myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quatro 81 twin fin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
Another very helpful post from isobars, who's karma is so bad that the God's have never seen fit to align a proper breaking wave with wind to allow him the joy of true down the line sailing.

And "Quads, trifin etc don't seem to work on a WSboard, because the smaller fins don't and can't support the higher speeds of WSboards compared to Sboards" has what to do with DTL wave sailing?

Mike
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike...
I've known Dunc and Mal since '71, and rode some of their boards since '73.
I was being ficitious about the center fin, as I know about his side fin evolutions since then and on Les's boards.
Remember, I was a surfer for years before windsurfing, and a shaper in the area.
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And "Quads, trifin etc don't seem to work on a WSboard, because the smaller fins don't and can't support the higher speeds of WSboards compared to Sboards" has what to do with DTL wave sailing?

Attitude of your response to Arnie's attempt to provide helpful relevant information and why you can't seem to find a real wave to ride. If you don't understand, you never will.
windoggi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the old Gorge bumper sticker once said...Attitude is Everything. A bit aged, but still true.
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone besides maybe HIFLY has experimented with similar shaped single vs twin finned, and variable fin sizing of course too....
Seems WS mag suggested some of the twin fin HF's are pretty fast....JOSH, where are you?
As an ex shaper of surfboards, it'd be interesting.
I had twin fin 9' gun surfboards for big OceanBeach and Wiamea/Sunset. They seemed similar in speed to my single fins.
Some of my twin fins designed for +7' waves were plenty fast to make anything out there.
Design difs were straighter set side fins, slightly longer side fins, flatter rail lines at the backfoot, and usually deepV's back foot thru the tail.
The rail fins offset the flatter rockers for turning, and dropping in stall are compensatedf with slightly wider tails, which side fins can support.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
Attitude of your response to Arnie's attempt to provide helpful relevant information... If you don't understand, you never will.

How is telling people that "Quads, trifin etc don't seem to work on a WSboard, because the smaller fins don't and can't support the higher speeds of WSboards compared to Sboards" helpful OR relevant OR information? That's like saying sports cars or Formula boards or cammed sails or carbon booms or BFF or plastic milk cartons "don't work"; it simply isn't true and may mislead gullible buyers.

Anyone who doesn't yet understand that I strongly object -- just as everyone should object -- to the spread of disinformation, never will. No WS board is a panacea, thousands of excellent sailors love their thruster boards, and his comment clearly shows he's never even tried a good thruster WS board. Which is more important: helping buyers sort out gear rumors or worrying about political correctness?

Mike \m/
gerritt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
gerritt wrote:
Attitude of your response to Arnie's attempt to provide helpful relevant information... If you don't understand, you never will.

How is telling people that "Quads, trifin etc don't seem to work on a WSboard, because the smaller fins don't and can't support the higher speeds of WSboards compared to Sboards" helpful OR relevant OR information? That's like saying sports cars or Formula boards or cammed sails or carbon booms or BFF or plastic milk cartons "don't work"; it simply isn't true and may mislead gullible buyers.

Anyone who doesn't yet understand that I strongly object -- just as everyone should object -- to the spread of disinformation, never will. No WS board is a panacea, thousands of excellent sailors love their thruster boards, and his comment clearly shows he's never even tried a good thruster WS board. Which is more important: helping buyers sort out gear rumors or worrying about political correctness?

Mike \m/

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Don't "seem" to work sounds like an opinion rather than a statement of fact. How one expresses that opinion usually determines how others respond to it. My opinion is that you get so much heat on these board not so much because of your opinions, which others are entitled to disagree with, but because of how you "seem" to need to demean anyone who doesn't share your view.

I owned a thruster board in the mid 80's (Maui Sailboards custom). I felt the thrusters didn't contribute a thing and I took them off. The board was faster in the straights and turned just as well. I have ridden thrusters since, but didn't have the oportunity to experiment with fin setups. They work just fine. I'm just not convinced they excell over a single fin set up.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried a twin fin, but I've been using Open Ocean tri-fins with a lot of success since 1996. What's of real value is noting how the total package works in its medium. Really, that's the true bottom line.

No doubt, the twin fin concept is seeing a lot of interest these days, and who knows, it could be key in the upcoming design concepts we'll see in the near future. I'm sure that fin designer/manufacturers are stoked with the trend.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Twin fin wave boards from what I have read and seen in events
work really well in some environments, most PWA sailors still use both, depends on conditions.
So yes, I think the board companies may have a hit here, (from a sales view) cause you would need 2 boards to cover now . The interest is very high.

I haven't seen any real advantage in B & J or high wind for these, just waves.

Plenty of European tests already out would substantiate that.

The Mistral seems to have the upper hand, but have yet to see the Tabou DaCurve Twin tested.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
SWE106

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobar: why don't you answer Derek's question? I did, if you can't then please go to another forum that you can f'up, 'cause that's all you do. Nobody is interested in what you write if it isn't helping to answer the original question posted. I included some opinion about the previously mentioned quads, trifins by another author. That opinion is based on conversations I've had with some VERY influential shapers. You're certainly not one of them.

Gerrit pointed correctly out my wording "don't seem to work", because with the current board and fin shaping knowledge those type of boards are inferior to either single and twin. If they would be superior, every pro would be on them. They are not! As shaping evolves and knowledge increases, quads/trifins etc may become the standard. Nobody knows for now. Certainly you don't.

In general, reflecting on some previous author's:

Twinfins work very well in MANY conditions. From mushy onshore to masthigh sideshore, from underpowered to overpowered; these boards do it all, and better than singlefins. Twinfin boards are WAVE boards, so use 'em for what they are made for.

There is nothing wrong with singlefins all of a sudden. Twinfins allow you to sail the same wave differently: different lines, different style, more surfy, more skaty, easier.

Pro's carry around MANY boards, it's part of their job. You can't compare us more average joe's with them: we need to pick 1 or 2. Based on experience I'd pick a twinfin.

Swchwandler: The "forward nature of my fins" is because I have my rear strap all the way in the back. Being 6'5", I need a wide stance (my front straps are all the way forward). The fins could be moved max 1.5cm more back -which would be all the way in the back (see attached picture)- but that would make the board too directional. The more forward position of the fins on a twinfin is the nature of the board, allowing for insane grip in turns. However, the leading edge of my fins are still positioned under the center of my rear strap, which is where you want your fins, even a singlefin.

DSC02239d.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  296.54 KB
 Viewed:  9688 Time(s)

DSC02239d.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: