myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Holiday Pictures Anyone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DUDE!
carl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: kinda makes you wonder? Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
Round trip air fare to Maui - $1,200
5 days gear rental - $250
5 nights condo rental - $500
5 days rental car - $175
Food and drinks - $200

Double overhead wave to yourself at Ho'okipa - $2,325

"Double overhead" is "priceless" but:
Work that air fare and condo rent, certainly you can find cheeper than $1200 from LAX. I got a ticket on the holiday week for $780 from SFO. There are condos to be had for $65/night.
Plus,,, you have to eat and drink even at home (maybe more so!!), so you can't count that!
nealpar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food and drinks in Maui...always ends up costing 2-3x more than eating at home, during one's everyday life...

When in Maui, how can you say no to the Sashimi Napoleon at Hali'iMaile, or the Ono with Macadamia nut sauce accompanied with a couple of Mai Tais at Mama's Fish House??? Hmmm? I sure can't say no. Or even the coffee with the fresh baked goodies in the morning down in Paia. And this is just the food. We haven't even gotten started on the clothes and accessories that one can't seem to find on the mainland. (Maui Built still doesn't have a store on the mainland, right?)
dabull1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Winter is for skiing!!! Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
5 days rental car - $175
Food and drinks - $200

That's, of course, figuring that the double overhead wave you spent that $2325.00 for doesn't drop your sorry arse into the Boneyard! In which case, a bankdraft payable to Hawaiian Island S/S, High Tech,etc, your choice, in amount roughly twice the initial investment should cover all that cool, munched, rental gear. Evidently, Steve's getting the Trades which were woefully missing last July when I was there. Enjoy, my friend! Bull
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Winter is for skiing!!! Reply with quote

dabull1 wrote:
jpbassking wrote:
5 days rental car - $175
Food and drinks - $200

That's, of course, figuring that the double overhead wave you spent that $2325.00 for doesn't drop your sorry arse into the Boneyard! In which case, a bankdraft payable to Hawaiian Island S/S, High Tech,etc, your choice, in amount roughly twice the initial investment should cover all that cool, munched, rental gear. Evidently, Steve's getting the Trades which were woefully missing last July when I was there. Enjoy, my friend! Bull

OK lets clear this up:
Last minute RT booking on Delta $449
Gear already here
Rental car $250 (nice ride)
Sandwiches and Mana foods $150
Free rent

BUT......Even on the cheap, it still costs $25 per good wave, or $150 per day. (There were at least 40 guys out at Hookipa today)
There truly is NO PLACE LIKE HOME! Smile
streetsailing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: SUPing the Golden Gate Reply with quote

Thanksgiving weekend

DSC02874.JPG
 Description:
not a good situation
 Filesize:  1.24 MB
 Viewed:  10294 Time(s)

DSC02874.JPG

CRW_5617.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  255.06 KB
 Viewed:  10294 Time(s)

CRW_5617.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being in a tough situation, as depicted in your first photo, is considerable understatement. Looks to me that the shoreline is super close. With such sizable sets with lots of current, the situation is undoubtedly dire in nature. Tied to such a beast of a board, you could be on the rocks in no time. No fun at all.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reviewing the video, I realized that the foreground is not as close as it seems. Foreshorting can be so deceiving. If the same scene was at El Capitan with such sizable surf, the poor dude would be on the rocks, and the result wouldn't be pretty.
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second picture looks like a lot of fun but SUPing at Ft. Point, that dude must be a local or carry a Glock.
streetsailing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who needs a Glock (whatever that is) when you have a 7 foot modern Carbon lightweight hatchet in your hands...lol.
You're right about the Local ism at FP. They don't like us there but in a sense we are locals too. We've been windsurfing that point for a couple of decades but for some reason, the surfers (only a few) still think it's their spot. Why can't we all just get along. I'm sure glad I was a windsurfer first.
There's some great footage on an old Bay Area DVD that came out several years ago. It's called San Francisco Chronicles. Luke gets into it with a local surfer (in his late 40's) after the surfer throws Luke's gear into the rocks. Caught on tape.
By the way SW, that was the second wave of 3 that hit the guy with the red board. He was held under a lot longer that he was comfortable with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: