myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sebastian Inlet Sailing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70K hits and climbing!! Funny, I heard a reference to Sebastian Inlet on the T.V. series Glades last night.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailingjoke wrote:
70K hits and climbing!! Funny, I heard a reference to Sebastian Inlet on the T.V. series Glades last night.

Brucie, it's just people looking for free entertainment.

How come you never answer the emails I send you? I surely miss those intellectual discussions we've had.....Wink

Hint: Open up your blog so others can visit, since you clearly want readers...
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like Sebastian and Wabasso launches will be hit by some rather high winds and rain soon if not already. Hurricane Sandy will pass by far enough from the shore not to do much damage I hope. Our condo is right on the ocean.
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
It looks like Sebastian and Wabasso launches will be hit by some rather high winds and rain soon if not already. Hurricane Sandy will pass by far enough from the shore not to do much damage I hope. Our condo is right on the ocean.

Will you be there this season, Brucie?
speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we are approaching the big 75,000 hits mark so I'm adding this report on a recent session.
It's been a couple of days since I sailed from Wabasso NW, but I am going to try and put down my thoughts about the experience now before they are forgotten. We were sailing there Sunday, the 18th of November, 2012. The winds weren't forecast to be strong, but they definitely exceeded expectations. At the park on the NE shore, my windtronics reading was an average of 17.7 mph with gusts into the 20's. After I took my reading an older fellow I know from New York landed his rig and we talked a bit in the face of this directly on shore blast. He had trouble getting upwind and away from the causeway. The state in it's eternal quest to restrict and hassle had lined the shores of the north facing beaches with coral rock. The had only allowed two small breaks in this barrier for access. Even these small places have been made an obstacle for windsurfers as they have put up fence posts to "guard" them. He had been blown into the rather ominous and large rocks that had been put along side the bridge edges and had a difficult time trying to stay away from the bridge itself. Part of his trouble, too, was that he was sailing an old Electric Rock with a narrow tail. Modern boards are much easier to sail upwind.
After hearing his woeful tale, I decided to move to another launch area. At first I considered going to clam beach, but then changed my mind when I went back to the village of Orchid. Sandy has left a legacy hereabouts. The waters of the Indian river are higher and deeper than they have been in the past. There was dramatic beach erosion sea side, too. The tide was high and water was threatening to spill into the parking lots. I didn't want to risk the deeper waters nearer to the Sebastian inlet since this was my first day out in Florida. I haven't sailed for about a month and was using different equipment than I have been used to. I proceeded to Wabasso NW and rigged an 8.0 double camber induced N.P. V-8. It's easier at NW to remove a board from the roof of a vehicle as there are some trees that protect the lot. The Fanatic Shark came down, and I put the stock 50cm fin on it.
Thinking back to when I was launching from NW the first time back in '92 I don't remember the coral border or any hassles. It was different now. There is a grassy rig area near the unencumbered launch area, but it is not protected and requires expert skills in keeping a rig down. The chop on the water was big for sure. I have found that these Florida Indian river waters at high tide offer more wave action in lower winds than the surface of Waquoit bay. I would have done better with something like my Angulo Sumo 125, but I don't have that board in Florida. Upwind was no problem for me, though, with this equipment. The V-8's are great for that when fully outhauled. I saw one other sailor on the water, but only for a brief time. He was dong well, but quit to watch me with the old timer from shore. I, too, did not stay out long as I am not in the best of shape for this sport. In fact I took one long blast in the straps and decided to work my way back to the launch.
There's been a lot of threads on i-windsurf forums regarding the pro's and con's of camber induced sails. One con that isn't mentioned often because it would be an admission of some lack of skill would be that the luff sleeve fills with water when downed and makes for a heavier sail to uphaul or water start. In order to stay upwind, I only attempted a couple of gybes and was content with falling in the water. This made for a washing machine type experience given the heavy chop. I haven't mastered tacking with this Fanatic board, either. The sun was shining, though, and the water temps were warm enough for a 3/2 over the knee shortie. All told, given that I didn't do much more than put a few scratches on the edge of my board, it was a fun day.
pueno

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
Well, we are approaching the big 75,000 hits mark so I'm adding this report on a recent session.

What does sailingjoke have to say about this, Brucie?

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving to you and mom, Big Guy. Hope she's going OK, at her age. And you, too.

I'll leave all the turkey jokes aside for the moment. And the stuffing jokes, too.
Karylmatt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now a lot of people come from different places have a great interest in metal detecting, especially for the gold. And this can also be a reason that why the "gold rush" once was really hot. And since that moment large amounts of people paid a lot of energy and time of hunting for treasure. Now with the development of the technology and advanced science, the metal detector for gold have come into the market to help people when they are hunting for the metal materials and goods and it can really be a good assistant to help people with treasure hunting.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're over 76K hits on this thread. That would be over a thousand five hundred in six weeks. I'm now thinking about buying the unfinished condo complex that lies on the water in Sebastian.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to see another 2,000 hits on this thread in as many months. Unfortunately, though, I may never sail this area again.
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
It's great to see another 2,000 hits on this thread in as many months. Unfortunately, though, I may never sail this area again.

Has your family given up the condo? And what about your plans to buy another condo in the neighborhood?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 31 of 32

Jump to: