myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
LA vs. SF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pacspeed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA: Superficial hollywood a-holes with 100k dollar cars, money grubbing bleach blonde biatches with fake tits, and tatted out cholo gangsters and their wannabe white emulators with jacked up trucks.

San Francisco: insufferably dogmatic liberals, pseudo artistic hipsters with poor hygeine, arriviste dot com millionaire nerds, and bums shitting on the street.

Windsurfing better in SF, weather better (if you like the sun) in LA. Traffic and urban sprawl way worse in LA. Skiing closer to SF, Baja closer to LA.

San Francisco has more "culture" but it's mostly the affected, self-conscious type: overpriced bistros and the sort of "sophistication" you find on a starbucks world music CD. LA, while much cheesier and flashy, is the ACTUAL beating heart of American culture: movies, TV, and music.

Before anyone flies off the handle at me, know that I lived in both cities for years. I wouldn't care to move back to either, though the bay area would definitely be higher on the list than LA, just because of the urban sprawl factor, which is at a truly shocking level in LA.

Another place nobody mentioned, which I would definitely have on the list is San Diego. Sure the wind sucks, but the weather is awesome, the surf is awesome, it's 10 minutes to Baja, and it lacks the pretentious hype (and concomitant cost) surrounding both of the other cities.
SWE106

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SF Bay Area rocks! I fully agree with Rich and many others here! I moved >4yrs ago from Sweden and what a blessing. Wind 8 months a year, almost every day. You can have a "normal" 40hr work week with a well paying and satisfying great job, wife, kids, family, house, yard, etc etc and still log a 100+ days, in anything from heavy masthigh to super flat. The other 100 days u can let go, simply because you can. All spots max 1.5hr drive from each other (when living on the peninsula). Know the local wind-signals and climate patterns, check iwindsurf's sensors and you can score many days. Normal winds don't start until mid afternoon, so you can work "normally", take-off by 3-4ish and still score!

It's not cold here, ever, especially considering where I am from.

Even the off season (nov-febr) often gives 1-2 sailable days per week. If not: go surf! I am 200+lbs and my most used sail sizes are 4.7-5.3 with 85-95L board. No need to go bigger than a 5.9.

I don't know anything about LA and/or it's sailing qualities, so I let others be the judge. Just the size of LA's urbanization scares the hell out of me. As for cost of living, quality of live, etc: huge urbanized areas are always expensive... each has it's pro's and con's, nothing is perfect. Traffic can be bad in the SF bay area, but it ain't all that bad as you might think.

The entire peninsula is one large suburb, many single family homes, reasonable spacious and green. Housing way over prized, but the busted bubble is correcting that now!

Come on over!
cbknap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: How big is big? Reply with quote

This whole "big sail" belief about LA is completely overblown. You can easily sail 125 days a year down here with nothing bigger than a 6.0. Look at the wind history for Cabrillo Beach in September--10 days where it averaged 20 or more. On 9/25 it was still averaging 24 at 6 p.m. That enough wind for ya?

On Christmas day people were sailing 4.7 in 4' waves at Seal Beach. That season long enough for ya?

Don't get me wrong--I love sailing in SF. Chrissy is one of the most breathtaking sailing sites in the world. But if I was you I'd shop for a job first, then worry about sailing. Either place will work fine.
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun thread! It's great to see everyone's perspective-even if it is more than the original poster ever wanted. Many of us have lived north and south and see the good of both. Overall I would say LA has consistent major traffic hastles while SFO is more spotty and intermittent etc. I had one time it cost me an hour and a half to get across the bay bridge on my way to sail at COY/3rd. Ocasionally you will run into major parking lot style problems but it is unpredictable and usually the traffic reports the problem after it has resolved in many cases- the bay bridge is nearly always a problem-look out for Giants/Niners games letting out etc. I drive down a lot and around and always get stuck a couple times each 3-5 day trip-but never can be sure where.
D-wo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind is definitely lighter here in SoCal. Let's be honest here Christmas on your 4.7? Sure, but how many local days did you log this year on your 4.7? Bay area sailors use it as their go to sail. The OC/LA is sailing is generally 6.0 or bigger. SoCal is in a different class as far as windsurfing goes. That is why there are 25 times as many sailors in the bay area.
jpbassman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pacspeed wrote:
LA: Superficial hollywood a-holes with 100k dollar cars, money grubbing bleach blonde biatches with fake tits, and tatted out cholo gangsters and their wannabe white emulators with jacked up trucks.

San Francisco: insufferably dogmatic liberals, pseudo artistic hipsters with poor hygeine, arriviste dot com millionaire nerds, and bums shitting on the street.

Laughing Dude, you nailed it Laughing
starik333

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
Fun thread! It's great to see everyone's perspective-even if it is more than the original poster ever wanted.

Thats OK! Keep it coming! Very Happy
human_catapult

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved to SF from the east coast 6 months ago and I'll never look back. It's blowing 5.0 or better nearly every day this summer, while 5.7 used to be my "small" sail on the east coast. (Me, 165 lb and pretty inefficient sailing-wise)

I won't comment on the pluses or minuses from the cultural aspect. It's a huge diverse area so really everything is represented to some extent.

Depending on how much gear you have, storage can be an issue. You'll be limited to specific neighborhoods in the city, or most areas of the panhandle and east bay.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget: If you move to SF from NYC, you will be contractually obligated to complain about the pizza, and remind all and sundry that you don't even go out until midnight in New York.
jse

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: L.A. vs. S.F. Reply with quote

starik333 wrote:
Software engineer (C#, ASP.NET, VB.NET, ORACLE ...)

Depending on how good you are (not at just programming but in managing your employer/clients) S.F. could be the place to be. I have lived in Marin County since 1980. Since 1986 I have run my own software consulting business. My normal commute is from the kitchen to my office. All my clients understand that I'm not to be bothered if it's windy. It's almost a joke with them. I have remained fully employed through every recession and am fighting off clients as we speak. All my "bosses" have full confidence in me and give me all the freedom I want to pursue my habit - as long as I meet my deadlines and know how to make them feel comfortable.

I sail every month of the year and average about 130 days per year. My bread and butter rig is a 5.0 and a 93 liter board. Short of chucking it all and moving to the tropics, I can't imagine a better place to live and work and windsurf. Don't get me wrong, I know many programmers that are struggling, but those that aren't are not well rounded - able to master many different technologies, able to self educate and most important able to fully understand the business of their clients.

So my vote is S.F. Lots of opportunity to find work near windy places.

BTW, I went to the gorge last year and upon returning, I experienced such an urge to turn the truck around and go right back. No other place affected me that way - from a purely windsurfing perspective. I don't know what I'd do with myself tho when the temps drop or the winds die off. And what I'd do for a living beats the hell out of me. The nice thing tho, is that I can get there in a few days drive with my own gear, or I can hop a cheap flight to Maui, or drive down to Baja.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: