myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Assateague Island Launches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wazenski

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Assateague Island Launches Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where to launch at Assateague Island? Soundside and oceanside. Its been pretty windy there lately, and I'm looking to make the trip to get some.

Thanks,
Mike
cinda

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can launch from the bayside camping loop, or if you don't have a spacer eserved by the canoe/ kayak rental place. watch out for the submerged remains of the old bridge (maybe its just a misc. railroad tie but it will stop you dead) approx. 50 yds off shore.
human_catapult

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know who the authority on assateague is? George Markopolous (sp?)

live2sail.blogspot.com

leave a comment for him demanding some in depth coverage... I think he's hoarding secret spots... Laughing
NikosWave

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Assateague sailing Reply with quote

Best sailing in the National Park. If you plan on going even occasionally, buy the year-round pass. It's only $20. I think it's $8 for a week, but not sure. (The state park is way more) For Bay sailing, go to the Kayak rental area that is a right turn just after you go through the toll area. This time of year you will need a weed fin. Very shallow at low tide, but just walk straight out past that submerged thing "cinda" mentioned and you'll get to deep enough water. High tide is not a problem, but you can't see the submerged thing at high tide. Take note of the marker that sticks up off of the SW corner of it. There is a channel out in the middle of the bay, so you can find some decent ramps. Or when the tide is higher, you can sail downwind of the nearby island for flat water blasting. Lots of fun.

For ocean sailing, follow the main road until the end and you will come to a circle. The last right turn off the circle is South Beach. It has fairly limited parking, but when it's windy, people don't stay on the beach long, so even if the lot is full, you usually don't have to wait long. Just rig up by the bathrooms on whichever little grassy area you can find and walk over the dune. The best break is usually a little south from their about where the 4WD area starts. Best at low tide, especially if the waves are small. Shorebreak can be huge if the waves are bigger and its higher tide, but the sand bar is about 50 yards off shore so it's a great place to wave sail. And the not-so-shallow bar makes smaller waves not too strong, so it can be fantastic for learning to wave sail.

Hope that helps. I grew up outside OC and have sailed at Assateague for years. Now live in Laurel, MD so I don't get there as often as I would like, but I was just there on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Another place to consider is Public Landing near Snow Hill. It's only 7 miles by water from the kayak rental place on Assateague, but it's no where near the park by car. Bay there is 5 miles across. Clean water, grassy rigging, and almost no one there. No boats or jet skis. Nice place.

-Niko
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: