myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing in montreal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barquentine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: windsurfing in montreal Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

My name is Bart, and I'm 18 and live in Montreal, QC. I really want to start windsurfing because it seems like a ton of fun, and it's a skill a want to learn. I really want to become good in a few years time!

Considering all our lakes are frozen right now, how do you windsurf junkies hold up? I'd also like to know where you guys surf in the spring and summer near Montreal

Thanks

Bart
seb30

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you speak french check this web site: http://www.flipperdesign.com/Sites_planche/
barquentine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't sadly...I'm from Germany, but living in Montreal for some time for school. So probably another 5 years here.

It's bad because I really really want to start windsurfing but I don't know how to start let alone where to go. I would like if someone could guide me!
Surprised

bart

Last edited by barquentine on Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart,
Try contacting the Montreal Windsurfing Association:
http://www.apvm.ca/index.html

then, as you are starting to windsurf, keep an eye on iWindsurf Montreal:
http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=1687&is_beta=true
barquentine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will, thank you

I'm curious, when did you guys start windsurfing?

bart
jeffc4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart, a few suggestions:

Sandbar state park in Vermont is a good place to learn, nice beach and shallow water. Best when wind is from the north.

Try to get a few lessons. This will greatly speed up learning time. Shops in Montreal may be able to help. Rachel at Stormboarding used to give lessons but I'm not sure if she still does.

Get a decent wetsuit. It will extend the season and make your time on the water more enjoyable.

Stick with it and enjoy! Once you get past a certain point windsurfing is an incredibly addictive and satisfying sport.

And answer your question, I have been sailing for about 10 years.
feuser

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barquentine wrote:
i will, thank you

I'm curious, when did you guys start windsurfing?

bart

In 1980.

Shocked

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
rzmiller

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Rachael from Stormboarding here and I do still teach windsurfing in the summer. Generally I teach in Burlington in a bay that is less crowded than Sand Bar but can teach you the skills you need to get into this great sport and rip it up on your own at Sand Bar or closer to home.

I can be reached through www.stormboarding.com

Happy holidays and since the snowkite season is just starting...

Think snow,

rzm
www.stormboarding.com
Sylvie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: windsurfing in montreal Reply with quote

barquentine wrote:
I'm 18 and live in Montreal, QC. I really want to start windsurfing because it seems like a ton of fun

You are right Bart! Windsurfing is a lot of fun Very Happy

The Montreal Windsurfing Association (www.apvm.ca) organises beginners lessons every summer. You should attend the Demo Day, which is held at the begining of June.

There is also AXT, an organism dedicated to promote windsurfing among young people (16 to 25). AXT organises several windsurfing clinics (www.axt.ca) during the summer.

The Adirondack Boardsailing Club (www.abcsail.org) is an American windsurfing association which organises a two days clinics every summer, usually the second week-end of July. This clinic is held at Champlain Lake, Plattsburgh (75 minutes drive from downtown Montreal).

You can visit this forum: www.quebecwind.com. It's mostly a French speaking forum but you can write in English and some will answer you in English. This forum is visited mostly by windsurfers from Montreal area.

A good place for beginner in the spring and early summer is at Oka, Lake of Two Mountains (Lac des Deux-Montagnes). The spot is known as "La Crête du parc d'Oka" (see http://www.flipperdesign.com/Sites_planche/sites_de_planche_frm.htm).

What do I do while the lakes are frozen? I look forward for the spring! Wink

Have fun Bart! Cool
-=koLLac=-

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffc4...the Sandbar is great when it's blowing from the South too...only you need a weed fin! (+parking is free on the south side...while they want like 4 bux on the actual beach)

Sylvie...I think I took the ABCsail lesson in Plattsburgh 2 years ago. It was a blast and taught me all I needed to get going. Some of the best spent 10 dollars in my life Smile I just learned to waterstart this season; can't wait for spring. Or I may just make an icesurfer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: