myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Production versus custom boards - 2009 Prices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loopy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port tack? it really amazes me how easily some guys can
switch right/left brain and be equally as good on both tacks.

what's that thing on the nose of his board though?
gerritt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the port/starboard tack adjustment switch Wink
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a pearling sensor, wirelessly linked to a harness hook release and face guard deployer.

Mike
mikecole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it was starboard tack that day. Standard wind at Jalama out of the north-west. The little camera on the nose of Kevins board was lost in the surf Sad Too bad as the footage would have been fun to see.

Mike
trburl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: OES Australia Reply with quote

The main problem with many of the production boards out there is the lack of quality control at the overseas factory. Its unfortunate that some of the best shapers out there lose quality when they cannot oversee the construction phase of all their boards. Sometimes Cobra gets it, sometimes they don't. With materials costing what they have lately its easy to see why some boards come over here with nothing but 7 ounce glass on the nose occasionally. Or worse.

Pete Ross at OES builds them all by hand. Its a serious pain in the ass as we all know to build multiple boards that way. However, if making sure your boards get people in and out of substantial surf safely is a priority, its the only way to go.

I bought an OES Twin Fin last year. Going up for a back loop at home on the Oregon coast I got stalled out and came down as flat from 15 feet as I ever have. When I landed the pop was that naaasty board snapping pop. Dammit, broke another board.

Actually, the pop, was my mast extension locking pin. I landed so hard and flat I drove the mast down through the pin/collar on the extension and sheared off metal, with carbon. The board was fine.

I must have landed that board flat on back loops 15 more times last summer. Its still bomber. Every time I did that on a production board it was cracked in half across the deck like a cracker.

If durability really is your goal, nothing beats an OES. Plus, the 78 liter twin fin is the most top to bottom surfboard like ride you could imagine, without being a slow pig to punch out.

But thats just my opinion. The bomber part, is fact.
haridass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Custom v Production Reply with quote

With the price of materials and shipping going up, many of the production companies are having to cut back on materials, raise the price and lower the amount of customer service they can provide...bummer. Splitting time between the gorge, the Oregon coast and Maui I have seen plenty of production boards blowing up and I would say if a production board lasts through a tough season of sailing it is the exception not the norm. A custom is not necessarily stronger, some are just lighter and better shaped, although you do have a much better chance of them being constructed correctly (i.e with the resin fully saturating the cloth etc.)

I have been stoked on the OES Australia board that I have been riding full time (100 + days a year) and beating the shit out of on the Oregon coast and here on Maui. I have landed so many loops to flat on that board it is ridiculous. I gone through two carbon booms, but not even a crack on the board. They are the lightest, strongest boards I have ever sailed for sure. Check them out if you ever get the chance. And price wise? With production board prices going as high as they are, I don't know why you would pay the same for a board made cheap overseas that is most likely going to break.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the OES Australia tip.

I called and unfortunately the 2009 boards are $1900.

However ever much I love the sport my days are numbered as I am not prepared to spend $1900. That is more than my whole surf board quiver aside from a stand up.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exocet! Call war dog @ surfingsports. Also Tabou. Call Matt P or Kevin Mcgilvray. Exocet is bullet proof, a little longer traditional shape. Tabou, durable short modern shape. Both fantastic and reasonable. Message me for more info.
streetsailing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Exocets are a good bet. I've owned about 3 dozens Exocets ever since they've been in the US. Although I flip them after a season or so, I've never had a short term problem with any of them. Any damage has been due to hard sailing and good use.
Too bad about the prices going up but we don't have much choice do we. It's not like mikeslab has a shop where you can just buy one of his boards off the shelf. It's not even that easy to demo his boards unless you're a local. Just take eveyones word for it. They are worth every penny.
Let's just hope that the quality control at the Corbra is improved. It's up to the individual brands to make sure of that. When your brand is in production at the factory, it's up to you to look over their shoulder for QC. Board brands, please don't let us down. It's a lot of money we're throwing at you guys.
Sail On everybody.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe exocets 09 boards are $1395+- and Matt Prichard and Kevin Mc are making even better deals on 08 Tabous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: