decided get creative with last season; the bottom batten was wrinkled when it arrived at my house Via UPS. I figured that if I tighten the batten the crease would spead out, It did. But had done this I noticed that it gave the sail a deep shape. I did the same to all of the battens and now that the sail is out of shape it sucks. And I feel like a dumbass. Would anybody know the correct tension or give me a direction.
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an ezzy video, but as far as batton tension, it should be the same for all makes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJUzvz2yrWM&feature=related
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, battens should be juuuuuust tight enough to almost eliminate all the little wrinkles crossing each batten pocket.

Mike \m/
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Generally speaking, battens should be juuuuuust tight enough to almost eliminate all the little wrinkles crossing each batten pocket.

Mike \m/

Very generally speaking, Mike. Batten tension achieves many things, not the least of which is to create skin tension within the sail. Skin tension is another way to describe the effect of an overall smoothing of the tension lines within the sail's panels. Most sails of the last five years are designed for a lot more batten tension than most people apply. The screw-type tensioners exist less because of the reduction in drag by removing the lever-buckles and the floppy straps and mostly because of the ease of achieving the high loads required to get skin tension and otherwise high-tensioned sails. A floppy strap just can't cut it.

IMHO, a better general rule is that most current sails require at least slightly more (not less) tension than required to remove the wrinkles from the batten pocket.

Jim: The Matrix is a sail intended to be sailed with a softer feel and will require slightly less batten tension than, say, a cammed racing sail. But what batten tension will do in any sail is expose other tuning issues and possibly mast/sail incompatibility. You say adding tension creates a deep shape. This might be true on the beach, but that deep shape may not be so deep when powered up. I suggest that you try a progressive amount of batten tension, using the most tension in the No. 5 batten (about the same in the foot batten) and then progressively less as you go up to No. 4 and again to No. 3 etc. For the No. 2 and 1 battens, tension no less than like Mike suggests.

Honestly, it sounds like you might need more downhaul or have a mast that is too stiff.
-Dan
jordanwd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a side note,
you got to admit, ezzy has got the BEST rigging guide/tutorials than anyone else out there.. i just viewed the downhaul/outhaul as well as the batton tensioning videos and am very impressed..wish ALL sails did that!
with that said ezzy should probably state which mast they were using with those vids (their own i'm sure)...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: