myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
LA vs. SF
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
motogon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: LA vs. SF Reply with quote

Tired of East Coast. Want to move on other side. Can anybody give me info on LA vs. SF windsurfing wise? Cost of living probably about same? ... or SF more expensive?

Thanks,

Andrew
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is it one or the other? Actually, there are a lot of interesting places in between that you could think about, and avoid all the congestion and traffic.

However, if windsurfing is paramount, there is little doubt that SF Bay area has far more consistent conditions and a broad range of spots to tap into during the classic late Spring/Summer season. No where else even comes close, and virtually all the sailing spots are within an hour to an hour and a half of each other.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely more wind in SF than in LA. LA's not too bad either, and conditions can be good down there, but you'll get more wind and more days on the water up here in SF. You can live as cheaply or as extravagantly as you want in either place... just depends on what you want, where you work, and how long you want your commute to be.

It's sailable here almost every day from May through September. My most used sail is a 4.7 with an 85l board (I drive for wind).

DO IT!

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree; well worth moving to NorCal. Wind is amazingly consistent as long as willing to drive. LA is a nice place in many ways but a lot of driving and traffic hastles without as much payback. However there are some really good things about LA. I came very close to staying and living in Manhattan beach driving the Porsche etc. L.A. WE LOVE IT-Randy Newman. Housing is quite a shock in both but good paying jobs are available unlike Maui. And it's only 5 hours to Maui 1or 2 times a year. Def recommend it also. Reno, where I live is good also, easy trip to the Bay/Rio.
victor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about LA but it's not hard at all to get 100 sailing days a year in the bay area. With a little effort and a flexible schedule 150 isn't unreasonable.

Cost of living depends on what you call living. You can live in your van down by the river for $100/mo up in the Delta or in a $4000/mo. flat in the Marina near Crissy Field.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA has more open ocean wave sailing sites and warmer weather/water. As everyone else has pointed out, S.F. offers more consistent and stronger wind on average. You could probably get by with a full to ½ meter smaller sail in S.F. and sail far more often. But I think traffic is a wash. It may be better in S.F. but that is like saying “do you want to get run over by a pick up or a motor home? “

Besides, at some point in this thread Iso’s is going to tell you to move to the Gorge. Laughing

Coachg
motogon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not center city man. Too noisy! Most likely I’m going to live somewhere in suburbs. Somewhere in not too fancy but safe place. I’ll need garage (boards, sails, motorcycles…), so regular apartment not going to work for me. I’m software engineer, so I hope I’ll be able to afford apartment with garage in duplex.
What’s recommended windsurfing spots in SF and what’s good places to live without hours of driving. I’m not in formula boards and 10m sails. Wink
motogon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:

Besides, at some point in this thread Iso’s is going to tell you to move to the Gorge. Laughing

Coachg

Ye, I know it's coming. Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaah.

An east coast city boy would be much happier squished among millions of people all in a hurry to be somewhere they're not, paying 500% more for housing, sailing according to his work schedule rather than to his pager/cellphone, and having ready access to surf sailing. He wouldn't know what to do with himself in the gorge, and anybody who snags 150 days a year of WSing in the Gorge has no job, no self-respect, and no respect for family, social obligations, or dead dinosaurs. Wink

But his post does broach one serious question, which may help him satisfy his quest: Why does he want to leave his east coast city?

Mike \m/
motogon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

But his post does broach one serious question, which may help him satisfy his quest: Why does he want to leave his east coast city?

Mike \m/

Mike, read carefully my post, I'm NOT in BIG city living.
When I talk about LA and SF, I talk about LA area and SF area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: