myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Defecting Kiters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpsounis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting thread indeed, as traig said. I am still windsurfing and kitesurfing on the waves, and my take is that it is a matter of having the right tool each time. after being a davenport local for five years, and then a malibu local for another five, and always travelling to find good waves, here is my take:

down in south cal, waves are smaller than in north cal, and winds are lighter. hence, it makes little sense (sorry pals from sc) to insist on wavesailing, unless you drive to jalama in a regular basis. kitesurfing not only gives me more days in the water, but also is more fun to ride a head high (or less, this is sc we are talking about) wave with a small surfboard than a windsurf board. (by the way, a small kiteboard is 6 foot or more, don't do the mistake of using such a small board that you end up "riding" with the wind instead of truly surfing the wave).

in places like san carlos or up north (e.g. davenport-scotts creek zone), things are less clear because these places tend to be a lot windier than south cal. nobody likes slogging. if you can't plane on a windsurf board, just get over it and kite. but, on a 4.5 or 5.0 (sail) day, windsurfing is a lot of fun. in such windy days, the question is how large is the wave. up north waves can be mast high easily. anything more than logo high is a lot of fun on a windsurf board with a typical length of 250cm. san carlos on good souths can get logo high easily. so, with big waves and wind, windsurfing makes a lot of sense to me. this also explains why a lot of guys stick to windsurfing in maui. windy, big waves, it's just so much fun to ride hookipa (minus the crowds). but, once waves get smaller than head high, one just needs a smaller board to match the smaller wave size, and kitesurfing is the winner.

last, kitesurfing has its problems too: try kitesurfing in very gusty conditions and it is really no fun, e.g. at jalama once the wind turns N-NW. or, try kitesurfing with large waves and zero wind on the inside (zero = not enough to even keep the kite on the sky). at least on a windsurf, in such very light days, you can slowly get out, get on a large set, ignore the sail and ride. (assuming you are into slogging, I am not. I prefer to paddle if it is that light.)

so, use the right tool for the right conditions to have max fun.
tetiaroaxx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget all the things that made windsurfing so un-cool in the first place............................

End_Of_Windsurfing.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  305.63 KB
 Viewed:  11551 Time(s)

End_Of_Windsurfing.jpg

seyfo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that isobars on the first one?
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the things that made kiting so cool.
Rolling Eyes
http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=15784

Coachg
nealpar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kpsounis wrote:

...down in south cal, waves are smaller than in north cal, and winds are lighter. hence, it makes little sense (sorry pals from sc) to insist on wavesailing...

I thought size didn't matter. Wink Something about the "MOTION OF THE OCEAN"....?

Speaking of kiting vs. windsurfing, isn't that you, kpsounis, wedged nicely between them "uncool" windsurfers?

LA June 003.JPG
 Description:
Leo kiting
 Filesize:  514.95 KB
 Viewed:  11364 Time(s)

LA June 003.JPG

beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at that; windsurfers, kiter, surfers all living blissfully together. Maybe SOCAL really is paradise.
dinoman8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: defecting kiters.... Reply with quote

I have to say as a windsurfer for the last 15 years, yesterday I took a kite lesson. The love of windsurfing is not gone. But the time and travel to get the kind of wind I like, now with a wife and family.... is LIMITED.
So a 12-16 wind spread for a stoke in the waves, or just across the bay is a much more appealing use of time. I also liked the size of the gear, a bag and a board? Fits in most any car, not the van I drive to hold 3 boards and 6 sails... You get the picture.. I found in a 2 hour lesson, I was just about ready for a run with the board, but thge wind had dropped to 10, but I did get up a couple of times. Next week I will do it again!
Dino
boggsman1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon bro , you never have three boards and six sails in your van!
One board and two sails is your standard travel kit. I wish I could go back three years and get the quote about wife and family when you were single and i was swinging by Crissy on the way to Costco to get diapers and wipes.

Boggsman
jpf18

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetiaroaxx wrote:
Don't forget all the things that made windsurfing so un-cool in the first place............................

Well nice to see kids take things at face value and not worry much about perceptions of not cool. Speaking about not cool. It's not like that wasn't running big over at the other side of the fence. Yesterday at Crissy we witnessed a kiter who felt inconvenienced by a 150 yard swim after downing the kite on the inside. He had the CG shuttle his sorry ass shuttle into the beach like right now. Lamest thing seen... ever. Revocation of beach privileges, please.
theq

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: defecting kiters.... Reply with quote

dinoman8 wrote:
I have to say as a windsurfer for the last 15 years, yesterday I took a kite lesson. The love of windsurfing is not gone. But the time and travel to get the kind of wind I like, now with a wife and family.... is LIMITED.
So a 12-16 wind spread for a stoke in the waves, or just across the bay is a much more appealing use of time. I also liked the size of the gear, a bag and a board? Fits in most any car, not the van I drive to hold 3 boards and 6 sails... You get the picture.. I found in a 2 hour lesson, I was just about ready for a run with the board, but thge wind had dropped to 10, but I did get up a couple of times. Next week I will do it again!
Dino

What's also really cool is your very recent discovery of, at least posting on, iwindsurf. Life IS good, isn't it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: