myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Let's Talk Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dabull1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Hey Bull,

Pray tell. How did a sea-turtle steal your favorite fin in Maui?
Well Windward, it kinda happened like this... I was sailing way out in the channel trying to beat upwind to Upper Kanaha. All of a sudden a seaturtle surfacing at twelve 'oclock!!! Battle stations , prepare to ram! Little bastard dove hard just prior to impact...whew, missed him! Just then his cousin surfaced, blocking my evasive action. A slight shudder astern and suddenly I'm sailing sideways at warp speed! As I'm assessing the damage, IE no fin a good mile+ outside, both turtles surfaced again, none the worse for wear may I add, and I swear to this day, both were smirking at me!!! Over the next 45 minutes, my arms stretched at least three inches as I bodydragged in. Just another perfect day in Maui! Bull

Last edited by dabull1 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:19 am; edited 2 times in total
89Spring

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never went sailing in Key West and did not see something. Dolphins, turtles, rays, sharks you name it. Sailling in the backcountry for miles and miles through mangrove islands in four feet of crystal clear warm water just bombing with no one in sight. Just awesome then when the northly gale shows up head out to the flats for some perfect speed sailing in about two feet of water. On the easterly head out to the reef, souhterly nice wind swell on some close coral heads that have great spear fishing when the wind/water is calm
cbknap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: good post, bull Reply with quote

There have been dozens of dolphins at Cabrillo in recent weeks. They dive up and down at right angles to my reach, diving under my board. I used to worry about hitting one but they are very savvy swimmers.

As for the turtles at Uppers at Kanaha, it's only a matter of time before I clean a fin off just as Bull did. I try to sail in the Kanaha race series once a year and it requires you to sail way outside to get upwind for the start. So you are blasting along on race gear outside the reef and almost every time I see a turtle stick his head up and both the turtle and I go "Eeek!"
muldoon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blew a jibe at Point Isabel, big splash, came up to find a 2-inch fish flopping on my board. I cupped it with my hands for a minute, and then let it go.

I call this move a 'Free Willy'.
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: da bull's turtle encounter Reply with quote

Hi Bull,

Now if you had been a little more like Cap'n Jack in "The Pirates of the Caribbean" you would have made a rope out of the hair on your back, lassooed those two turtles and made them chariot you to shore. Saves the arms, ya know.

Windward1 Very Happy
gdewitt1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailing within a couple hundred feet of a small california gray whale, San Carlos.
tsokat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed within 100 feet of a wet t-shirt contest at Louies Backyard on South Padre Island once. Talk about wildlife!
theq

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
A couple of quick nature encounter stories from Maui; Never will forget a flying fish jumping exactly along side of me, about 5 feet away at exactly the same speed I was going so he just hung there for awhile next to me. Second is at the impact zone Uppers seeing a monk seal-took a break and told everyone on the beach I was so excited then went back out, it then popped up right directly ahead of me going on a full plane so I had no chance to do anything and Nailed it hard. No blood in the water but I felt terrible. Later I READ UP ON MONKS AND ONE OF THEIR DEFINING CHARACTERISTICS IS BEING COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS TO DANGER. Do you also find the caps lock gets in the way?

That's funny. Billy W. and I were just discussing the fact that the flying fish ride the same gusts as we do and may be why they seem to fly alongside for so long. Both of us saw a couple of flying fish while sailing out at County Line yesterday. I hadn't seen one of those dudes in a few years. It was pretty cool. The sailing was pretty fun too.
theq

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: da bull's turtle encounter Reply with quote

windward1 wrote:
Hi Bull,

Now if you had been a little more like Cap'n Jack in "The Pirates of the Caribbean" you would have made a rope out of the hair on your back, lassooed those two turtles and made them chariot you to shore. Saves the arms, ya know.

Windward1 Very Happy

Urban Legend: dabull loves to swim. We'd never want to deprive him of one of life's simple pleasures. Cool
The only problem is that he usually does this around "feeding time". Razz
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot's of dolphins, a whale or two, and a topless honey near the bottom of the stairs. Cool Just another day at Leo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: