myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quatro 81 twin fin
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Quatro 81 twin fin Reply with quote

the board is outrageous I love it, everything they say about it is true....here's the question. Comes with stock 165 MFC fins. Does it matter which one is on the right and which is on the left? they look identical to me. According to the MFC website for the TP Pro fins, it does make a difference there is a designated right and left fin, but these may not be the same as the stock fins supplied with the board.
Thanks in advance

140-4084_IMG_small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.3 KB
 Viewed:  17294 Time(s)

140-4084_IMG_small.jpg

insh8bl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all the MFC twin fins I have seen on Quatro’s and in stores are labeled with a small red R or L. But I can’t remember whose left and right, that is, board right side up/upside down or looking at it from the front or back. My understanding is that if you put them in backwards the board feels unsalable. So, if it feels like it is working right I would say you also put them in right. Hope this helps. Twin fins sure are a hell of allot of fun in waves!
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, the flatter foil side is inside.
Been riding twin fins for surfboards since 1968, and still currently ride them and quads. Nothing accelerates out of turns like them.
If the foil is symetrical, then the difference could be toe in. Boards work better with the fins toe'd inwards.
The other variable is cant. Fins should be canted outwards.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thus the proprietary toe-in, cant, and side-dependent foils -- and outstanding tracking in gnarly terrain -- of the four-finned Bonzer surf and WS boards.

Mike \m/
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, my 4 Bonzers where actually 2 of them 3 fins, and the other two 5 finned, if you wanted to be able to bottom turn on solid waves.
Most Les boards seem to have a center fin box, for whatever reason known to man.
And some needed at least 7.5" center fins too Embarassed
Yes, I've owned at least 20 twin fin surfboards, at least 5 twin fin windsurf boards (Prodanovich, MistralSLE, KineticScottMcKersher), over 6 quad surfboards, but never a quad windsurfing board.
Seems very few windsurfers are actually good enough to appreciate the solid holdingpower, quicksnapaccelerating turning, general looseness, rail to rail ease of banking pressure, and shallow water riding abilities.
At my lighter weights, it was hard to find a 65 liter twin fin wave riding windsurf board till the last 2 seasons.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Most Les boards seem to have a center fin box, for whatever reason known to man. And some needed at least 7.5" center fins too ... At my lighter weights, it was hard to find a 65 liter twin fin wave riding windsurf board till the last 2 seasons.

Every one of Les's WS boards (Gorge Animal) has a center fin; his Bonzer fins are only a couple of inches long, never intended to replace a center fin. I run 8.5" to 9.5" slotted fin on mine. I've sailed 65-liter Bonzers scores of thousands of miles -- probably half of my WSing since they hit the market in the early '90s.

Mike \m/
SWE106

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derek,

stocked to hear you like the 81L quatro twinfin. So do I and ALL other twinfin owners. These boards are SICK, and RIP in any type of conditions!!!

To answer your question: I don't seem to find any difference in foil profile on either side of the L or R fin, they seem identical. However, and just in case, I follow the L and R lettering on the fins accordingly (see attached picture). The R fin is on the right side of the board, seen from the deck, and the L on the left side. I've had them accidentally reversed before, but haven't noticed any difference actually.

Note that as said by "LeeD" here, twinfins should cant/point outwards, which is what they seem to do a little more according to the settings I just described. Keep on ripping dude! I HIGHLY recommend these boards to anybody who sails waves, and considers himself to be a wavesailor; there is NOTHING better, single fins are OUT... The question has always been if twinfins have/had a future in the wavesailing scene. I and many other twinfin owners with me now seriously wonder if single fins have any future left at all.

Quads, trifin etc don't seem to work on a WSboard, because the smaller fins don't and can't support the higher speeds of WSboards compared to Sboards.

DSC02240c.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  672.31 KB
 Viewed:  17109 Time(s)

DSC02240c.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWE106 wrote:
Quads, trifin etc don't seem to work on a WSboard

Yeah, right ... and you've sailed HOW many scores of thousands of miles on them?

Mike \m/
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another very helpful post from isobars, who's karma is so bad that the God's have never seen fit to align a proper breaking wave with wind to allow him the joy of true down the line sailing.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photo. However, what I note is the real forward nature of the fins relative to the rear footstrap. Maybe I'm just too old school with things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: