myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Behaving Badly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are talking about the county park launch. The access is just outside where ABK sets up. I've been sailing there for years and those of us that you would consider "locals" are very easy going. There is absolutely no localism at all from us. I've not seen the jerk, but I'm sure there are a few out there as they are in all walks of life. As other posters said, when it gets crowded just go up or down wind. Up wind can be a problem on lighter days because you will have a line of kiters to pass through. I wouldn't go down wind on a flood unless you are sailing formula gear though.

Coachg
koogzah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this the guy on big slalom gear with the Hulk Hogan bandana over his scalp? He looked like trouble to me.
afolander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I launched at Powerlines Saturday afternoon and there were only a few of us on the water, versus the Access having many extra folks from the ABK camp classes going on.

With the windsurfing lessons in the playpen and around the Access, there would be much less room than a normal summer weekend, particulary for those wanting to sail back and forth, down the line, with a standard jibe in playpen itself.

I worry more about fishermen setting up and casting out into the playpen with heavy weights while people are sailing.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen and/or heard about at least five solutions to guys like that who won't listen to words:
Backloop/jibe/swerve in their face.
Beat them up (two incidences).
Pin them to the ground with an elbow in their neck until they change color.
Follow them ashore and do whatever it takes.
Tap hulls and warn that that next time will be at full speed.

If the victim is a wife or kid, you actually get serious about it.

That, or give them time for karma to break both their heels.

\m/
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes fate puts you in an odd position of conflict with others, but I'm surprised that it was another windsurfer. Often these days, it seems that it's a kiter that does something untoward or potentially dangerous. Maybe it could have been unintentional, but the expletive and flip-off absolutely rules that out. Seems that you had that rare encounter with a total jerk.

In any case, you're lucky the the situation didn't escalate into a serious confrontation. Some folks can be totally whacked and unpredictable, so it's usually best to avoid them if at all possible. But, needless to say, unfortunate confrontations with others are very unsettling, and it's tough to shake the negative emotions once they get stirred up. Still though, it's good to voice your thoughts about the situation, as it tends to help bring your feelings back down to earth and it allows you the opportunity to put the situation behind you.
jse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being used as a jibe mark doesn't necessarily bug me unless it is close enough where a blown jibe can cause me to be struck by the equipment. In fact I actually like seeing a good jibe close up. Only once did I have to get in someone's face. Last year in Maui, twice, and both times with flagrant eye contact (we're talking stank-eye) a big guy on big slalom gear headed up at the last minute, forcing me to fall in the water to avoid contact. He on port, me on starboard. High wind too so the speeds were considerable. It was inside the reef, so no issue with who was on a wave, and both incidents were on subsequent tacks, so it seemed like I was being singled out. I followed him to the beach and against my better instinct, had some serious words with him. Didn't happen again and I didn't get my ass kicked.

Steve
shahn1508

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: I Experienced Same Attitude at The Sign on Saturday. Reply with quote

I'm one of The Sign regulars during the week. Due to the recent wind drought, I went out on Saturday. Now I remember why I don't sail weekends there:
1) Cut-off multiple times by sailors who do not know, or ignore, right-of-ways;
2) Some, not all, non-regulars exhibited lack of respect for everyone, on and off the water. For example, we tried to leave an opening to get up the stairs over the levy but some fool had to park there. Also, people too lazy to walk around cars so they let rigs scratch someone's car;
3) After a line of 3 sailors waited for a newbee to get into the water, we started to exit. However, some idiot just couldn't wait to get in the water and ran down and cut us off. Nice manners. I'm sure his mother wouldn't approve. He didn't even apologize; and
4) Jibes way too close to other sailors.
Bottom line - Everyone needs to respect the sport. Otherwise, a few people will ruin it for the rest of us. When some fool does something stupid, take a deep breath and steer clear. The river is big enough for everyone.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I Experienced Same Attitude at The Sign on Saturday. Reply with quote

shahn1508 wrote:
Also, people too lazy to walk around cars so they let rigs scratch someone's car;

That is what happened to my car last year at The Access on a crowded weekend, car was out of the way, got long scratches/marks from a mast tip along the entire left side Evil or Very Mad
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shahn .. i agree on the SIgn rap on Sat . It was crowded. I will also add that a lot of regulars at the SIGN have an atitude of ownership. They have a look on their face like they own the water immediately adjacent to the water, the bench , the grass , etc. I paid my 20 bux Im entitled.

Boggs
cole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I Experienced Same Attitude at The Sign on Saturday. Reply with quote

I sailed the sign sunday and was parked upwind of the stairs. Somebody's gear scratched 3 panels of my new car in one long swoop. So it happened two days in a row?? I assumed it was from someone oblivious but now I'm not so sure. Anyone know who did it?
There was plenty of space to the stairs (several car widths at least) next to me. I'd never leave the stairs parked in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: