myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Can someone please explain all the different suit there are?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtur13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Can someone please explain all the different suit there are? Reply with quote

Can someone please educate me on all the different types of suits there are for. I know there is the dry suit and the wet suit but I do not no exactly what kind of dry suits and wet suits there are. Also I am looking for a good cheap drysuit I can buy for the Ma winter area. Almost every winter it snows here and the temp can exceed 0 F.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could type 'til the cows come home, or you could use Google and follow your nose to tons of info on suit types, materials, seams, zippers, brands, prices, temperature ranges, designs, and features. I vote Google, 'cause we're talking many pages of info.

Mike
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful now, cheap and good don't often go together. You get what you pay for. For winters in MA, I would highly recommend buying the best.
mwood5

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cowboys are getting their butts kicked, so I'm not watching football. I've got plenty of time.

Here goes.....when it's too cold for board shorts, wear a 2/1 or 3/2 shorty.

Then, when it's too cold for that, you move into a full suit. I go for a 3/2 suit first.

Then, when that get's too cold, you can move to a 4/3 suit. Some might go right for a steamer here. The lines a bit blurry here where the transition is. My 4/3 is an O'neill Psycho II, which is double taped and glued, etc. Not much water comes in, so it's nearly a steamer.

From here, I can go for hood, gloves, boots, etc. That's about as much as I need here in Texas.

If you're in a really cold area, a dry suit is next. There are tyo types. Tight ones that you wear like a wetsuit and the baggy ones that you can wear clothes, or another wetsuit under.

There you go.

m
westender

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A suit for 0 F. There aren't any shops that sell suits in MA. TROLL.
bobaron

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Wet suits Reply with quote

Some more info.
First you can use layering to fortify any wetsuit. You can find polypropolene rash guards and sleeveless 1.5 mil poly pile "sweaters" that amp up a given wetsuit by a full mil or more. Add a hat, booties and pre curved mitts and you amp stuff up even more.
Water temp is as impt as air temp. Once it gets below 42 or 43 degrees in the water you need to think about a dry suit or a 5/6 wetsuit. At these temps it hurts to put your face in the water and hands/feet go numb. Precurved wetsuit mitts are much better than non curved gloves in preventing fore arm cramping. Mitts are warmer too. I take out my dry suit once the air temp is under 45 degrees F. But temps much below this I start to think about going to Mexico or snowboarding. Good luck. You new england guys are animals.
jsw2257347

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would one of those polypropelene shirts work underneath a Farmer John wetsuit, or does it need to be completely covered?
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course poly under a farmer john will help somewhat, but then again, you gotta do a little of your own thinking.....
A farmer john style suit might keep you warm and cozy in 60 degree water and airs, and the poly might give you another 2 degrees.
Neither any worth for winter sailing.
And flushy more cold water thru your torso, with or without the poly, in a farmer john suit, is not conducive to warmth and cozyness.
Some windsurfers around here even wear their poly rashguards OVER a 4/3 wetsuit, and swear it's warmer than without. I won't comment there until I have some more results. Seems that would defeat the purpose of having rubbersmoothside out for wind convection prevention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: