myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sherman Island Accident
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timwnitram

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Sherman Island Accident Reply with quote

I was at Sherman last night with my girlfriend. We were doing a little water-start lesson when a firetruck went by and then a life-flight helicopter flew in.

Anyone hear about this, is the person alright?

-Tim
mogunn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman Island Accident Reply with quote

timwnitram wrote:
I was at Sherman last night with my girlfriend. We were doing a little water-start lesson when a firetruck went by and then a life-flight helicopter flew in.

Anyone hear about this, is the person alright?

-Tim

Some info here

timwnitram

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a relief, a double-compound fracture sucks but things could've been a lot worse. Your stomach just drops when you see the helicopter come in.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the guy has adequate insurance, as the cost for the emergency has to be huge, especially including the helicopter airlift. I was transferred from Hood River to Portland by ambulance a few years back and the cost was over $1100.
andydavis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timwnitram wrote:
...a double-compound fracture sucks ...

of what...do we know?
timwnitram

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...of the leg.

But reviewing that kitesurfing thread, there were some more comments and it turns out that it was more then just the leg and he was hurt worse then just a badly broken leg.

Sucks...
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washoe was really windy yesterday. Kiter on 12 meter went straight down wind, lost it and went superman. Then he went right over a learning windsurfer who came up just then, and was hit by the kiter. Kiter was OK but windsurfer ends up with bloody, probably broken but straight nose and bleeding from the mouth. He was Ok in the end. But always dangerous to be downwind of Kiters esp in high winds (4.0 sails).
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday (7/27) a friend was sailing at Access coming in to the free launch to land. A kiter was ahead of him and upwind. He then turned (to port tack) and clipped my friends board with his board. He said at the time the kite was over his sail. Nothing was said by the kiter. That place is getting kind of dangerous if you ask me.

Steve
rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And guess what-there is not a thing you can do about it. Kiting is a growing sport and any talk about segregating sailing areas is met with a lot of anger and resentment by the kiting community. You will get absolutely nowhere with it. I am up here in the Gorge and the number of kites on the water has exploded in the last two years. It is really tough in river enviroments because of the close quarters and segregating sections of the river is really the only way to go. Thank god for the Sign and Powerlines. I won't go near the Access ever again. It is chaos down there.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

capicella wrote:
And guess what-there is not a thing you can do about it.

Bullcrap. Three solutions quickly come to mind: 1) personal conversation, 2) video cams and the sheriff, and 3) self-defense measures, which in some states include whatever amount of force is necessary to protect yourself. We can't do much to reduce crowds, but there are laws which should manage individual behavior fairly well. "Under a guy's kite", my ass; any one who loses control of his toys and injures another (including personal or financial injury) is guilty in the eyes of the law. Someone who clips your board (with damage, I presume) and sails away is guilty of fleeing the scene of an accident, which is a felony in many states and, I'd guess, maritime law.

Of course, protecting one's self or one's family requires a degree of self-reliance I see rapidly and very regrettably fading from our individual citizens, our society, and many of our nation's potential future leaders.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: