myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Big thank you to Mitch, Fred and Ronnie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Big thank you to Mitch, Fred and Ronnie Reply with quote

Saturday I lost the cap at the top of my mast during an outside jibe at Leo. The sail slid down the mast and I had no good way to pull it back up so I finished up making the long, partially wind-assisted swim down to Nicholas Canyon. I would like to thank Mitch for coming to check up on me and alerting the lifeguards in case I needed their help, to Fred for towing me in to the beach and to Ronnie and Mitch for helping me carry my gear back up the beach.
sharkasm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
tony

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to tie a loop of fishing line or something else strong but light between the cap and the side of the metal friction device. It will not prevent the cap from coming off but ought to keep it attached to the sail. That would make it possible to re-rig well enough to sail in and tighten everything on the beach.

And, yes, I deliberately glossed over the fact that two of the people who helped me are kiters. Didn't want to spoil the "we all hate each other at Leo" vibe that seems to entertain the forum readers. We do, of course, sometimes have instances of individuals (both kiters and windsurfers) behaving badly.
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the cap or plug come out outside uppers-Kanaha. Cost me an hour swim; grabbed the upper half of mast before Davy Jones got it and put it in the footstrap. This year just finished sailing at coyote, was changing, heard a fairly loud pop and looked to find strap holding plug had just broke; saved one swim-lucky that time.
jwajack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to a friend under conditions where I had decided to wear a helmet. Simple solution was to make a new headcap by running the webbing through the helmet's ear holes, making a new "head cap." With all the kiters around who generally wear helmets, try to borrow one from them, or from any windsurfer who is wearing one.
jwajack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to a friend under conditions where I had decided to wear a helmet. Simple solution was to make a new headcap by running the webbing through the helmet's ear holes, making a new "head cap." With all the kiters around who generally wear helmets, try to borrow one from them, or from any windsurfer who is wearing one.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an incredibly awesome idea! Earlier, hearing about tony's dilemma, I was at a loss with a practical solution while out on the water. Although I once improperly seated the mast and inadvertently missed the cup at the top of the sail (it shot through the top on the outside jibe), I only had to virtually re-rig the sail in the water to be able to make it in.

Since I always wear a helmet, I'm quite prepared for this type of travesty in the future. Great solution to the problem (assuming that the webbing is still there and connected).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: