myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
almost one more month till the main season...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had alot of strain issues a few years ago, shin splints, sore feet, metatarsal issues ect. Until i was fitted with arches & a pair of 13A New Balance shoes. They all went away after that. I really hope that I don't overdue it to lead to later health issues, but being young , I think it's important to keep myself doing positive things because most other activitys 20 somthings are into are so destructive. " cant party when I gotta go to the gym early or better yet, gotta get up early to go Sail"...
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimwilkins wrote:
I had alot of strain issues a few years ago ... I really hope that I don't overdue it to lead to later health issues, but being young , I think it's important to keep myself doing positive things

As long as you emphasize variety, use proper form, don't hammer the same muscles two days in a row, minimize impact (running is not the healthiest exercise around, as you've discovered), balance the strength of opposing muscles, use full but not extreme range of motion, and avoid specific harmful exercises, it's pretty hard for even us geriatric exercisers to overdo it. I feel more energized after my gym sessions than before; the primary thing that keeps me from repeating the entire endurance portion of my workout is that because I have a life outside the gym, three to five nonstop hours of many different exercises is enough gym time for one day. I'll save the marathon specific-muscle endurance sessions for closer to the beginning of our season.

And while yoga offers some benefits, I think Pilates is much more productive in many ways, especially its emphasis on core muscles, which support our otherwise limp spine and connect our upper body to our lower body. Realize, too, that muscle endurance and neuro-motor function are extremely sport-specific. To optimally train a muscle for a given sport, it must be exercised in the precise range, amount of resistance, speed, and path as it is employed in the sport. There's very little crossover training effect, and many very common exercises, such as curls and crunches, are not of much use except maybe to competitive body sculptors.

Mike
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks isobars, a bit subtly of course, for the Pilates advice. I'll will have to investigate and learn whether it's my thing. Sounds very encouraging though.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
...don't hammer the same muscles two days in a row...

Mike

Isn't that what windsurfing does if done every day?
madmax7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: 1 more month... Reply with quote

where do u guys start sailing in march. i am in So Cal and start goind to Lake I in April.

Where should I start going in March?

Max
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Thanks isobars

Let the healing begin.

jse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1 more month... Reply with quote

madmax7 wrote:
where do u guys start sailing in march. i am in So Cal and start goind to Lake I in April.

Where should I start going in March?

Max

Anywhere where NW winds benefit. I'm in Northern Cal, so that would be 3rd, Crissy, Tomales, anything on the coast. Not sure what works in Socal.

Steve
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well max, things are really dependent on frontal systems, so a windy situation can develop either from a southeasterly direction as the front approaches, or a west to northwesterly clearing wind as the front passes.

Being in the Santa Barbara area, I would say that the best bets are C Street, Ledbetter, IV, Haskills (The Bacara Resort), El Capitan or Jalama. However, often the winds will favor selected areas and be virtually nonexistent at others. Arguably though, two of the best focal points are IV/Haskills (no iWindsurf sensor is available, but the SB Airport report can be helpful) and Jalama. But I have to say that if C Street goes off, no need venture any further west.

Another spot a bit closer to the LA area is County Line (pretty much at the juncture of the LA and Ventura County lines). It tends to catch the same clearing winds as C Street. The iWindsurf sensor at Leo Carrillo is a good indicator. Leo can blow too, but it's my understanding that the wind is often a bit more sketchy on the inside.
laci

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spring season is almost entirely about fronts moving through, no thermals, and March 1st is usually the start. Basically almost any beach will be windy on a typical clearing wind day, that is if your timing is correct. Clearing winds tend to blow for a few hours and then die suddenly, so knowing the local conditions is even more important.

On the plus side, clearing winds are pretty predictable so being ready to go at the first sign of wind is relatively easy. Of course many beaches are just not ideal for sailing, even if they get windy on occasion, so the tried and true spots get most of the action. To me one of the advantages of the spring is less driving. I can be at a good windsurf beach in ten minutes, instead of forty five, which is how long it takes me to drive to Leo for thermals. County is definitively better than Secos on clearing wind days. Just a lot more gnarly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: