myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Skiffs at Crissy your old carbon sticks needed...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h2oshots

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Skiffs at Crissy your old carbon sticks needed... Reply with quote

Day 3 of competition today. Races start at 1:00 PM and 4:00 Friday before the B2B...

If you have some old carbon mast parts, they could probably use them!

08ASday2_208CRweb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  177.59 KB
 Viewed:  10406 Time(s)

08ASday2_208CRweb.jpg

LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm just SURE the poor ($$$$) Aussie 18 fleet would just love to have my broken, worn out CK55, Accel80, and FibWC crap junk 15 year old masts.
Then they can use it to repair their older (yeah, sure), aluminum masts and booms (right).
And RichardPetty's NASCAR team would just love to recycle my HondaCivic (1985) motor, tires, and brakes.
h2oshots

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Yeah, I'm just SURE the poor ($$$$) Aussie 18 fleet would just love to have my broken, worn out CK55, Accel80, and FibWC crap junk 15 year old masts.
Then they can use it to repair their older (yeah, sure), aluminum masts and booms (right).
And RichardPetty's NASCAR team would just love to recycle my HondaCivic (1985) motor, tires, and brakes.

I'm dead serious. They use them for inner sleeves to repair their broken spars. If you have 1/2 a CF mast laying around and want it to go to a good home...slide on down to Crissy and man up...or sit at your computer and spew hate...whatever...

08ASday2_059CRweb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  222.27 KB
 Viewed:  10302 Time(s)

08ASday2_059CRweb.jpg

higgybaby

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were joking also.

At any rate, I have enough carbon scrap for the whole fleet but can't make it to Crissy 'til Saturday morning. Wasn't planning on throwing it away but don't mind helping "the cause"... priority to any Sailing Anarchists. ha, ha.

Let me know if the timing works.
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 4 years ago, walking by Crissy during prep time for 18 Nats and commented on how the various boats look basically like a fully sponsored NASCAR team, complete with stickers and all the waxed new paint.
Was talking to some guys (crew) and mentioned carbon fiber to them. They basically sorta bragged that only the newest and best composite manufacturers were good enough for them, that the taper was a secret formula, and their masts were much higher quality than windsurfing masts.
Well, I certainly didn't doubt them, and to me, offering them even my GOOD spars is like loaning DTrump 50 bucks for a cup of coffee.
They're great improvisors, and seem to have plenty of spare spars around the trailers.
89Spring

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all those teams are fully funded. Teams score used boats from OZ cheap which still have logos so it appears to be fully funded but not always the case. Some are and some arent. As far as crossovers from windsurfing to sailling PowerEx makes some of the best battens for very large big roach mains ie IACC boats Volvo Open 70 and so on. They just seem to hold up the best. basically a scaled down version of RDM masts. I would think a windsurfing rig would work as a spare sprit for an 18 maybe too soft but with the stays? If any one gets the chance to sail one of these things go and do it because it is alot of fun, you get around the bay in a hurry.
dabull1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a silly question, but how do they get those 18's here to compete... mega-bucks??? I'd love to take a crew on one of those babies! Bull
89Spring

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look into the "Skiff Sailing Foundation" local bay area guys you coucld get some info from them. Also I think it is "American Skiff Sailing League"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: