myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
COMMUNIST NOW????????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
swchandler wrote:
... Use of expletives reflects on your character.

No it doesn't. It reflects nothing, other than that armaswindsurf is passionate. It's a cultural thing. It's only off-putting if you're not used to it, i.e. if you grew up in an environment where one doesn't show emotions because it's equated with weakness, or is otherwise deemed inappropriate. Not that way in Cuba...or Central/Eastern Europe, for that matter.

Thus, a "typical American" will most likely SHUT DOWN upon being bombarded with such passion. I myself prefer "passionate and real" to "vacuously civil and phony"! Any day!

There are other ways than endless obscenities to express passion. While obscenities per se may reflect culture more than character, character should motivate an extra effort towards adaptation. "When in Rome ..."

I met a young "country boy" whose conversation -- anywhere, any time, alla time -- was mostly obscenities. He was shocked and deeply embarrassed when we confronted him about it in a nice restaurant where he was embarrassing us, and stopped swearing virtually on the spot. I once saw a multi-billion-dollar contract hinge on one man's obscene mouth; unless he was banned from the project, the contract went elsewhere ... and the objectors were three-star generals, a group not generally associated with puritanical roots.

OTOH, there are many, usually more telling, ways besides obscenity to display despicable character, as some threads here continually prove. I'd hang with Ray -- just not in a restaurant -- long before and after I'd associate with several of the people we've seen in WSing forums.

Mike
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars, no doubt, you understand, and offer some sound support for my point.

Big differences aside here , my earlier voice in opposition to you and your political positions have always been done in a way that doesn't rely on hardcore expletives. The idea of despicable character is another matter all together, as much is seen in the eyes of the beholder.

In proof to my earlier comments (that doesn't mean that I haven't been critical, as you certainly well know), but simply an example of what's possible.
prevett

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really bothers me when I see Che Guevara pictures on clothing, posters, etc., as if it were some hip insignia of coolness. Most of the people displaying these images have no idea what a brutal, ruthless monster he became. Or maybe their knowledge of Che goes as far as reading/watching "The Motorcycle Diaries." Ignorance of history is unfortunately commonplace in this country, yet it is inexcusable given access to the Internet. (it only takes a few minutes to read the Wikipedia entry on Che Guevara, for example.)

So, to Ray Armas, you are right on the mark, four-letter words and all. I wonder if the people at HotSailsMaui have a clue as to real history of Che Guevara. If they did, I can't imagine why they would feature that Che design on their web ad for the SuperFreak sail. Seems to be about as clueless as the 18 year old kid with Che t-shirt.
windoggie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
to display despicable character

Mike

Say "display despicable character" in a Sylvester the Cat accent.

windoggie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I snapped this shot on an Austrian windsurfing trip this summer...you think they would learn.

facist sailor.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  131.07 KB
 Viewed:  4109 Time(s)

facist sailor.jpg

winterman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to change the title of this thread? I hate to see someone as hard working and brilliant a sailmaker as Barry Spanier of Maui Sails associated with something as terrible as communism or Che when in fact he would never do something like that.
windoggie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winterman wrote:
Is there any way to change the title of this thread?

How about "Bail Out, the Truth"?

*Matt*

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Update your post Reply with quote

You loose credibility when you make posts trashing the wrong company and then fail to correct it in the post title, and initial post. Though we have free speech, there are legal consequences for making false allegations against a company and hurting it's business.
nealpar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Matt* wrote:
You loose credibility when you make posts trashing the wrong company and then fail to correct it in the post title, and initial post. Though we have free speech, there are legal consequences for making false allegations against a company and hurting it's business.

Why are you people pouncing?

First of all, armaswindsurf did correct himself in the body of the post, therefore anyone reading the thread will know what's being talked about.

As for "legal consequences"....Smile))))...please. Our legal system has a few checks and balances in place to prevent meritless lawsuits from being used to intimidate people. First, go ahead and prove DAMAGES, i.e. that armaswindsurf comments actually hurt anybody's business. Second, there is what's called a malicious prosecution action. This is what armaswindsurf could bring after he got sued but prevailed against the plaintiff. Third, there is also what's called an "anti-SLAPP" action which allows individuals to strike back if they are sued for expressing something of public concern. Lawyers love these latter two types of suits because they can get attorney's fees from the party bringing the meritless suit.

As for MAUI SAILS vs. HOT SAILS MAUI.......hmmm.........there seems to be plenty of consumer confusion......hmmmm......I wonder if those two ever fought in court about the similarity of their trademarks.....
armaswindsurf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from Jeffrey Henderson,wish i can see is a wise person,i am glad we reach an understanding point.and i apologize if in any moment i sound rude in the personal level.

Dear Raydel,

You bring up a good point. When does "cool" become bad taste, or even offensive? What are the boundaries? As you mentioned Hitler, I cringe at the idea of this. You have a very good point.

Just last week we had a customer in France ask for a huge FUCK YOU printed almost as big as the sail. I declined to make it. I told him if he wanted that he could put it on himself.
But the Dale Ernhart sail (looks kind of like confederate flag) we made and I never thought anything of it. It mass market image, American as apple pie right? Not for everyone. It seems to dull the senses when "everyone" knows and is comfortable with an image without really considering the effect on some people.

You should not regret your actions by writing me. You have raised awareness on an important issue for you.

Thank you for being part of what makes America GREAT! We are lucky to be able to do this in public, and in freedom.
Aloha, Jeff

AND... for every body else who think i ow something... due to be a "celebrity "????... ..FIRST.. it sounds to (out of place) for me, I AM NOT,A CELEBRITY,AND I NEVER WANT TO BE IT... so how can i loose somthing that i never have or want...

but ok.. i just result not to post any more.. ever,.. so we all could keep the peace

good bye,and good luck to all!!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: