myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Remember the good old days?/ Do you give a damn?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScuzzyBreeze wrote:
Any advice would be welcomed and I'd be interested in picking your mind a little if your open to it.

If you click on the "email me" button on my blog (peconicpuffin.com) I'll send you the contact info for the principal organizer of our event (or send me a message through iWIndsurf). We made the blog the official website. If you want to read how we hyped the thing for three months here is the collected material:

http://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/east-coast-windsurfing-festival/

The key things we had on Long Island are:

A Yahoo bulletin board group (Long Island Windsurfers). This can be set up for free, and will be as vibrant as the locals make it.

Local windsurfing blogs. We have three, though there's one good one (Scooper's Waterlogged) already operational on the Cape. One is all you need to get going.

Many of our best local sailors are all about sharing and spreading the sport, and either were organizers of our event or happy to get involved.

Several other windsurfers who were willing to lend a hand.

One thing that was key around our event...while we wanted to have something for the more hardcore set, the big win came from making something that was fun for everyone. For example, our races were exercises in comedy, and they were very popular. That some people needed four minutes to complete the course while others needed twenty did not dampen the enthusiasm of those in the back of the pack.

In any event, do fire it up on the Cape! I used to drive up for the King of the Cape freestyle events (the organizers moved to Hawaii and Bonaire, unfortunately) but they were great while they lasted.

bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I has been my experience that you tend to do a lot less windsurfing when you go to a race. I got fairly into the formula racing scene for about four years, and the thing that always irked me would be when we're standing on the beach when it's blowing because of something in the schedule. It would be blowing at 9:00 in the morning, but we've gotta wait until 10:00 for the skippers meeting and the first race isn't scheduled to start until 11:00 and then the wind dies. Or the wind would start to come up in the afternoon, but we've got to take a break for lunch and blow an hour and a half sitting on the beach - stick a power bar in your harness and suck it up. It seemed like half the people there were more interested in getting their hoagie then they were about getting in good racing.

I was somewhat amazed at the calema midwinters maybe five years ago. The racing on one of the days got blown out and there were like 100 windsurfers on the beach watching a couple guys doing freestyle. Here it was great conditions in the middle of winter and there were like 10 people on the water - I rigged up my 4.4 and went sailing.

sm
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're doing "serious" racing, then yes. For the Long Island festival we had great success with a less serious format, with no wind minimums.

The first thing that has to go if you're trying to build community at an event is wind minumums.

bred2shred wrote:
I has been my experience that you tend to do a lot less windsurfing when you go to a race. I got fairly into the formula racing scene for about four years, and the thing that always irked me would be when we're standing on the beach when it's blowing because of something in the schedule. It would be blowing at 9:00 in the morning, but we've gotta wait until 10:00 for the skippers meeting and the first race isn't scheduled to start until 11:00 and then the wind dies. Or the wind would start to come up in the afternoon, but we've got to take a break for lunch and blow an hour and a half sitting on the beach - stick a power bar in your harness and suck it up. It seemed like half the people there were more interested in getting their hoagie then they were about getting in good racing.

I was somewhat amazed at the calema midwinters maybe five years ago. The racing on one of the days got blown out and there were like 100 windsurfers on the beach watching a couple guys doing freestyle. Here it was great conditions in the middle of winter and there were like 10 people on the water - I rigged up my 4.4 and went sailing.

sm

phazer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Where are the young bloods? Reply with quote

I've been windsurfing for over 25 yrs and the sport has not been growing for the past 15 yrs or so in the east due to no young people getting into it. Today's youth are to hung up on computer games and ipods. This sport is being supported by old farts like me now 50 and that is the problem. Kite sailing reminds me of the old windsurfing days. That new exciting sport you have to try but will it become like windsurfing? Only time will tell. Cool
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Events are great and a lot of fun but what about bringing a friend in on the sport?

It's tough as you have to sacrifice some occasional windy (and rare this summer) days to go out on flat water and teach uphauling, but in all reality, you can teach on the not so nukin days, dust off the big boards and get a friend hooked.

It's pretty rewarding to watch a budy get on a plane for the first time and realize you had something to do with it.

Yes, you will miss the occasional good day but it will pay off dividends.

DC
blogo1@msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfin was popular 18 years ago because it was new. I skied and got into it from skiers. But over the years, running down to the water with a supposed forecast and sitting around, especially living over an hour from any water. The equipment is damn expensive too. You need a van to haul it all around, etc, etc. I would never talk a friend into it unless he/she was real real interested. And I would still tell them the negatives. And anything less than 18 knots with a 5.5 is all I care about anyways. East Coast is just not the Gorge.
I had a share in a beach house, LBI four times this Summer. Guess what, one day of sailing.
I still like it. When its over 20, its like a powder day..
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The first thing that has to go if you're trying to build community at an event is wind minumums.

I suppose, but it is called WINDsurfing. You need a certain amount of wind to do it. If you're going to hold a freestyle contest, then yes, I could see doing that in 5mph. But for any type of racing, you need a wind minimum. And if it's formula racing you definitely need a wind minimum. I can't tell you how many "formula" races I participated in that were schlog fests - not fun. On the flip side, I think there needs to be an equal openness to ditching the schedule and working around the wind. I.e., if it's blowin', we're sailing. I don't care if you have to wait an extra hour for dinner, if the wind doesn't come up till 4:00pm, T.S.

Quote:
East Coast is just not the Gorge. I had a share in a beach house, LBI four times this Summer. Guess what, one day of sailing.

Boo whoo...don't diss the Jersey Shore because you got skunked on your vacation (let me guess...end of July). Would you diss Maui if you got skunked there too? Jersey gets plenty of high quality summer thermal days that blow at least 20kts, and well above that if you're willing to put on a wetsuit spring and fall, but you have to watch the weather and make educated choices. Plus it's got bay and ocean sailing to choose from, sometimes at the same spot. Certainly nothing against the gorge, but they get skunked there too. I could come up with plenty of things that Jersey has better than the gorge.

sm
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called windsurfing, not windwhining. If the goal is to increase enthusiasm for windsurfing and building a windsurfing community, then having the race be open class (any board will do, though you can split the results into formula and everything else) and the willingness to have shlog racing is important.

People had lots of fun racing at our festival...one guy planed. I challenge anyone who has not participated in such a race to do so and have a bad time.

bred2shred wrote:
Quote:

I suppose, but it is called WINDsurfing. You need a certain amount of wind to do it. If you're going to hold a freestyle contest, then yes, I could see doing that in 5mph. But for any type of racing, you need a wind minimum. And if it's formula racing you definitely need a wind minimum. I can't tell you how many "formula" races I participated in that were schlog fests - not fun. On the flip side, I think there needs to be an equal openness to ditching the schedule and working around the wind. I.e., if it's blowin', we're sailing. I don't care if you have to wait an extra hour for dinner, if the wind doesn't come up till 4:00pm, T.S.

sm

andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred
Quote:
I could come up with plenty of things that Jersey has better than the gorge.

do tell.....
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I've done everything from High wind slalom racing to light wind vintage races. Personally, I have way more fun in the lightwind "Shlogfests"
You just laugh the entire way around the course while egging on your friends. It sure beats having 300 people show up and sit around waiting for wind. Yeah, I've been to those events to, and they just suck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: