myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
133 litre board for 100-105kg person. Is it too optimistic?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaximNYC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: 133 litre board for 100-105kg person. Is it too optimistic? Reply with quote

Want to buy freeride type (133 ltr GO or Futura from Starboard). This is going to be my first "personal" board.
So far used 160lts from one of my colleague or just rented.

Have an idea to carry board inside my my car (have a wagon) so each inch counts.

P.S. BTW Any one want to sell used?
alex177

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

135 should be fine. Will feel a bit tippy and small at the very beginning, but you'll get used to it in a couple of hours. If not, eat less french fries Wink

Modern freeride boards (as Futura or Go) are short but pretty wide. Mostly likely your board would be your only passenger to the beach.

Best,
Alex.
force5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you feel on the 160 L board. Your post said 100kg - meaning 220 lbs?!

I would think that 133 L would be a bit small, except for very windy conditions.

If you felt the 160 L felt right, go with that size. If it felt big, maybe you are ready for smaller.

What sail sizes have you?
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously depends on your prevelent wind conditions, you skill, and your inclination to ride smaller gear, plus wetsuits, backpacks, and whatever else gear you carry besides thickness and kind of whether wet or dry wetsuit.
Here, salt water, sorta steady winds and sail sizing around 5.5 to 7.5, seems most guys 225lbs., do have a 130 liter big boards and about 110 liter smaller boards, and one 85 liter high wind board.
OTOH, had a roomate, very fast and skilled, who weighed 275lbs, wore a 4-3 wetsuit, and swore he could uphaul the 127 liter 9'5" Seatrend when he couldn't waterstart due to sub 12mph winds. I never really saw him uphaul it, but he DID surfsail PuntaAbreojos his first season with a Marker 1, the 200 liter square tailer and he did frontside bottom turn and OTLips IN the straps. And he was uphauling in whitewater around head high, but kept a good sense of humor about it.
So, I guess you can make it as hard as you want, or as easy as you want, but maybe making some compromises along the way.
SkyRocketnFlight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: 220 lb responds.. Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm 220 and have been windsuring 2 seasons and gradually getting smaller boards. My progression of boards is below.
Don't go to small too fast. If you are still learning foostraps/planing and tacking it's best to err on the larger size. I would say go 145 rather than 133, the performance difference in that size range is negligible. Thery are both considered light wind boards.

I went too big initially, a 180 and sold that my first year for a Naish ICON.
Great board, taught me how to get in the straps, very fast and forgiving.
Futuras are great and you can get away with smaller sizes since
they have a short stout shape. A board I just bought which I love is
the Tabou Rocket, 145. Got great reviews in magazines, quick to plane, fast, comfy, and eats up chop compared to other boards its size.

I think I could have skipped over a 160 to the 145 immediately but I liked the gradual progression. I think a board of 145 would be better and allow you to plane more often than a 133. The 145 is my bread and butter board for the majority of the summer. In spring/fall i've been using the 120 and 107 more.

If you get a 133 then i would go with a second board around 110 or so, a 120 might be a bit close.

Make sure to buy big ass fins if you are running a 7.5 (16-17 inch weed fin) or a 15 inch if you are running a 6.6 I overlooked fins for a long time and suffered lots of spin out.

So, my quiver is a 145 Rocket, 120 Quatro and 107 Tabou 3S.
I am happy with the spread for now, getting out in 15 to 30 mph.
Next purchase will probably be a 97 liter that i will use in a few epic days, 30 plus.

My suggestion is to heed advice from folks only stating they are 200+ lbs, it's a really different sport for us due to size. I'm using smaller sails than I used to but am still a meter or so larger rigged than other wsurfers.

Good luck.

-Greg
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck finding a 2008 board used this part of the year. 2.2 lbs per kg means the same as 2.2 lbs per liter for neutral flotation. Even with the rig, 133 would mean some positive buoyancy. May want to consider a Kona. I've got one that replaces 3 short boards. Does the flats and surf very well. Gybes way easier than one might think. Just got to commit to the non-planing gybe (long board style) or the planing one. Just a thought.
LoveSplittingLanes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 200lbs and can uphaul no problem on a 127L Super Sport with my 8.5 on it (@%$# heavy rig!). More volume and you'll plane obviously sooner but might "suffer" when the wind picks up. Newish boards are wide and do not like choppy conditions... reason why I went for "slightly" lower volume instead of 140+ board... And also decided to stop eating more french fries Smile O.
johngullotti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm 225 lbs and sail an older 130 liter Exocet Speed Slider 77. It's my big board and I sail it from 6.0 to 9.5 conditions. I have no trouble at all uphauling it. It's a sweet ride with my 7.5 sail and a raptor 39 cm weed fin. So far it seems to have a 28 mph (gps) top speed because I seem to hit that speed pretty frequently. But I'm usually competitive with lighter sailors who are sailing with smaller boards and sails.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That SS 77 is still one rockin' board. Do yourself a favor, never get rid of it.
MaximNYC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. Will take 144 ltr Futura or Roket and will put big lock on fridge Smile

Could you advise on sail? Like size and configuration. What would be your choice? (at NY/NJ)

One practical question: Year 2007 board are sailing with big discount - for instance this Roket LTD 140L is like 500 off the price of the 2008. Is there any issues with buying old?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: