myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Behaving Badly
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Behaving Badly Reply with quote

Well I had an interesting day at Sherman Island Access today. While I know I did not behave that well, I'm curious as to what others thing or would have done.....

Basically launching off the Access, there were about 4 of us in the water, so it was not crowded at all (just turning to the ebb, it got more crowded later). After about 5 - 10 minutes of sailing, I fell near the levy on another failed Duck Jibe. I came up from the fall and turned towards my gear (I was upwind from it). A spash completely covered me going completely over my head. I turned around and saw a windsurfer using me as a "jibe bouy". He was 8 - 10 feet away when he finished his turn. I don't know if he was 2 feet away when he buzzed me, or a little farther and splashed me on purpose (I noticed my board splash is about 2'). Either way in my experience he was WAY too close (and going full speed). This was not a beginner sailor (Advanced skill level) and there was NOBODY else near us, so there was plenty of room.

I was pissed to put it lightly. As he finished his jibe, I yelled to him "if you come that close to me again we are going to have words". His immediate response was "f#ck you" and he flipped me off. This of course started the "f#ck you" dance as he sailed away.

We had two more ecounters and there was a lot of hostility and we both behaved badly which endangered both of us. The end result was nobody got hurt and nobody's gear got damaged. But it came close.

I ended up pinching WAY upwind to put distance between us, and he seemed to go a bit downwind.

I later talked to another sailor in the parking lot about it and he said that he felt "pushed around" while he was sailing with a sailor or two making him constantly change course. I don't know if it was the same sailor or not.

While I would have LOVED to just sail away, unfortuantely after being in a job for 25 years where I deal with and can not run from conflict, it doesn't come easy to me.....

My point/question is do you guys feel this is appropriate? And what would you have done?
surfdog55

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something does not seem right. You sure you were at the access? I've been injured most of the last 4 years and just started sailing at the access this year and have had prox. 20 sessions. I haven't seen any thing like what you described. Just a bunch of nice people and no aggression. Seems like there is a lot of room on the river. My advice is just to avoid this guy and hope he's not a regular. I hope I don't run into him or visa versa. Thanks for the heads up. L8r JT
STEIN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had "encounters" sailing the delta on a few occasions. Guys not giving way when they're on port, sailing "close" when there was no need. I moved up or down wind slightly and remember thinking, "am I imagining this or what". Talked to other sailers later and found out some locals think the delta is there home turf and only their's. Like alot of surfers at their local break. Not sure what to do, pack heat? It takes all kinds, sorry. I'm sure this guy drives the roads the same way.
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the access. I think I have seen him before, but I'm not 100%. I agree about the conduct of the people there. You have your newer sailors who make mistakes, but not experienced guys with attitude. It's usually a great place to sail (been going to Sherman over 14 years now) and the gang is usually great. This was something new to me. In hindsight, I could have reacted better, but........
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

Don't beat yourself up.
Yeah, it happens. The fact that you are posting here means you feel bad about the incident and this is the road to recovery. Forgive yourself and stoke up for another session. Tell yourself "as soon as the wetsuit goes on, my sole focus will be on windy waves".

I am touchy about being used as a jibe marker. SO, I sail upwind or downwind of the prime line. WAY upwind, jibe WAY off wind. I never launch right at crissy but down wind @ the yacht club or upwind Coast Guard Station.

Sailing Coyote? Launch at Embassy. Same at Herd, or the stick. You get the Idea. If you must sail near everyone park and walk it up wind and find a different launch.

It amazes me at Sherman, crissy etc... there is a whole river and bay still everyone launches and sails on the prime line. Rolling Eyes
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny because a guy that just had this "asshole" ora around him was there last weekend and he was doing the same thing to people ( including myself ) I shook it off thinking maybe I was trying to be agressive. But he never flipped me off though. He did look me right in the eye's though, it's a surfing thing, getting a top turn and hacking the lip to slpash all those barneys who did not make it, but it makes a hell of a lot more sense in the line-up where your full competion and show-offness means either getting waves or being splashed and fliped-off. I got my window smashed in at the acess last year, he new it was me because of the Gaastra sicker on the car. I was upset because I could not figure out why he would do it?

I have never had a problem with localism that wasnt related to some other personality issue, like a guy just wanting to be a punk or bully. Always turn the other way and walk, or saill down wind. Avoid conflict untill it is unavoidable, then come get me and i'll totally back you up.

\
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked how many people sail there, satistics have to say that one or two are 51/50.

I'm crazy, I know that's one; but everyone tells me it's the good kind of crazy.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See how many people rush to help him the next time his mast or boom breaks. Don't worry about it, he'll get his. Wink
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we don't need to commission a study on the long term effects of agricultural chemical run off, just makes some locals total tools.

Localism at the Delta, holly cow. Just get a buddy and pinch him in, that will do the trick.

I agree with Suba, I've even had this type of thing happen at Coyote years ago. Launch at Embassy and you'll find nothing but the most pleasant, friendly and courteous bunch of sailors, sort of self regulating.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

things break
some people are jackasses

tho things in life that are constant.

Boggsman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: