myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing in Nova Scotia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barnett

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing in Nova Scotia? Reply with quote

Any Nova Scotia windsurfers out there? I may visit NS this summer and I would like to know all about what the windsurfing scene is like there, the wind conditions, best sailing sites, etc.

There is very little info available online that I have found.

Thanks,

Michael
scooper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never sailed in Novia Scotia, although I've driven through it on my way to windsurf in Prince Edward Island. We skipped Novia Scotia because the water is supposed to be so cold there. If you have some good neoprene I'm sure you'll be fine.

The Bay of Fundy, (the west side of Novia Scotia), has the biggest tides in the world. That should make for some interesting windsurfing adventures.

PEI has had great wind at the end of August, for the 5 or 6 times I've made the trip. I hope you have the same luck with Novia Scotia.

speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would do better to post such an inquiry on the Eastern thread.
wavepro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Sailing in Nova Scotia Reply with quote

the water temperature and cooler sea air demands a wetsuit; booties, gloves and hood are NOT required. do not sail the bay of fundy even tho' the tide may be against the wind and it 'looks windy' - rig big everywhere you sail. Last year all my NS sailing was on 5.7/85 freestyle wave and I am 190lbs. A few times my 5.3 and never my 4.7.

Sometimes a weed fin makes for a better session

the venues are not numerous. they are:
- the Range, 10 miles past Lawrencetown Bch., up the Eastern Shore 25 miles outside of Halifax. Large bay with sandy bottom and wave wrapping into bay on occasion. The 'point', complete with hidden rock, some kelp and set waves or wind waves. Intermediate to expert.
- Crescent Beach is on the South Shore and is great on a sou'west day as the thermal, venturi effect and point effect all create a wind machine. Onshore on the oceanside, if the tide is right you can cross behind the sand dunes and go speedsailing on the 'back bay' which is shallow, safe and for learning to close the gap. You will sail one size smaller here than at other venues and never be lost to sea on a s/w day at Crescent Bch.!
- Melmurby Bch. Prov. Park - back bay speed sailing and oceanside offshore unless systems cross right over you then the wind can clock around.
PEI is fun flatwater sailing for the most part. Take the ferry to the Magdelaine Islands for waves/ocean and flatwater sailing!
Check the marine and look for 'gale warning issued' for your destination:
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/marine/region_atlantic_e.html
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread also covers the topic of windsurfing in Nova Scotia and the Atlantic Provinces:

http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=7651
speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing Magazine has a feature article on the Accadian Islands in the most recent July issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: