myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
another great forecast
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outcast

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for my part scored some nice thick surf after the wind switched NW...a little scary, but i didn't eat any sand....would always rather sail it though....especially when big....it was hard to paddle fast enough for the waves today

we declared it officially dead for wind at noon....not sure any forecasters could have called it better....it was probably a matter of just 50 miles of veer this am

a mid-day update WOULD have helped.

storms like this always seem to have a very tight window

thank God for the internet and cell phones....sorry for the guys who live far away, and have to commit early with little data

Ron, thanks for the offer....do have an OB sticker, and heard that it was barrelling right in front of the parking lot
Wind.Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% with the update issue, and remeber that a few years ago there was an automatic 11:00 update. What happened to that service?? Raise fees and cut services - nicely done iwindsurf.

They actually did a "special update" yesterday and still were completely wrong! I mean, we all knew after sitting around various beaches that it wasn't going to happen - yet the paid forecast who does the update around 2:00(not sure of exact time) is still calling for high teens/low twenties.

I think there should be a reduced fee option for the wind observation map only. Why are we paying for forecasts when we all use other free sites for more accurate information?
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey outcast- I'm glad you scored some surf. Was it hard getting out thru the whitewater? I'm a pretty low level surfer. I find it exausting getting out with a surfboard in waves that are over head. Either there are a few tricks that I don't know, or I'm just not in good enough shape. It must have been a thrill!
outcast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricks are:
Set timing...it is true that you should watch the water for a while
(truthfully yesterday, with the wind frustration-i just charged it)
Find a channel....the bigger the waves, the better the rip out, and the rip usually isn't closing out....(usually!)
Paddle like hell in between sets.....don't stop, paddle like hell until your arms give out completely....you have to paddle to stay in shape for it....never found a gym exercise that sims it for me
i turtle on a longboard if i'm going to get smashed....mostly so as not to give up foward progress to the whitewater....try to pierce the board thru the wave....never let it get sideways, and never let it go (hurt others)
duck diving is a bit of an art on a shortboard, but again the point is to avoid whitewater....probably the best way to avoid getting pushed back.

yesterday wasn't horrible getting out, but it was funny that when you saw somebody finally make it thru, they would keep paddling way out towards spain...guess the adrenaline/fear thing would kick in
Recognize as always, that She is bigger than you, and that some days
She will just not let you in
ron.c

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outcast, Scooper and the rest of the sailing crowd that wants to surf should get together.

I've got an Orleans Residence OR sticker which gives access to the north side of the parking lot.

The break that I have hung out at since the first of August produces some long rides. I'd guess it's a mile north.

Last week on my own, which I was surprised, the spot had a well defined rip current. You could cleary see foam / sand / crap floating out. Paddling in it, gave me a tow to the outside.

Last year's resolution was to surf more (sail & wave) and swear less - 50% accomplished. This year was to step-up and catch bigger waves - For me, I would say that I fullfilled that goal but chest to chest+ is about the limit for now.

RC
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I guess the one thing I've never seen is a rip or channel to go out on. That sounds really nice. I know that feeling of paddeling like hell, even after I'm out.

Getting together sounds nice, if it ever works out. My 2 hour drive to Chatham limits me somewhat but I try to get down there when I can.

ron.c

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll keep you (all) posted on surf conditions.

I have a whole career worth of sailing on my own. Improving my network is just as important as learning a new technique these days.

RC
outcast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the networking is key.....lots of texting was done sunday....

Scoop: i haven't added you to the list, cause the worst thing to do is to get the "It's Raging!" text, unless you are emotionally prepared for that.
You have paid your dues @ 51, so i figure you are owed
Ps: There is always a rip...just subtle sometimes

Ron, I'll send you a pm
scooper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks outcast, I'd like to be on the list. I'll just have to ignore the weekday sessions and the weekends when I can't go. I've been getting resigned to sailing/ surfing solo but I much prefer to have others around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: