myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pro Matt Pritchard FREE Clinic, Demo, BBQ August 2-3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eliot10

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Goya Reply with quote

Hey Jake, congratulations on your last recent award and according to Dan the one that you are the most proud of: the Gorge Freestyle frenzy. so, was it the board, the sailor, or perhaps both?
I'm yet to ride a Tabu board since nobody does demos in Souther Cal. I did my share of demos in Baja last winter where I rode the Goya boards; I found them fast to get up on a plane, smooth, very tight and wide carving efficiency, and best of all FAST! Last week I Rigged a 6.4 Noth warp race sail to practice for the Cabrillo enduro but I had the screws missing on my race fin so I used my Goya 95 FSW with a 30 cm tectonics tomahawk and the 6.4 race sail. The conditions were 20 knots average with semiflat water. I felt so under control on a reach, my jibes were probably the best while being on race gear, there was very little drag and I felt the separation from the other sailors on full race gear right at the jibes; it was a great sailing day for me. The graphics wont make me jump any higher, go faster, or carve a tighter jibe; the sailing speaks for itself. See you at the Gorge this coming weekend.
geffert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chibichibi,

Naturally, I have ridden the 87l quite a bit. I love this board. If you haven't received your board yet and want to come by to meet Matt and ride the 87l and 97l, please stop by. Free food and beer and tips!

I have 4 boards that I really love this year in this size range...the Tabou 3s, the Quatro FSW, the Naish FSW and the Starboard Kombat. All are outstanding and all display very different characteristics. All are available for demo so you can figure out which one works best for your riding style.

Hope to see you all soon!
-Rebecca
Boardsports School & Shop
Alameda, San Mateo, San Francisco
www.BoardsportsSchool.com
jakethesnake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Goya Reply with quote

eliot10 wrote:
Hey Jake, congratulations on your last recent award and according to Dan the one that you are the most proud of: the Gorge Freestyle frenzy. so, was it the board, the sailor, or perhaps both?
I'm yet to ride a Tabu board since nobody does demos in Souther Cal. I did my share of demos in Baja last winter where I rode the Goya boards; I found them fast to get up on a plane, smooth, very tight and wide carving efficiency, and best of all FAST! Last week I Rigged a 6.4 Noth warp race sail to practice for the Cabrillo enduro but I had the screws missing on my race fin so I used my Goya 95 FSW with a 30 cm tectonics tomahawk and the 6.4 race sail. The conditions were 20 knots average with semiflat water. I felt so under control on a reach, my jibes were probably the best while being on race gear, there was very little drag and I felt the separation from the other sailors on full race gear right at the jibes; it was a great sailing day for me. The graphics wont make me jump any higher, go faster, or carve a tighter jibe; the sailing speaks for itself. See you at the Gorge this coming weekend.

Hey Eliot,

Thanks for the kind remarks! I think the combination of gear really helped me score first place. I'm really stoked on the sails and I tested some 2009 sails in the gorge which I am really excited about. Great to hear you are loving the Goya boards! I hope to see you on the water!
Aloha
jakethesnake

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Well Jake, you're right. I guess I forgot about Quatro and Goya, and now that I think about it, Angulo too. I don't know if they're measuring up in sales numbers with the big European brands, but you have to give them credit for throwing their irons in the fire. Given Cobra International's huge production role in the manufacturing process, it does open the door for a broader spectrum of board designer/shapers to participate.

Quatro offers production and custom boards. Our production boards made in Cobra are specific to our own construction and shapes, so they are almost like a custom board. The great thing about getting a true custom board is that Keith Teboul can shape you a board specific to your conditions and what you want the board to do, plus you can design your own graphics if would like. We have a very unique position in the board market offering products that suits the needs of almost anyone, even most of the pros! If you want to check out more check out Quatro's site at www.quatrointernational.com
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jake,

Your post brings up a very noteworthy point. I don't think that there's any question that Keith Teboul is one of the premier wave shapers on the scene today. I think all the real top pros on the wave game now really look to Teboul as being a benchmark leader in the design side of the market (especially in the arguable pyramid of the game - in Maui).

But what's more unusual is the fact that a person can choose the custom or production path. Not many of the top shapers out there can offer that kind of commitment and depth of personal focus. Of course, I'm quite sure the custom list requires some patience. I know that from ordering boards from Mike Zajicek in past years. Still though I find, it's always worth the wait for the trick product, and often the leadtime isn't that unreasonable.
pascal.bronniman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: custom boards Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Hi Jake,

Your post brings up a very noteworthy point. I don't think that there's any question that Keith Teboul is one of the premier wave shapers on the scene today. I think all the real top pros on the wave game now really look to Teboul as being a benchmark leader in the design side of the market (especially in the arguable pyramid of the game - in Maui).

But what's more unusual is the fact that a person can choose the custom or production path. Not many of the top shapers out there can offer that kind of commitment and depth of personal focus. Of course, I'm quite sure the custom list requires some patience. I know that from ordering boards from Mike Zajicek in past years. Still though I find, it's always worth the wait for the trick product, and often the leadtime isn't that unreasonable.

Hi Swchandler,

I am in charge of handling all custom board orders for Quatro. It certainly takes a little bit longer to order a custom board than just getting a board from the rack - current board building time at Quatro is 4 weeks.
There are many advantages getting a custom board - not only will you have a board that is tailored to your needs (style, volume, construction type, rocker line, stance, foot straps width etc.) but also (going back to the original post) you can get an airbrush that you'll really like - you can choose from any of the 250 previous airbrushes (http://www.quatrointernational.com/airbrush.php) or send us a file/mock-up with your ideas and our artist will put it on your board. I copied/pasted a few airbrushes below.

Aloha,

Pascal

S5030017.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.11 KB
 Viewed:  20672 Time(s)

S5030017.jpg

071904.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  131.35 KB

071904.jpg

07193.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  90.74 KB

07193.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pascal,

I have to say that the custom graphics you're doing these days (based on some of the examples below), are notably up the scale from the product I've seen in the past. Very nice! But really, I think getting a Keith Teboul shaped board has got to be the real treat overall. It's super great that you're offering the custom route. Moreover, getting a US manufactured product is always quite meaningful from my point of view, and I'm sure that I'm not alone in this.

Just curious though, while physical shape appears very open, I was wondering whether underlying construction considerations were also in the custom mix too, particularly if you have a team that up on the design, durability and performance tradeoffs that might be involved, and ultimately include more specific information than what can be discerned from some of the mystery stuff that can be associated with stuff made offshore.
windbetty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am off to buy the burgers and dogs, pick up all the Tabou boards for the demo...and load cases of wine into the back of the truck.

We will have FREE FOOD, FREE BOOZE, FREE BOARD DEMOS, and a FREE MATT P CLINIC (not in that order, reverse that).

If you are free this weekend, come join the fun at Coyote!!

Jane
Boardsports School & Shop
http://www.boardsportsschool.com

800px-Cheeseburger.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.76 KB
 Viewed:  20609 Time(s)

800px-Cheeseburger.jpg

pascal.bronniman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Pascal,

I have to say that the custom graphics you're doing these days (based on some of the examples below), are notably up the scale from the product I've seen in the past. Very nice! But really, I think getting a Keith Teboul shaped board has got to be the real treat overall. It's super great that you're offering the custom route. Moreover, getting a US manufactured product is always quite meaningful from my point of view, and I'm sure that I'm not alone in this.

Just curious though, while physical shape appears very open, I was wondering whether underlying construction considerations were also in the custom mix too, particularly if you have a team that up on the design, durability and performance tradeoffs that might be involved, and ultimately include more specific information than what can be discerned from some of the mystery stuff that can be associated with stuff made offshore.

Hi,

the airbrush is just the icing on the cake, for sure.
We always use the best materials available to obtain a great strength/weight ratio, for production- and custom boards alike. We are researching and testing new materials and implement them if they are better than what we are currently using.
One note regarding production boards: most of the brands have them made at Cobra but that doesn't mean that they are all the same. We visit Cobra to give them specific orders of what materials and layups will be used for our boards.
Aloha
kogoul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Kind of like hanging art or photos of nudes on your wall at home. Quite a strong graphic statement for a broad based marketable product for the general public, as not everyone wants to make that kind of message in what they buy or do.

Hey, I'm sure Tabou must have considered that in their product development process. No really strong judgments on my part, but I personally find it's often hard to relate to European graphic statements, even those that are not subject related. Many times, their production graphics just don't make in my book, but admittedly, I'm very picky about that sort of thing.

Big deal it is just the silhouette of a pretty woman, if you have a problem with that: get back on the Mayflower an don't come back. (it is an image)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: