myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Thank You to the Kitesurfers at Gazos Creek
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cherrywood182

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Thank You to the Kitesurfers at Gazos Creek Reply with quote

Me and my buddy went to try a bit of windsurfing on the coast yesterday. We stopped at Gazos Creek just north of Waddell.
There were no windsurfers, and only three kitesurfers.
We didn't really know the area, so we gained a bit of local knowledge from the kitesurfers who were super friendly.
We rigged too small and didn't manage to get out past the break just floundering around in the impact zone for a while before giving up.
Anyhow, I just wanted to say thank you to the kitesurfers that gave freely of their local knowledge adding warmth and welcome to what was otherwise a challenging day for us.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sailed this spot a few times.

The local KS's that frequent this spot are an A+ crew, really good bunch of guys.

Sailing this place with a mix of KS and just me WSing, sadly reminds you of how it should be all the time.

Really nice flow on the water, everyone super respectful and friendly, no dropping in. Guess it comes with being a harder break that takes a bit to get out. One of the KS mentioned it is a terrific winter surf break. Pretty obvious that this crew also surfs.

Hung out last 4th with this crew after sailing and had the same experience as you. Great spot, especially if you like to commit, otherwise it has a habit of spitting you out !

Works really well when the wind goes NNW, plus you can restock beer and ice super close, anything better!

Taught me that WS and KS can get on fine with no aggro and all having a good time.
cherrywood182

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly made Davenport seem a whole lot less challenging under similar conditions. And, yes the diner across the road makes it a very nice spot indeed. We had lunch on the way down and dinner on the way back there and the food was excellent. Unfortunately I think I am a ways away from having enough experience to be able to sail there comfortably.
letwink

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went there a few years ago and did not have small enough gear to either windsurf or kiteboard. The guy parked next to us loaned me a kite so I could go out. He told me when I was finished to just roll it up and put it in the back of his truck, he would keep it unlocked for me. This level of generosity is rarely experienced anymore.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we just doomed the place.

Glad you mentioned the restaurant, was it really that good or are you simply following WS / surfing relative review. What I mean is similar to the world famous "Jalama" burger, only famous as it hasn't "yet" killed anyone. Although I was warned that the breakfast burrito could wipe a city out.

Remember going out the first time at this spot and certainly had that "oh sh&*(" better commit when punching out. Place seems to hold a pretty big swell.

Other great thing is how uncrowded it is.
cherrywood182

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need worry about this place getting crowded since the break is so difficult to get through Davvie and Waddell are easier targets for the crowds.
No, really the diner was *really* very good, and I say that with my "wife is a gourmet chef and we are food snobs" hat on, not the, "I just swam the English channel and I'll eat an old boot coz I'm starving" hat.
I had a surfer joe scramble at lunch and a burger for dinner, both cooked to perfection, not raw, and not burnt, nice and juicy. I was actually surprised coz I wasn't expecting much. Plus they had a live band going at lunch.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know. As you mentioned England, food next to gas station is usually fatal.

On that note, was sailing Arroyo a few years ago and slept in my van near that group of hotels in San Simeon. I woke up starving and a lady who works at the diner on the west side of hwy.1 is getting out of her car. I ask where is good for breakfast. She says 5 miles down in Cambria. There's aclue, the person working in the place tells you to head for the hills. Like a moron I trot into the diner. Never have I eaten more putrid in my life. Having been partly brought up in London that is really saying something, especially as a sampler of the piss drunk doner kebab.
bludyell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we should bury this thread now to keep the place select!

BTW 'piss drunk doner kebab' pretty much describes how I felt after 3hours or so trying to get out through the break!
Should've noticed the wind dying; finally limped out by going right 1/2 mile up the beach - that's the local tip.....no sidehsore rip like in front.
Then I practiced my best 'trolling' on the outside, but had a great ride in on the swell - like a cold Sprecks!

Davvy will be the next ride I think, but I'm defintely coming back....
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally hit the place when the wind goes NNW, works like a charm.

I just got a little skittish after a while being the only one out. Had a 2 1/2 swim in solo at Dillon beach that always swirls around my head. Thought I was a snack that day for sure. People called the coasties and they said at least 4 hrs. I was already 2 six packs in by then!
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazo's is cool, very similar to FaceRock up N of Floras.
Pretty background in photos, nice shorepound to keep the novice crowd onshore, it won't get crowded, for sure.
Some daze nice at the cut up below PigeonPt, thos not wave riding, but rock avoiding while riding nonbreaking swells.
There's another almost unsailed spot just S of G, a long hike in but outer reef stuff on NNW winds. Some guys say it's sharky, but I've surfed there too and only moving kelp spooks the brain. Cattle gate makes for deja Cayucos thoughts.
For you guys who haven't sailed G's, mind it's a pounding shorebreak that closes out if you find an open shoulder, either direction, and you gotta commit both punching out and right before the pound. Not a lot of rescue services, but you'll drift to shore at the spot above paragraph if you break down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: