myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
7/22 Corpus Forecast....look....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwood5

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: 7/22 Corpus Forecast....look.... Reply with quote

I wish I could sneak down south this week...looks like it might be really good.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=147&Isection=Wind+Forecast&day=2&model=true

mike
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooo ... what's stopping ya? Are we talking a three-hour drive or a two-day red-eye to get there? Is the forecast reliable enough to invest annual leave time in it? Can you bank job time in advance to avoid using leave next time this happens? Can you reschedule, or send a surrogate to, Tuesday's meeting? Can't that deadline be extended, or met early by working tonight?

There are many ways to get away from most kinds of jobs for a couple of days; have you invested a lot of time thinking about them? I did, and it paid off big time with MANY Windsdays off (before I finally said, "Screw it" and walked away from my career). Give it enough thought and priority, and several general and specific methods for freeing up time for wind emergencies will surface.

Mike \m/
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting forecast. What's this mean? North winds at 40, followed by a 4 hour lull as the wind clocks to SSE and roars back in the mid 30's? Is this a front moving through?

Steve
mwood5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Iso.....the job can all be avoided...it's the 3 month old daughter that keeps me from the road trip this week.

My guess is that this is predicting what will happen when Tropical Storm Dolly hits just south of there. So, at this point, I'd say it is a big gamble. I'm sure there will still be wind of some sort, but I'm not sure what...and for how long. I'll be watching.....

FWIW....from Dallas, it's a 7hr drive to Corpus. In my 89 Toyota LandCruiser, that's about $400 is petrol as well.....yikes.....

m
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwood5 wrote:
To Iso.....the job can all be avoided...it's the 3 month old daughter that keeps me from the road trip this week.

Even that is surmountable in some circumstances; just ask Barry and Cathie Ritchie of Albuquerque and, before that, San Antonio. I've seen Cathie sail a 4.2 when her belly was stretching her wet suit way out to here at about 8 months, and she was back on the 4.2 by the time Tess was "old enough to cry", so to speak. I think Tess all but grew up in their van, parked beside one launch or another from Bird Island to the Hatchery while Mom and Dad sailed in alternating shifts. Generally speaking, it's manageable to some degree.

And from what I've seen of Dallas WSing (my brother lives there, as did my parents), if I were serious about WSing, I'd move.

Just something to consider. Kids don't care where they grow up.

\m/
mwood5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't I wish I was near the water...er, a decent sailing waterhole. If I could move my house to SF or get a decent job in Oregon. Or, Hawaii. Hey, when I was about 22, Doug Hunt offered me a job in his shop in HI....you think that offers still good? Doug...if you're reading this....I'll take it.

m
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwood5 wrote:
If I could ... get a decent job in Oregon

Unless your career is drilling for oil and that's not transferable to drilling for water, you could. A couple of million gainfully employed people can't be wrong, and I can see many 5-10,000 sq ft homes from my street.

Not ON my street, mind you ... FROM it. Wink
OTOH, my humble house would probably cost seven figures in Maui or SF.

Mike \m/
mwood5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Unless your career is drilling for oil

I am a Texan, so you never know....

m
mwood5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Looks like it's really hitting tomorrow now... Reply with quote

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=147&Isection=Wind+Forecast&day=1&model=true
amarie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping for a wave session this afternoon--the wind has already shifted to N and is building. I packed all my sails, even my 2.5, and my surfboard just in case. Port Aransas will hopefully be good, and there's a new brewery there which will be fun to visit post-session. Tomorrow should be even better, and everyone will be off work, so more time to play. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: