myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing at Club Med Turks and Caicos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killeen_john

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing at Club Med Turks and Caicos Reply with quote

Some friends are planning a group trip to Club Med Turks & Caicos in June and I was curious to hear from others that have been there. How was the equipment and conditions? This is not intended to be a windsurfing trip and I have low expectations for gear at an all inclusive, but I'm still hopeful to get out and play.

Thanks in advance,
John
e43992

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing at Club Med Turks and Caicos Reply with quote

killeen_john wrote:
Some friends are planning a group trip to Club Med Turks & Caicos in June and I was curious to hear from others that have been there. How was the equipment and conditions? This is not intended to be a windsurfing trip and I have low expectations for gear at an all inclusive, but I'm still hopeful to get out and play.

Thanks in advance,
John
e43992

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stayed at Club Med Turquoise Nov 2007, also on a non-windsurf trip. I was pleasantly surprised at gear and conditions. Mediocre gear for free, but higher-end if you pay a daily fee. Exocet boards and pretty new rigs, harnesses etc...Flat water blasting out to reef. I had 2 days of 5.5.
Kevinmc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

Just saw your post and can give you the latest rundown on CM Turkoise. I go every year, just got back in January '09. I always bring my own gear, but......

Club Med meeting your expectations for gear and conditions will probably depend on what your ability, type of sailing (waves, lake, flat water, etc.) is at home.

CM has updated gear which includes the newer Exocets and Kona longboards and Aerotech sails. With all the abuse the gear gets from the guests, many of the boards are starting to delam and the sails are a little thrashed. If I remember right, boards are running around 230L to 125L and "non-beginner" sails from 4.5-8.0 or so. If you have room, bring your own harness. They were hurting a bit. All thrashed seat harnesses except for one small waist harness.

If you are an advanced sailor used to the best gear, you won't be stoked. Unfortunately, CM doesn't have the luxury of picking the most knowledgeable "advanced" instructors, either. They are very competent up to the intermediate level, but I worked with them a bit to re-rig some of the sails properly. Occasionally there will be an instructor that is actually an advanced windsurfer and really knows his stuff, but the instructors are continually changing and it's kind of a luck of the draw for when you happen to be there.

If you are an intermediate sailor and just looking to get out and enjoy the most beautiful water you've ever seen, you'll be fine. Even if you're advanced, just get out there! You'll forget about the gear because of the beauty!

June is a tough time for wind, so I wouldn't expect much. Get Scuba certified if you're not already! If it does happen to get windy, it's pretty much wide open bump and jump conditions. There are waves on the outer reef, but DO NOT even try unless you're an advanced wave sailor. It's very shallow and you really need to know what you're doing. They probably won't even let you go out there on their equipment anyways. Not sure if it will still be there in June, but there was a little sand bar that recently formed just to the left of CM (facing the water) about 1/2 way to the reef. Had some nice little playfull waves over a sandy bottom that would be great for intermediates.

Also, the "daily fee" for higher-end gear mentioned in another post is not the case anymore.

If you end up liking it and wanting to go back, plan for Nov-Feb to get the best sailing conditions. 4.5 to 6.0 when cold fronts go through. Attached pic is 5.3 and 84L.

Wind or no wind you'll have a great time!!! Feel free to PM me or post more questions.

-Kevinmc
killeen_john

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thorough feedback Kevinmc! I'll be sure to pack my harness and hope to get some play time on the water.

Best Regards,
John
Kevinmc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Had trouble with the pic, but here it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: