myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Right of Way!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blireef

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars......who knows if he does windsurf?? ROW yield to larger craft whenever possible..
wmike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Does ISOBARS Windsurf?? Reply with quote

Yes, ISOBARS does windsurf and has been windsurfing for many years. I have windsurfed with him back in 1991. Sailed with him at most spots between Jones Beach and 3 Mile. Did photo shoots with him at many places. He was also writing for 2 gorge windsurfing magazines in the early 1990s. I would bet that he has more days on the water than he has posts on this forum. And he will easily do 3 2 hour sessions in a day if the wind is good. Smile
loikiws

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Does ISOBARS Windsurf?? Reply with quote

You think close to 3000 posts on this forum is a lot for Mike F? He's probably racked up a more than 10,000 when you include posts over the last 10 yrs on rec.windsurfing and various Yahoo windsurfing groups. Oh, and he's been officially banned and shouted out of some forums. Just some more background and context for you to consider when reading his posts Wink ... though I'll also add that years ago he posted a write up -- something like "Best jibe pointers I ever ..." -- I still have a printed copy of it in my van ... thanks for the great advice/pointers, Mike (isobars, that is -- not whitesalmonmike).

whitesalmonmike wrote:
Yes, ISOBARS does windsurf and has been windsurfing for many years. I have windsurfed with him back in 1991. Sailed with him at most spots between Jones Beach and 3 Mile. Did photo shoots with him at many places. He was also writing for 2 gorge windsurfing magazines in the early 1990s. I would bet that he has more days on the water than he has posts on this forum. And he will easily do 3 2 hour sessions in a day if the wind is good. Smile
dclopez

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Right of Way Reply with quote

I just try to avoid people as much as I can ... but in general there's usually a flow and direction to the crowd on the water ... so those people on a hard upwind or downwind reach should look out for cross-traffic ... I've hard people approach from behind and downwind on a hard upwind reach, which is something you only hear at the last minute ... very annoying ...
wsmike

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that ROW rules go out the window starting around the 4th of July and continue till Sept 1st. This is the prime tourist/vacationer season and they just don't give a shit about rules on the water. Most of them come from a place where there might be 1 or 2 other windsurfers on a lake that is 9 sq miles so they don't ever deal with it. When you put these noobs in the snake pit at the Hatch on a 3.7 day, its just about enough to piss a guy off.

Sooo many times I've had port tack sailors try to pinch me out as I held course on starboard. This happens a lot with the local pros, Canucks, Texans, Coloadoans, and local non-pros. WTF?! Just too macho to "yield"? I guess there's nothing to be done except come so close that you can see the terror in their eyes, then let out a loud whooooohoooo!! to let them know you're there.

I think ROW should be posted at every sailing spot, not that anybody would read it in the mad scramble to the water.
dclopez

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Right of way Reply with quote

I also think it's nice to give the person attempting to get on a plane some lattitude ... nothing more annoying than trying to get on a plane and into foot-straps when some bozo does a powered-up flyby across your bow ...
dclopez

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Yielding on tack Reply with quote

Yea ... what's up with the yielding on tack ... I yield to tack about 90% of the time because it seems most people would rather sail parallel straight into the wind than yield tack ... of course if people want to play chicken ... well ... I'm a good 210 lbs ... I'll win that one everytime ...
mik377

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I yield to everyone, just like when I'm driving a car
As far as " I'm a good 210 lbs ... I'll win that one everytime"
I get the point but if you're on a Quatro or RRD playing chicken with somone who's on an older Bic (or even worse -an O'Brien) it's a no win.
fly50

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Im 200 lbs too, but I dont really think I would win if I collided with someone, even if they were 100 lbs. Hurting someone else is not my idea of fun, even if they arent yielding. Most people are just trying to have fun, its not a contest. If you want to run into people and compete, try football or rugby.
wsmike

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I can help to simplify things for you a bit. You can avoid pissing locals off, and unwanted collisions 95% of the time by observing 1 simple rule:

Starboard tack, maintain point of sail
Port tack, fall off or pinch way up to avoid collision and/or getting close enough to see whites of the eyes.

Very simple.

And no, pinching up doesn't mean nearly stalling out your board and avoiding a collision by 5 feet and 1/2 a second.

I do realize that you vacationing guys suck, that's still no excuse for ignorance of the rules. Try telling that to a cop when he pulls you over, "I may have been going 50, but officer I didn't know the posted speed limit was 35!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: