myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 394, 395, 396 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Carmel Reply with quote

Hi prevett,

If you had launched off of Carmel Beach towards the north end, would the wind shadow have been less and the kelp less thick?

Windward1
prevett

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> If you had launched off of Carmel Beach towards the north end,
> would the wind shadow have been less and the kelp less thick?

Yep, that is where I launched from, just north of the clump of rocks in the water up at the north end of the beach. It's probably the only feasible slot to get in and out. Even there, it took some doing to keep out of the kelp traps. The wind shadow was more of an issue getting out. Coming back in, I picked a little swell crumbler to surf in through the light wind zone.

BTW, I have also launched from Asilomar on a south wind. It was pretty good, but the launch is tougher if the waves have any size.
mch13

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going further south, I remember a spectacular "Wind Tracks" cover shot at Andrew Molera. It was taken from the cliff with the vertical board and sailer getting huge air, parallel to the vertical rock face. It has stuck in my mind as one of the most dramatic windsurfing photos I've ever seen. It might have been one of the Central Coast crew, Matt S maybe? They hit it perfectly, probably late 80's, early 90's.

Guess this time of year, it is mostly reminiscing......for me anyway.

Good for Windward1 getting out to new spots in December. I'm impressed.
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Close to Home Reply with quote

To Lee D & mch13,

Really, going to those spots is really not that impressive. Not like the surf journeys Lee has taken, anyway. I live in Aptos, so these breaks are four miles from my house. So, if feeling the urge (which is almost always) I can get out on that water and be SUPping or Sailing as long as I am willing to have and use gear for the conditions.

If I was a wind snob, I would miss many magical sessions.

Windward1
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new venture is worth equal to the wierdest 1st tries at new spots.
My first time windsurfing, at LakeMerced, was just as exhilarating as my first reach out Schooner's S of PtArena.
My first day at OceanBeach easily equaled the adrenaline of pioneering Hukilau, BrighamYoungBeach, or Sunset with 20 surfer's out.
Heading out at OysterPt. the first time in Sept.'83 was no less an adventure than sailing off Moks and landing at Kammies.
The adventure is perceived by the adventurer, and it's a self fullfilling experience.
I hope you write about your adventures in the ocean, it's cool to see the pioneering spirit still exists. Who knows, maybe MikeGodsey will include you in the credits in the near future.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Bodega, Tue. Dec. 18 Reply with quote

Wind today: excellent.

Sailor condition today: not so good, gut trouble.

Other sailors were out and having a ripping good time on 4.5-6.0.

I was not going to drive out to the site with wind like this and not sail at all, but I was not in good shape. I managed to rig and get the gear (155L as always, 5.0) to the beach with frequent breaks in fetal position for pain relief.

Finally got out but decided that with this degree of gut pain, I needed to limit risk with a symbolic reach out and back just to say that I had not missed the best day since Oct. 20. I did that, and actually made the jibe after not having sailed at all for many weeks. I came out nearly dry.

That was good enough, and I called it a day.
jse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bodega, Tue. Dec. 18 Reply with quote

dsgrntlxmply wrote:
Wind today: excellent.

Sailor condition today: not so good, gut trouble.

Other sailors were out and having a ripping good time on 4.5-6.0.

I was not going to drive out to the site with wind like this and not sail at all, but I was not in good shape. I managed to rig and get the gear (155L as always, 5.0) to the beach with frequent breaks in fetal position for pain relief.

Finally got out but decided that with this degree of gut pain, I needed to limit risk with a symbolic reach out and back just to say that I had not missed the best day since Oct. 20. I did that, and actually made the jibe after not having sailed at all for many weeks. I came out nearly dry.

That was good enough, and I called it a day.

I was there on 10/20 too. And I agree, best day since then. It will be hard to beat 10/20 for me. That was an awesome Bodega day. High water. Pleasant temps. Solid wind. Today was similar without the part about pleasant temps. Get yourself fixed up so you'll be ready next time. You didn't look to comfortable today.

Steve
bert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Coyote on Tuesday Reply with quote

4.7/90ltr at Coyote for an hour right at noontime. No one else there. It was frickin' cold with wind at ~ 20 to 23 mph with good flood chop. Decided to come in when the wind dropped below 20. Not good conditions to be slogging.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short late afternoom sesh at LasMarias, PR. Light breeze 5-17, 5.9 and 111 Hypersonic. It's 77 air temps, 71 water. Rainy today, heading E for a couple of no wind days.
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Stick Dec 19th Reply with quote

Dec 18th at Stick: at least 8 people out, 12:30 to 2:30 with 4.8 to 6.0 ... I was late and with a small board and ended up slogging (and sinking) when the wind died at 2:30. It came back at 3pm in 7-8 conditions. Surprisingly warmish.

Lesson: bring the big stuff in Winter!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 394, 395, 396 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 395 of 427

Jump to: