myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which Sail
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SweetwaterDave

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Which Sail Reply with quote

The forcast for Saturday in Southeast Wisconsin is for 24mph. The combination of high winds, no work, and no ice is rare for me. James's I-phone app calls for a 5.0 sail for my 170 pounds. My sail choices are a 20+ year old 5.0 North Infinity or a 4 year old 6.6 Ezzy Infinity in combination with my only short board--a Starboard Carve 145. I am an old and chubby inland lake sailor, looking forward to having conditions to improve my skills. Should I try to hold on to the more modern 6.6 or is the old 5.0 my better choice?
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like 6.6 with plenty of downhaul Very Happy The new sail should let of gusts fine. I was out in similar wind on a 6.8 last time, overpowered but a good time
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Dave, at least at the beginning. At 170 pounds and a 145 liter board in 20-25 mph winds, it will be a rough ride if there is enough fetch (open water) to kick up some waves/chop. You will be WELL powered.

I am 167 lbs and generally use a 6.0 between 20 and 25 mph, then go to a 5.2 at 25 mph. However, I am also on a 105 liter bump and jump board.

I suspect that your skills aren't yet ready for a smaller board, but you may find the the 5.0 will work better for you if you have enough wind to plane. Start with the 6.6, but don't get hammered because you don't want to rig down to the 5.0. However, before you rig, check and ask what the other guys are using. If everyone else is on small stuff, start with the 5.0.

Good luck
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRESUMING the wind blows as forecast, keep in mind that guys use everything from 3.7s to 7.5s at "24", so much will depend on what the wind is actually blowing on the water, how steady it is, the nature of the water, the price (e.g., long walk, disappearing, etc.) of rigging too small, how you tune the sail, whether you have many hours or just a few to get it right, hows well you can sail over or under powered, etc. More likely the actual wind you see will make the choice for you, but if what actually occurs leaves you scratching your head, I suggest rigging on the smaller side given that you can always slog home and rig up on a board that size. If, OTOH, you're accustomed to sailing overpowered on your bigger (?) sails, go for the 6.6 and tune it for lots of wind (extra downhaul and outhaul.)
SweetwaterDave

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Techno is correct that skill is an issue, but I hope that bigger wind will help me impove. Feedback from others on the water won't be that useful--I will probably be the only one out on the lake. The good news is that my lauch faces directly into the SW wind. Worst case is that I float back home. I think that I will rig the bigger sail and downhaul it tight. If it is uncontrollable I can switch to the smaller sail--at least it's cool--80's neon. If I make a few waterstarts and get in the straps I will be totally stoked. Thanks again.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since i also suffer lack of hi-wind stuff n skills, i am VERY curious as to the outcome of this experiment.

what worked and what did not ??

winds here in Montreal were so crazy that people were out in 4.x

at 220 pounds, my smallest sail is 6-oh and 124 liter board
may give it a go tomorrow, butt in an area where i can get blown in to shore AND do the walk of shame easily !!!

hope everyone was careful today !!! helmets please !!

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
ChopEater

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: hammered Reply with quote

In central NJ, winds were calm gusting to about 35... after 2 hrs I feel like a slow pitched softball used in batting practice.

Used a 126 JP SuperSport and an Ezzy 7.0 Freeride with a couple extra cm of downhaul, with a tight outhaul but couldn't get going, only made 13mph/gps. Loosened the outhaul and at least got planing, hit 17mph/gps but by then my arm and grip strength was spent.

gotta love lake sailing. There was only one more poor windsurfer out there getting pummeled with gusts too. He used a 135 freeride board and a 6.0 freeride sail. Saw him plane for a few seconds and splash down often, he called it a day quickly.

though conditions were impossible, hope the experience benefits in the future. Definitely a good day for helmets.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChopEater wrote:
In central NJ, winds were calm gusting to about 35... after 2 hrs I feel like a slow pitched softball used in batting practice.

gotta love lake sailing. There was only one more poor windsurfer out there getting pummeled with gusts too. He used a 135 freeride board and a 6.0 freeride sail. Saw him plane for a few seconds and splash down often, he called it a day quickly. though conditions were impossible, hope the experience benefits in the future. Definitely a good day for helmets.

Great analogy! I liked "Ripslog", but yours needs less explanation.

That other pumellee could have learned much more if he had hung in there. Some freestylers only WANT to plane now and then, and for just long enough to get planing and bust a move (aka crash and claim ya learned something Wink ). Racerhedz must learn to sail overpowered if they want to beat the guys who can and thus rig to plane in the lulls (Yes, I know there are limits; I sailed for decades in lakes near the continental divide, and the other decades were in the tortuous, winding, gusty canyon lakes collectively called "The Gorge".) Newbies will learn something every time they go out ... even if it's just that helmets make sense. Intermediates trying to figure out jibes need only the gusts to try one; reaching is icing on the cake. And, of course, we must also learn that some days are flat out not worth sailing, but that should come much later in our sport, not early.

Mike \m/
ChopEater

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
... "Ripslog"...That other pumellee could have learned much more if he had hung in there....

Mike \m/
yep... I showed progression according to my forerunner-gps. The 17th was about the same conditions as the 16th....and the chart shows longer, more frequent exceeding of 15mph... so maybe it paid off in learning something... though I still feel the pains of ripslogging two days straight.

disappointed I haven't made 30mph Sad

progression.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.2 KB
 Viewed:  16791 Time(s)

progression.JPG

techno900

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChopEater,

Are you using a harness? If yes, you need to focus more on relaxing your hands and sheeting out or in to control the gusts rather than a "death grip" on the boom.

Breaking 30 mph can be tough for novice windsurfers and even intermediates, but I would expect you to be going faster than your GPS indicates.

As the water gets rougher (more wind), it's more and more difficult to keep speed, this is where experience comes in. If you are lucky to have a place to sail where the water stays pretty flat with strong winds, then going fast becomes much easier, but few of us have this option.

Going fast requires: Strong winds; overpowered, but stable sails; small skinny boards; small fins; smooth water; extra body weight; experience and the willingness to push your limits knowing you may get slammed.

The definition of "fast" depends on your skills, equipment and venue.

One guy may be crapping in his pants while going 25 mph in 30 mph winds in 3' chop.

Another may be bored to death sailing at 30 mph in flat water in 25 mph winds.

A pro slalom racer may also be bored to death sailing at 30 mph in 25 mph winds in 3' chop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: