myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Roosevelt brush clearning work party Sat June 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Roosevelt brush clearning work party Sat June 7 Reply with quote

The Corps of Engineers has an event there 9 AM - 12 noon, centered around clearing the entire Roosevelt Park waterfront of the tangled brush that snarls the shoreline of most of the far eastern Columbia. The task will include lopping off the indigo beneath the soil line to prevent foot-cutting stakes, then dragging it to a dumpster or truck.

Their memo:

Saturday June 7th, The Dalles-John Day project will be hosting a SOLV/Let's
Pull Together False Indigo Bush Removal Event at Roosevelt Park. The intent
is to widen the area accessible adjoining the beach area. The event is to
take place between 9:00am and 12:00pm. We are looking for volunteers to
assist in this effort. Long sleeves, pants and closed toe shoes are
recommended. Volunteers are urged to bring loppers or pruning shears if they
have them.

http://www.letspulltogether.com/files/image/Info_TheDalles.jpg

http://www.solv.org/programs/event_details.asp?eventID=14098

Greg Volkman
Park Ranger
CENWP-OD-D
The Dalles, Oregon
541.506.7818 or 7819
fax: 541.298.7543

Mike \m/
WMP

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bush Removal", eh? Shoulda gotten rid of THAT a long time ago, heaven knows we need to remove Bush... Wink

Last edited by WMP on Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you're reading the Corps memo. That's probably a rare event for them.

\m/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much to Steve from Goldendale for coming to help with the work party and to the one other non-local volunteer whose name I didn't get. Those plus two Rosey regulars were it; we got about 5% of the objectives achieved.

I hope future Roosevelt work parties get better turnout, because without volunteer labor, Roosevelt may revert to its pre-volunteer state: more goatheads (stickers) than grass due to no sprinklers, no wind-block trees at the west end, primary waterfront obscured by big hedgerow, no seawall, no restrooms, lawn covered by winter debris, etc.

OTOH, only one Corps troop turned out for this "Corps event", so maybe they also didn't take it as seriously as implied.
katosandog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being that I'm 14 hours away, I couldn't make it, but had I been there ...

It's a shame folks don't understand that if 60 people had showed up you might have a got a story in a paper and it would have got back to local government. When the next person went forward with a proposal for a new launch site it might have been received seriously.

It's really not surprising that nobody showed. I arrived in town last year at the end of the day of the big delta cleanup in Hood River. There were five or six guys doing it all - they did a great job. From what I saw they were all old enough that the kiting community would have ridiculed them if they saw them on the water.

Roosevelt is a great place. When you consider that it's really in the middle of nowhere, it amazing how nice it is and how good the facilities are. When I come down from Calgary, I always plan to be there by 1 PM, and I'm just praying to sail.

I dunno - maybe to ensure the future of the place a daily fee should be charged.
dolttl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katosandog,

Perfect, you're too far away to help, suggest 60 other people should rally for the cause, but then you can't wait to use the facilities. Put up or shut up, don't tell us how to run our parks.

-d
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katosandog wrote:
It's a shame folks don't understand that if 60 people had showed up you might have a got a story in a paper and it would have got back to local government. When the next person went forward with a proposal for a new launch site it might have been received seriously.

It's really not surprising that nobody showed. I arrived in town last year at the end of the day of the big delta cleanup in Hood River. There were five or six guys doing it all - they did a great job. From what I saw they were all old enough that the kiting community would have ridiculed them if they saw them on the water.

maybe to ensure the future of the place a daily fee should be charged.

Even the corridor work parties that get 50 to 100 people don't get press.

A kiter told me 2,000 of his closest friends turned out for the last H.R. delta cleanup. Not one helped at Roosevelt this year.

State park fees are illegal in WA, and that applies to Rosey.

\m/
katosandog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolttl wrote:
Katosandog,

Perfect, you're too far away to help, suggest 60 other people should rally for the cause, but then you can't wait to use the facilities. Put up or shut up, don't tell us how to run our parks.

-d

I'm not telling anybody anything, and yeah I can't wait to sail at Roosevelt because I appreciate the place. If I could be there to help I would. And I would pay a fee if I had to in order to sail there, even if it was only applicable to me.

What time did you get there?
wmike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Hatch cleanup this year about 20 people showed up for part of the time or all of the time. Most of us were over 50 years old. maybe 2 showed up under 50. At Doug's this year they had 3 parks people and less than 5 windsurfers. I have been doing the Hatch clean up for many year and have never seen over 30 people helping, there were more people there at times but they were either watching or windsurfing.

Mike
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosey's parking lot was almost full of kite and wind surfers. ONE who had come for the sailing and found about about the work by word of mouth felt guilty enough to walk over and help. She worked hard the whole three hours.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: