myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Whitey at Stinson again, it's the time of year for the warde
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattwaverat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually if the head is missing it means it was shot by a fisherman not taken by whitey. You'll see lots more seals that way than with bite marks on the beach.
- M

south-west wrote:
Two... count 'em, two dead seals with bites out of them at Waddell yesterday. Both had their lower bodies mauled and one had no head. The one with his head still on, had a bite mark about 16 inches across his side.
We pushed both of them back into the shorebreak so they would drift down to the kiters on the south end of the beach.
pierrews

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Usually if the head is missing it means it was shot by a fisherman not taken by whitey.

The 2 seals i saw on Sunday at WaddellCreek were having the guts out and the tails half cut off, one was headless.
Looks that's it was shark bite to me, but maybe a shotgun can do similar damages.
The sharks need to feed before winter anyway.
h2oshots

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of the landlord...has anyone seen Graymatter around lately?

BIGBITE3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  209.9 KB
 Viewed:  13367 Time(s)

BIGBITE3.jpg

LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Mistral 256 was a good solid wave board.
Superimposed photoshop not so good, as the water would be surging ahead of the nose of the shark, and the fins further below would not show up as well.
And according to most shark experts, the shark doesn't turn upside down until just after it breaches.
The one that bit FatDave's board (about an 11'er), never turned upside down, according to witness'es 6' away.
robertmiller

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattwaverat wrote:
Usually if the head is missing it means it was shot by a fisherman not taken by whitey.

I have read, in a couple places, (most notably in "The Devils Teeth") that whitey generally takes his victims from underneath, and usually goes for the head, so they bleed out nicely and he can feed at his leisure with out chasing down a scared bleeding peniped! Could be wrong, but I doubt it is fishermen, as that would be a federal offence, offing protected marine mammals.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can agree with you that Whitey's head shot is the most economical, you'll find that almost all shark attacks on humans.....torso and legs are the target.
Sure, we're blindingly fast swimmers, unreal reflex's with lightning quick moves, but sharks can't always miss, can they?
And all those vids of a shark (Stumpy, residence Farallons) totally taking out seals and faux surfers, there's no clamping or biting around the head and shoulders.
I think KillerWhales go for the head. Sharks might be too callous to give any thoughts to attack points.
Federal mandates little affect most commercial fisherman, as a seal caught in a net full of fish means easily a $1,000 loss if you try to release the seal without injury.
Shotgun blasts usually affect a nice 1" entry hole, with about a 6-9" exit wound out the other side.....not taking anyone head completely off.
I'd worry about sharks if carcass's were around fresh and smelly.
robertmiller

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:

I'd worry about sharks if carcass's were around fresh and smelly.

Yeah, they probably miss alot and hit the torso, legs, arms and board! Transient Orcas are a whole 'nother ball of wax (talk about scare guys - even whitey is afraid of them!)

I sure wouldn't want to be in the water near a bleeding carcass, headless or otherwise.
ikrtolica

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: re: Headless Seals on Beach... Reply with quote

There used to be a guy that worked for the marine mammal center collecting heads from seals that had died and washed up on the beaches. I'm not sure if they still do that, but I do occasionally see headless seals on the beach.

As far as the head shot from sharks - I was standing a few feet from epenrose when we saw the shark attack the seal at Bolinas, and I can say that there was not a lot of that seal left after the attack. The whole thing lasted a few minutes, and the seal was definitely putting up a fight.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steinhart Aquarium's own BobMcCosker or sumpdin like dat....
I guess seals aren't equipped to poke at the sharkeyes, peel at the gills, poke it's nose, or stick an arm down it's throat, like humans.
Yeah, I was surfing Cronks mid beach left peak on a South when a shark attacked a seal on the NorthCorner. All the surfer's there immediately got out of the water, yelling and all, so I had the waves all to myself. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
south-west

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really doubt that the sharks at Waddell are packing shotguns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: