myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
La Ventana or Los Barrilos?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meneely

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to www.vrbo.com. there are plenty of houses in Los Barriles for rent. I highly recommend www.vrbo.com/204057 (i may be biased though since i own it ; ) ).
drblanke

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sailing at both La Ventana and Los Barriles is great--I've been to both.

La Ventana is pristine but remote--you really need a car to cart groceries from La Paz, get there, and once you are there to get around. But, if you're coming with a family, you'd probably want a car anyway.

Los Barriles is a real town. You can even take the bus there from the airport. You can walk to a real grocery store, medical clinic, etc. No need for a car. I also think you'd get more of a Mexico experience here seeing the local townfolk. Better for the backpacker Smile.

FWIW I'm flying into Cabo this winter and sailing with Vela at Los Barriles.
sbeyer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the info Reply with quote

My husband and I are in the S.F. Bay area and both sail, but we only have one week and would like to try Baja for a change, (yes we both love Maui). Ideally we would like to stay someplace like Vela. We don't want to waste money renting a large house for just the two of us. I really appreciate to link to Mike. I didn't know all that information was available and hope he will have some suggestions. We definitely want to rent gear while we are there.

I really envy those of you who can drive around and explore. Maybe someday......
mac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue--I've been to Baja about 6 times, always to Los Barilles. House rentals are relatively cheap, and the local restaurants are pretty good. But if you need to rent equipment, go with Vela. There are small groups of windsurfers all around; be sure to look up Jim Gray (blreef here) and have fun!

Jim (Mac)
ctuna

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: To Mac Reply with quote

To Mac : What was your hit rate for wind in Los Barilles , how long were you there each time ? And what was the best month to go in in your opinion.
Ragtop

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what are the night booty-call-drive conditions now to Cabo?
deanovista

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: La Ventana or Los Barrilos? Reply with quote

sbeyer wrote:
Which is better for a one week trip. We are leaning toward Los Barrilos since it is closer to the airport, but Vela is booked. Any advice on other places to stay would be appreciated. We have wanted to windsurf Baja for years and hope this will be the first of many trips.
NEW for 2008.... the drive to LaVentana is much easier, where you do not need to go through LaPaz anymore.

the shortcut to LaVentana is completed, a paved road from san antonio to los planes. it is currently the nicest stretch of road I have ever driven in baja too... so you still need to rent a car, as the bus it is just to time consuming for a short trip. so rent a car stop in Barilles for grocery shopping right off the main road,. If you forget anything all the local mini-marts are well stocked in LaVentana, and plenty of reasonably priced restaurants around now.

there are several places in LaVentana where you can get windsuring rentals. Captain Kirks for sure http://www.captainkirks.com/, Ventana Wind sports, I think Baja Joes probably still does and they have a well stocked store for misc items you may forget to bring down or breaks, I think ventana bay resorts may also have rental gear.

other nice places that i do not think have windsurfing gear (but you can check) are Casa Verde, http://www.bajmahal.com/, palapas ventanas, mokies, Kurt and Marinas, pelican reef.

for others house rentals at reasonable prices try
http://www.laventanabayproperties.com/

if you have any difficulty in contacting the above or need other options I can have them contact you. just email me at dean@keyboardorganizer.us

dean

Last edited by deanovista on Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
sbeyer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Driving to La Ventana Reply with quote

Do you mean driving from Los Cabos airport (SJD) to La Ventana? If so, that sounds really interesting. Flights from SFO to SJD are much easier to find. Thanks for all the info.
sbeyer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Looks like it will work out with Vela Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Sue--I've been to Baja about 6 times, always to Los Barilles. House rentals are relatively cheap, and the local restaurants are pretty good. But if you need to rent equipment, go with Vela. There are small groups of windsurfers all around; be sure to look up Jim Gray (blreef here) and have fun!

Jim (Mac)

Hey Jim, good to hear from you. Thanks for the advice.
Sue
esteban

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: La ventana VS Los Barriles Reply with quote

Hi there y'all,

been going to Baja since 1986, love it and drive at least 2 times every year. Punta Arena and points north are less consistent and colder water during the winter months of dec-feb, Barriles can get slightly bigger swell on a norte but by far the more consistent wind is La Ventana due to the thermal boost factor-especially this year as it is neither a El nino nor La nina year- plenty of places to stay & play- Ventanawindsports, Baja Joes, Casa Verde, Ventana Bay resort, Capt Kirks, etc...only 2 hours drive from Cabo or 45 minutes from La Paz so check your flights- often it is easier to get there and cheaper from Cabo in spite of the longer drive
Baja is great and very safe , just get away from the border zone as fast as possible if driving
cheers and happy travels south
! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: