myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
One novice to another - board selection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbiggar

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: One novice to another - board selection Reply with quote

I just found this site and quickly combed through the threads for board selection but didn't come up with much specific. So here is the question, how to choose a board. Here is the a brief overview of what I think is relevant:

1) Weight 180
2) Able to plane comfortably using straps and harness
3) Done maybe 2 waterstarts, both pretty sketchy
4) Think I'll figure out the waterstart relatively soon
5) Live in Vancouver, fairly light winds

Anyways, I am tossing up between the Naish Icon 130-145L and the Starboard GO 139L. If anyone has some advice to share I would really appreciate it. Also, I would like to go to the Gorge a couple times a year. Cheers
srich

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for an intermediate board either one will serve you well. At your point in windsurfing the most important thing is builing skills. Keep spending time working on waterstarts. And make sure you work on water starting both directions. I made the mistake years ago of spending most of my time getting my waterstart going one direction. One day when I thought I had my waterstarts pretty well down I headed out from the Hood River Marina. When I went to jibe and fell, I realized the wind was stronger out in the channel than I had anticipated. The Swell in the channel was larger than I was used to as well. Bottom line my skills were not enough to get me back. I kept trying to waterstart until I was exhausted. Back in those days there was a volunteer jet ski that brought people in. He was actually looking for someone else but towed me into the Eventsite. Now you are at the mercy of anyone willing to help bring you in. There are no patrols.

I know I haven't answered your question, which board will meet your needs better. But living where you do, if you get as passionate about the sport as most of the folks on these forums you will soon be moving on to higher wind equipment. I was on my 135 L board for about 1 and a half seasons before moving on to my 100 L slalom board. Once I got comfortable on the 100L the 135 was history. Both boards you are considering should plane up well and jibe with ease. Here in the Gorge right by Hood River we have the Hook which is where I learned to nail my waterstarts. It has a nice waist deep practice area with flat water perfect for building waterstart skills quickly. Sounds like you are well on your way--Have a great summer!

Steve
scottwerden

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vancouver WA or BC? If Washington, I imagine you will get to the gorge more often and I would definitely go smaller in board. At your weight even at a fairly beginning level you can easily be on something 90-100L in the gorge.
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you're looking at the right boards, as far as volume goes (I don't know anything about the Naish, but both will probably be a lot of fun).

I'd slightly disagree with Scott, but his advice is actually not bad. Thing is, it really depends on windspeed/sail size. At your weight, a 100ish litre board will be very versitile, and you'll really grow into it. However, if the winds are lighter or maybe a little up and down, you'll probably be really happy with a 120-140 litre board and a bigger sail. You'll just get up and go that much sooner. Honesty, I'd be wary of a 90ish litre board. I'm about your weight, maybe 5 or 8 pounds heavier, and I have a 87 litre board that is really more of a high wind board for me. If the wind drops, I'm in the water.

I have a 120 board that I get a ton of use out of. So if you're going to be faced with a lot of light wind/big sail days, you'll get a lot more happy sailing in with a bigger board.

But.... Scotts right, especially if you want to sail a lot in the Gorge (but it sounds like you won't be). A 105 litre board at your weight will be very different than a 130-40, even a 120. It will seem more nimble, and just be a bit more of a thrill to sail. But you might find you're doing more slogging than you like. It depends on the sail size you intend to use. If you're going to be sailing a 7 meter or bigger a lot, you'll probably be happy with the bigger board size. If you're going to be fully powered up with 5-6m sails, then a 100-115 would be a really good choice.
dbiggar

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. I am in Vancouver BC, wishin I was closer to the gorge. Anyways, going to just bite the bullet on the Naish, they're blowin out some last years models for cheap. Just for your info as well, I spent a month last winter in Costa Rica at Lake Arenal and it was blowing just about everyday non-stop. It is fantastic. Check out Ticowind.com Highly recommended for a mid winter getaway. Cheers, and thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: