myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Selling on Craigslist: Does this happen to you?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistral10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Selling on Craigslist: Does this happen to you? Reply with quote

When I post an item for sale someone always seems to ask if other things are included in the sale.

Here's an email exchange on an ad.

Subject: North Sails 5.5 X-ply Windsurfing Sail

Buyer: Hello, I saw your ad on craigslist and was very interested. I was wondering if you were selling a mast and a boom with the sail or if you are selling just the sail?

Me: A mast, a sail, and a boom for 40 bucks? Are you a spammer?

Buyer: Not a spammer, just thought that you might not have only been selling the sail. Unfortunately the highest I can pay is $20.00 right now, so if you're open to negotiations let me know.

Me: I did not respond to his last email.

I'm curious to hear what others think because this seems to happen on a regular basis.
westender

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy low sell high. Not everyone is willing to pay a fair price. I did a CL transaction yesterday and seller and buyer were very happy. Doesn't always happen that way.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are used to see products on ebay, where you NEED to post whats included.

the bargin hunters are always a PITA, normally consider you will get beat up on the price and list a little higher.

kills me too, guy wanted to know if the alloy boom was CARBON, yea right for 35bucks its carbon, its just in the way here

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the reason I stick with iwindsurf for selling stuff. You stand a much better chance of buyers and sellers being on the up n up here than Craigs or ebay. (enter pimp my sails here)I've sold one of three sails and so far so good. The buyer was pleasantly surprised and I got my payment. No muss, no fuss. Check out the Ezzy 5.0 and 6.5 in buy/sell!
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre probably thinking of craigslist the wrong way, it can be great for buying and selling, but you have to approach it the right way. Its not so much a market as yard sale/swap meet. The best thing you can do is be completely over detailed about what you have and try to anticipate retarded questions like that and include them in the ad, and you actually should specify that you are not open to lower offers. Those two things cut down on the stupid email factor quite a bit and generally leave you with people that know what theyre getting and what they should expect to pay for it. If you get a few low ball a simple no thanks, not interested in lowering the price and they fade into the mist Laughing (a lot of the tiime to reappear a little later with your full asking price in hand)
MikeLaRonde

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people seem to negotiate for its own sake...take it personally...feel like paying an asking price is akin to losing. Best way to make them feel like they are getting a deal: include a useless piece of junk for free .. like an old base with one pulley. Thanks to Fast Eddie for showing me that one. Laughing )
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I have trouble with swaps. Last time I went to the Seal Beach swap here in SoCal the guy behind me had a 2-year-old Gaastra in excellent condition rolled out for a "buyer", who said "Will you take $20.?" I almost ran over there & slapped her myself!
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craigslist is a bit different than the real swap meets, there are a lot of people on there with no idea what they have or what its actually worth. A lot of the numbers are pulled from thing air and many people just want the stuff out of their house with some cash to show for it. My best score was a 2007 (this was in 2009) Bic Nova complete with Solo 6.5, carbon mast, nice boom all the bits and pieces, a rolling board bag and rig bag all bought together new and only used a couple of times... for $200 Very Happy . Of course this was in phoenix and the guy kept calling it a wind board Laughing ... I sold it a year later to a guy for $600 and he was so happy with his deal he was practically skipping away.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
That's why I have trouble with swaps. Last time I went to the Seal Beach swap here in SoCal the guy behind me had a 2-year-old Gaastra in excellent condition rolled out for a "buyer", who said "Will you take $20.?" I almost ran over there & slapped her myself!

You might be amazed how often the answer is "Yes". I've bought many like-new or nearly-new boards, Nolimitz Skinny masts, wet suits, fins, etc. at swaps for as low as 10 cents ... often for 20 cents for last year's unchanged and unused board ... on the dollar. Current year premiere wave board, under warranty, 30 cents on the dollar. A bud got two fairly current boards plus three complete very good rigs for $200. Another got last year's Ezzy Wave Panther, looking unused, for $30. Curtis G-10 wave fins you can't tell have been used: $20. Giant Curtis carbon weeds, $45 before making a lower offer. Perfectly good 10-year-old boards FREE by noon. Two current, custom, gorgeous NEW Gorge boards for $200 -- together -- because the shaper/dealer was moving to Brazil. I bought a wild, hand-painted, slightly used, 2010, high-end custom wave board (I finally found a modern stubby that freaking TURNS and rides smoothly overpowered in chop!) with no bag, and before I carefully walked 20 feet with it saw EXACTLY the right size padded board bag for it in good condition ... free.

Stolen stuff? No, just people switching sports, quitting WSing, wealthy and in a hurry (one doctor damn near gave away his new kit every year), its noon and it's blowing and the gear hasn't sold, a surgeon didn't like his one-year-old $2200 custom board, dealer and distributor overstocks, stuff people bought and simply never used, wife quit sailing, lost his job, permanent injury or illness, approaching snowboard season and gotta buy the latest grunge clothes, gotta eat, lousy wind season, gotta have the latest gear because it's the latest gear never mind that I windsurf 5 days a year ... those and many more reasons.

Ask the question. You never know how anxious a seller is, and I haven't been slapped -- or slapped anyone -- yet.

Of course, there are the folks who actually thought their two gorgeous Roberts wave and slalom boards were worth $1,500 each because they looked unused! They're pre-owned, dude, and it's September even if they are just 6 months old.Together, maybe, they might get $1,500.

A piece of WS gear is worth only what the market will bear. Its intrinsic value or its value to the seller or what he paid for it is moot. I pay full asking price in a retail WS shop, but at a swap meet it's all about supply and demand. At most swaps I've seen, the former far exceeds the latter.
mistral10

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

This helps give me a better picture of the Craigslist scene. I'll try some of the advice given here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: