myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 404, 405, 406 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkeley...OPed to swimming in the blink of an eye. Got my workout for sure.
windward1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Captiola Reply with quote

Sailed Capitola after launching at New Brighton State Park. On an Angulo 10' 10 " Wind SUP with a 7.0 Ezzy Cheetah. Sailed up to Bombora, but nothing special going on there. Continued to just east of the main surfing area at the Capitola Jetty and caught the southern storm swell coming in. It was 7 to 8 seconds waves comin in sets, so one wave right after another. Was fun. The wind was only about six to fourteen knots so if it was light and the wave under you got away, its twin was right behind it. And since you already having forward momentum, a pump or two or if the wind picked up you could get a decent ride.

Sailed for a couple of hours. Sometimes in the sun, sometimes in the shade of clouds. Rained after I got home.

Yesterday I SUPped the same area. Also had fun, but it was totally different. Hardly any swell. No surfers out. Five knots at first and I was wondering whether to SUP or sail. Glad I chose SUP as the water went dimpled-glassy later. Only caught about 4 or 5 waves in the hour and a half I was paddling around, but thinking as how the last time there, there were 50 surfers out, if one was in the line-up they would be lucky to get that many waves in an hour an a half.

Rain started just after I packed up the van. Perfect timing.

Beautiful both days. Water was clear and it felt good to be out on it.
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windward 1 is doing something right. I wanted to get on the water yesterday. Windsurfing - not even gonna try. Surfing - didn't look worth the drive per Surfline. I don't own a SUP - yet.
NickB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
Surfing - didn't look worth the drive per Surfline.

My son and I ignored surfline and headed to linda mar yesterday 11a-1p, got the S (offshore at LM) winds right before the storm, beautiful, and I got barreled for the first time (bodyboarding). A joy reminiscent of my first time planing. After a winter of bodyboarding every weekend, this will be my first ws season where I start in better shape than at the end of the previous season Smile
Also, Friday afternoon for the first time I saw a windsurfer at LindaMar, not much wind but he seemed to have fun on a few waves...
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Privates Reply with quote

Well, Life IS Good!!!

Launched at New Brighton State Beach in about 5 knots of wind gusting to maybe 8 knots. Using my Angulo 10' 10" and Ezzy 7.0 Cheetah. Sailed up the coast to Capitola and rode waves there for a while. Nice, but wanted more wind. The swell had more period to it, so totally different than yesterday. Sun was out over all of the north Monterey Bay. I was in an O'neill Shortie. Every day different. Every day good.

So I left Capitola and sailed out around the kelp bed. Came into the Capitola Wharf via the anchorage. Some more tacks and I was up to Privates. Nice, steep 2 to 4 foot waves running in from the south and coming in sets. The wind was southwest, so side-shore there and so it was a perfect set up. Almost too easy. Only two surfers and one SUPper out. I could ride downwind from them so generally was clear of their efforts. Once in a while they rode a wave all the way down the line to where I was riding it. Wind was about 6 to 12 knots. Up and down, but you could clearly coordinate the wind with the swell sets.

Later the wind clocked more westward and started coming in puffs. It was reall light inside and being after the witching hour of 3-O-clock, I decided to head back to New Brighton. Downwind sailing all of the way and it did not take long. Caught a couple of waves along the way.

Landed and realized I had never fallen in. Was dry and the wind was still at the 5 knots it was when I started from that beach. Guess summer is not here yet and the wind does not 'have to' switch. But felt like summer. And it was nice to do all this in the freedom of a shortie.

Life Is Good!
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges Reply with quote

So Tuesday found me sailing Natural Bridges. Was on my big gear when I could have done well with my 91 L JP FSW and a 5.2 since the wind on the outside was blowing 20 knots. The wind looked light near shore when I rigged so I was instead out on my Techno and 7.0 Ezzy. Got blown off on a couple of outside jibes, but for the most part held on for some fun riding.

Swell was generally small and sets were fairly far apart, but I managed to play on a few and since I had the big gear, I could take them all of the way in. The light wind inside made for some back-winded jibes before heading back out. The wind line was not that far away usually so fairly quick to get back to planing.

The yellow buoy has been set out by the Santa Cruz Yacht Club. Good to have it there. Makes a nice jibe mark and provides one with a bearing when coming outside from different spots.
gerritt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Tuesday Reply with quote

Just a few more miles up the coast from Bridges, the usual three spots were working pretty well. Most out on Mid 80 liter boards and 5.2 to 5.8. Waves up to head high, when the S swell came through. However, there were lulls and one had to be patient and hunt for sets.
johnarmitage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: The Berkeley Sailing Experience Rendered Graphically Reply with quote

Its always the same:[/img]

Berkeley Experience.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.65 KB
 Viewed:  12491 Time(s)

Berkeley Experience.png

windward1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rinse & Repeat. Laughing
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candlestick also came up abruptly yesterday around 4pm... although the wind stayed up until dark. Despite the graph readings, it was solid low to mid twenties. I sailed 4.8/100 powered up and would have been fine on smaller gear too.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 404, 405, 406 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 405 of 427

Jump to: