myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Florida Wave Challenge contest window begins this weekend
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Florida Wave Challenge contest window begins this weekend Reply with quote

Wave sailors,

The contest window for the 2008 Florida Wave Challenge opens this weekend. Please stay as flexible as possible for the next three weekends. The recent weather in Cocoa Beach has been wonderful and we’ve had periodic wind for weeks. I’m very optimistic that we’ll have a great event this fall so I encourage everyone to join us. You may also benefit materially with prizes and raffle items from RealWind, Sandy Point Progressive Sports, DaKine, Hot Sails Maui and Adventure Sports Miami.

A decision regarding any potential competition day will be announced one day in advance. If we compete this Saturday, for example, an email will be sent by noon this Friday. Please watch for these emails or follow my probability forecasts on the website: www.floridawavechallenge.com. I don’t want anyone to miss this event because they didn’t get the message.

Bruce Thomas
407-810-4811
kajTEK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your url is broken.. I cant go to your site..

I live in tampa and im new to windsurfing but I def want to wave sail one day and id like to see ppl doing it live .. where is this being held?

-Luke
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.floridawavechallenge.com/
kajTEK

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet even could be held @ n beach ft desoto!..
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: No for Saturday good chance for Sunday Reply with quote

I'm skeptical that we will get sailable winds for Saturday and I believe that Sunday will be windier. Therefore, I am announcing no contest for Saturday, but a likely event on Sunday. I will confirm the plan by email tomorrow. Based on the forecast for Sunday, you can assume that Cheri Down Beach Park will be the venue.

http://www.floridawavechallenge.com/

Bruce Thomas

407-810-4811
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cherie is a small park in Cape Canaveral. It fills quickly on weekends. Get there early. I'll have a couple of Kona 11'5 boards for demo, if someone wants to play in the surf to see what this long board wave sailing is all about.
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florida Wave Challenge Update 3

The forecast for Sunday has unfortunately dropped. I don’t think it would be wise to schedule an event based on the 10 to 15 mph prediction. Therefore, we will not be competing on Sunday, November 2nd as previously suggested. I apologize for raising expectations yesterday with my optimistic email.

Thanks for being patient.

Bruce Thomas

407-810-4811
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update 5

We've been unlucky with the wind the last few weeks and that seems to be the case for tomorrow. I'm disappointed to announce that there will be no contest this Sunday (November 9th). I'm discussing our options with the FWC team and will give an update in the next few days. A midweek contest is a possibility, but I'd prefer to postpone the event until next weekend. It will depend on the availability of wind and judges.

Thanks,

Bruce Thomas

407-810-4811

http://www.floridawavechallenge.com
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update 7

As of this afternoon, the marine forecast for Sunday continues to predict 15 to 20 knots from the north. This makes Sunday the preferred day for the Florida Wave Challenge. Therefore, no contest is planned for Saturday, but I am anticipating a contest on Sunday. With northerly winds, "Picnic Tables" near the Patrick Air Force Base is the likely venue. I will confirm the decision to compete by midday on Saturday so please watch your email or check the website.

www.floridawavechallenge.com

Bruce Thomas 407-810-4811
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to the winners of the 2008 Florida Wave Challenge: John Ingebritsen (1st), Darby Marriott (2nd), John Campbell (3rd), Sam Whitmore (4th), Beth Winkler (1st women), Tyler Heston (1st junior)!

They sailed in winds that peaked above fifteen knots, but ebbed to a challenging five for the finals. Fortunately, a ground swell gave competitors a chance to showcase their wave riding skills on small, but clean waves. The best wave rides brought the sailors all the way to the beach with speed and some style. The action was very close to shore giving spectators a great show. Riding the shorebreak, however, did have its consequences and two sails were sacrificed to the FWC. I will share shots from photographers Mike Howard, John Bambace and Jane Bambace over the next few days so please watch the website for their excellent work: www.floridawavechallenge.com.

1st place finishers received gift certificates from Sandy Point Progressive Sports. In a subsequent raffle, the competitors won a variety of donated prizes including a Real Wind surfboard awarded to Eddy Patricelli and a 6.7 Real Wind Hot Power Wave sail given to Ty Heston.

I greatly appreciate the FWC's professional judging team staffed by Boe Marshall, Bruce Racicot, Rick O'Donnell, Heather Mahan, Clyde and Peggy Giesenschlag.

Thanks also to the major sponsors for this year's event: Real Wind Board Sports, Aerotech Sails, Exocet Boards, Hot Sails Maui, and DaKine.

See you on the water.

Bruce Thomas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: