myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to sail in Los Angeles in SE winds?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a meeting from 1 pm to 2 pm I can't get out of. Crying or Very sad
nealpar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
On days like this, when I had an office job, I packed my gear and took a long lunch/dentist appointment ( Wink )

2 1/2 hours is plenty of time between 12:30 and 3:00 to get in and get back to work.

Must wear sunscreen or you're in deep trouble!

Those days are GONE baby, possibly forever. If one fills an "EMPLOYEE" role, especially nowadays, one has to be READY TO JUMP and BE AVAILABLE at all times when the boss wants you. If not, there are hundreds of people waiting to take your job. You know it, and the boss knows it! Also, depending on the office atmosphere or politics reigning where you are, you might also be WATCHED or SPIED UPON by co-workers, or others envious of your position, or just envious, period. They will take the first chance to "take you down". Once, when I was young and had a summer office job in a lawfirm, I told a co-worker ( I thought I could trust) that I called in sick on Friday so that I can take a 3 day trip somewhere. I got fired that same day. Niiiiiiice.

No wonder that 90% of the regular sailors are self-employed.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
stevenbard wrote:
On days like this, when I had an office job, I packed my gear and took a long lunch/dentist appointment ( Wink )

2 1/2 hours is plenty of time between 12:30 and 3:00 to get in and get back to work.

Must wear sunscreen or you're in deep trouble!

Those days are GONE baby, possibly forever. If one fills an "EMPLOYEE" role, especially nowadays, one has to be READY TO JUMP and BE AVAILABLE at all times when the boss wants you. If not, there are hundreds of people waiting to take your job. You know it, and the boss knows it! Also, depending on the office atmosphere or politics reigning where you are, you might also be WATCHED or SPIED UPON by co-workers, or others envious of your position, or just envious, period. They will take the first chance to "take you down". Once, when I was young and had a summer office job in a lawfirm, I told a co-worker ( I thought I could trust) that I called in sick on Friday so that I can take a 3 day trip somewhere. I got fired that same day. Niiiiiiice.

No wonder that 90% of the regular sailors are self-employed.

While I hate to go on record as agreeing with Nealpar I must admit that what she says is all true. Shocked

Hey now, don't forget the trust fund babies! Mad
gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder that 90% of the regular sailors are self-employed.[/quote]

Self-absorbed is more like it:)
nealpar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self-absorbed? And what's wrong with that? (BTW, I haven't sailed in about 5-6 weeks, so I no longer qualify for the "regular" set.)

However, not to wax philosophical, but to achieve a high level of skill or competence in anything, be it sports, art, academia, business, etc..., one has to dedicate a lot of time and energy to it, which is time taken away from SERVING OTHERS. If that constitutes being self-absorbed, then so be it.

Call me a cynic, but I've seen too many F'd up people pretending to be good people, pretending to be helping and serving others, and meanwhile they are the ones committing the most harmful and abusive acts on their fellow humans.

So how was it today at County? Anybody go?
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
So how was it today at County? Anybody go?

Sunset Beach in OC was fun today! 5.0/85 Liter Board! First session in wayyy over a month.

jibe.JPEG
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.11 KB
 Viewed:  5757 Time(s)

jibe.JPEG

windsurf air3.JPEG
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.6 KB
 Viewed:  5757 Time(s)

windsurf air3.JPEG

capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots coolmtnbiker048. Looks better than County Line. I was planing with a 6.2 most of the time. Nice to get out, first time since 12/25.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: