myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What is up with this wind B.S?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mewindsurf wrote:
Get yourself a nice drysuit too rusky. There's a ton of sailing to be had in the winter. I probably sail twice as many days from october to march than I do from april to september here on Long Island. And in the winter, I don't go out unless it's 5.3 or better.

No doubt! Winter windsurfing (really late fall through mid Spring) is outstanding on Long Island. And real men eschew Hecksher for a dozen other great locations offering wave, bump, and whathaveyou sailing. A drysuit (and a small board) are musts for great NE windsurfing.

(Do real men say "eschew"?)

speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: What is up with this wind B.S? Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:

I've been keeping track of windsurfing conditions on eastern Long Island (maybe two hundred miles from the Cape)
Actually if you fly the Cape is much closer than that. Boston is 200 miles from N.Y.C. The Cape is 70+ miles from Boston and Providence.
PeconicPuffin wrote:
this has been the worst June, July, and August during those 15 years.
It certainly has been the worse since '04 when I retired to the Cape. However, I bought a 9.6 at the end of last season, and it was a godsend. So far I've put in 41 days of sailing since March which is about par with last year.
scooper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually have my best days in the colder half of the year. Last April, when some local sailors, (Boston area), were excited to be starting their season , I was feeling a little dissapointed because I knew that the high wind season was winding down. Little did I know how bad it was going to get!

I'm heading north on a road trip soon, PEI, Canada. I"m hoping to get a kick start on the Fall season up there. End of August in Canada is kinda like the end of September in Boston.

speedysailor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was a good day here on Cape Cod due to the sea breezes that kicked in early in the afternoon. I did some blasting in the straps with an 8.4 which hasn't seen a lot of use this season. Once the sun started to sink around 6, the winds backed off. A couple of kiters stayed out, though.
LoveSplittingLanes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: That does it! it just plain sucks windsurfing here... Reply with quote

OK... I have been extremely tolerant and patient since moving to Boston from SF in May 07. I came here with my gear tuned to SF and well used from over 100+ days/ year on the water blasting in ~18-30 mph winds from from April - October...

Now a "Bostonian"... Puzzled about the lack of wind since this past summer 07, I heard the same explainations and type of complaints.... From this frustrating experience last year (while admit that I also discovered beautiful spots on the Cape), I then shelled tons of $$$ this Spring into "light(er) wind" stuff + weed fins, etc............ and still can't get planing in ~15 knots....!!!

Sooooo.... My conclusion after this year here trying to maintain the addiction:
1) While praised by few, NE is just not on my list of places I would put on the map for "great" windsurfing in the US... I think not news for most of you while still hear some justifying that NE is a great WS spot??? not in my book...
2) "Season" is really Spring and Fall = Dry suit, brave the cold... "good" for the arthrisis in these joints!!!! still need to learn how to protect my hands...
3) in 10-15 knots... I am thinking that kiters make the most of these conditions... so : stick with windsurfing in high wind and migrate towards ktiting in light winds? I am thinking about that...

Now back at looking at the local forecast and shutting my eyes on current forecast for SF.... Signs of hope for this coming Sunday?! I hope we all get some!!!
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: That does it! it just plain sucks windsurfing here... Reply with quote

ocorvez wrote:
Now back at looking at the local forecast and shutting my eyes on current forecast for SF....

Hey Oli,

At least your old NP seat harness is still getting a workout in the Bay Area. Of course it's Andre who's wearing it now. Wink

Will be thinking of you later today...probably just another 4.9/77 afternoon.

Cheers from the left coast!
Very Happy

speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocorvez, Did someone on this board lead you to believe you were going to sail often if you moved to Boston? If so, you should take it up with them. You also aren't a Bostonian unless you were born there. We have so many >>Cambridge People<< who move here from out of state and bring there screwed up values with them that it is important to determine who is a real Bostonian and who isn't. Whatever, Boston is a windy city, windier than Chicago, but the wind blows downtown on the streets and between the skyscrapers, not out on the water. I'm also rather amused at the way Isobars used this thread topic to go on about his personal method of taking Uncle Sam for a ride.
LoveSplittingLanes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Sorry BUT... Reply with quote

Surprised to see such a visceral reaction about my "attack" towards Boston's wind... My apologies for having hurt your emotions but I think my post fits well with our collective begging for wind... and title for this blog... I thought it was about complaining? I am right on then Smile

As far as Boston being a "windy city" for WINDSURFING, please educate me since have not heard of Boston being on any radar for windsurfing destinations... I may be missing something in my equation and should refrain from benchmarking Boston to other places in the world... So, yes, you're right : Boston is really windy & a hidden gem for windsurfers! I lived on 3 continents and sorry to say that Boston is not on my top windurfing list of best places to work & windsurf on the week ends...

And no, no one promised coconut trees, warm winds when moved here last year... I had just hoped it was not THAT BAD during our short Summer! Keep sailing! O.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
I'm also rather amused at the way Isobars used this thread topic to go on about his personal method of taking Uncle Sam for a ride.

You're welcome to join the same ride. The price of admission is defending the free world for 20 years.

Mike
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
The price of admission is defending the free world for 20 years.

You did a heckofa job Brownie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: