myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bic Astro Rock's Legendary Status
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistral10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info. The mast track position sounds like it could be an issue. I'm sailing with newer sails now on my longboard. I'm starting with an 8.5 Ezzy Freeride. I plan to use new sails on my next board.

I'll continue my research and keep returning to this post, if anyone has more info on the Astro Rock.
mistral10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info. The mast track position sounds like it could be an issue. I'm sailing with newer sails now on my longboard. I'm starting with an 8.5 Ezzy Freeride. I plan to use new sails on my next board.

I'll continue my research and keep returning to this post, if anyone has more info on the Astro Rock.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem with new sails, you have to adjust the rig triangle, that's all.
I know it's really hard for most of you to figure out, so simply...raise the boom somewhere up around your mouth height.
Do you always have to max downhaul your sails EVERY sesh no matter what the winds? If you do, it might not be perfect.
Sail I rode last year was a 5.3 Vertigo, downhauled so wrinkle was at point between second and third battens. Booms set at nose height (I usually like higher booms than most for back and forth), track back, straps all back. Balanced fine, nose low in hightide chop and 16-23mph winds.
Bigger guys would like it, smaller can ride sub40 liters easily.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we all know, some like antiques better than the new stuff out there. You see it all the time with cars, although that's truly a different venue. I guess each to their own.

I've got tons of really older stuff (15+ years) stored away, but do I really use it anymore? Honestly, no. And I have really say, it's all much better than old thermoformed Bics that weigh a ton and a half. Stuff that's made over the last 7-8 years is unquestionably better, and it's practically free already.
galateo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD you nailed it man,
I thought real Californian were extinct
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have an unusual reason to buy an Astrorock, there are hundreds of boards that will perform better than it which you can buy at a swap meet for less than $400. And the rig issue is no joke. It is possible to sail with a new rig on a board that old (ie with the mast track that far forward) but in terms of improving your sailing it will hold you back.

northshorehc wrote:

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have an unusual reason to buy an Astrorock, there are hundreds of boards that will perform better than it which you can buy at a swap meet for less than $400. And the rig issue is no joke. It is possible to sail with a new rig on a board that old (ie with the mast track that far forward) but in terms of improving your sailing it will hold you back.

northshorehc wrote:

vims

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the Peconic Puffin on this one, and I think LeeD's comments are slightly wacky, as usual.

Northshorehc, you can use my sail and board calculator to figure out what volume of board will be good for you as a first shortboard, then you can browse around for post-2000 shortboards with at least that much volume.

http://www.vims.edu/general/sailpaddle/SailCalculator.xls

To match well with your 8.5 sail, you might want to lean towards somewhat wider boards, with more than 70 cm width and more than 40 cm fin length.
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignorant naysayers.... I'll tell you why you are wrong !!
But first, I would not choose an AstroDock for my transition board, I'd choose something newer, like maybe a JPSlalom in that sizing......
But to show you how ignorant you are.....
Track on Dock is 61" from tail...too far forward ? YES.
BUT, from front strap setup (remember, this guy is transitioning down on board size), to track is 23.5". Yes, exactly the same as a current slalom setup with a 6.7 sail.
EXACTLY !!! Around here, at Berkeley, ChendaHerstus's setup with an '08NaishSlalom 110 or so at 65cm wide. He's WAAAY faster than you and I.
Note EXACTLY the same spread from front strap to mast track!!
Now move that strap to rear setting, you have +3", meaning 26.5" from center of front strap to center of mast base. Not perfect, for sure, but ...
Consider you guys are thinking of big sails...maybe not Formula sizing but 8 meters.......
That's only about 2" more track forward position than what you currently ride as "normal".....and that's with footstraps set all the way BACK.
See how ignorant YOU are ??
The reason your brain wasn't working correctly was that you were NOVICE sailors when you experienced the AstroDock !!
We don't really expect NOVICE sailors to know what works and what doesn't, do we?
AstroDock works, it's NOT perfect or even preferable, but it works just fine for someone on a budget (under $100), who wants a 17lbs 125 liter board to advance his sailing down to a smaller board.
vims

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever, man. Cool You've made your point that the old stuff can work in a pinch. But I stand by my observation, based on recent experience, that the Astro Rock is awkward compared to post-2000 boards, no matter how you tune it.

I feel like you confuse the newbies on these forums by trying to make a point with a complex, misleading answer instead of just giving a simple, "No, that probably won't work well for you."

If someone asked, "This guy named Mike Tyson wants to fight me. I weigh 120 lbs. Do you think I could win?" you would probably answer, "Well, under the right circumstances, if you used a flying uppercut like my friends and I used to do in the '80s, it would be relatively simple to beat him, so go for it!"

-James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: