myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
outhaul line
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
[1] I wrap the excess around the tail end or boom arm, leaving about 6-8" of outhaul tail.
[2] I pass the remaining outhaul tail through one of the open sheaves and tie it off with a figure 8 knot.

That THWACK! you just heard was my palm hitting my forehead. I've always done Step 2, but never thought to take Step 1. Thanks; I never did like that long tail which could ensnare a finger (and injured an Angulo's eye years ago).

I tie my downhaul off similarly so that if it ever breaks, the "tail" will pick up the load so I can keep on sailin'.

I set my downhaul tension about the same all the time. If I need extra oomph to get ashore in a dying wind I loosen the outhaul, not the downhaul. I do that not because it's easier; I do it because it's more effective. The exception might be these sails that use HUGE amounts of leech flop, like the Simmers which are downhauled until there's DEEP leech flop clear to the boom, reducing the power of a 4.5 to that of an ordinary 3.5. (Why haul around the extra square meter of noisy, flapping bedsheet?)

\m/
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
Dennis, tuck your downhaul line up into your mast base extension. This is much more effective than tucking it into the sail.

Dennis0778 wrote:
anacreon,

very nice. I do the clove hitch but hadn't thought of the stopper knot. very good idea.

now, if I could only keep my downhaul from coming out of the sail and laying on the deck I'd be all set.
Chinook extentions allow for adjustment without requiring disconnecting the rig from the board. It makes it easier to do if you tie it off outside. The clove hitch isn't a nautical knot, but one commonly used for securing reins to hitching posts. If you watch Westerns, they never use it and just toss the reins around the rail. That's really how much the great film directors knew about the days of horse street transportation.

Last edited by speedysailor on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
icesailing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: downhaul line into extention Reply with quote

i run all chinook extentions. they all allow you to put the line in to the extention before you put the base plate cup in.
JRuffus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Usually have my sail caddy, other wise knows as "Ride" on this formu to rigfor me Twisted Evil
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: downhaul line into extention Reply with quote

icesailing wrote:
i run all chinook extentions. they all allow you to put the line in to the extention before you put the base plate cup in.
Yes, you are right. It's a feature of the universal/foot. Thanks for correcting me. I re-edited my post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: